This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crop recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crop recommendation
    Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 7:39pm
So i just bought a 13 acres field 5 miles down the street. Would like a little input on what to plant. Field is oneida soil which is fertile well drained gravel. Ph is 6.3. Field hasn't been farmed in a number of years. It is grown up with weeds but no sumac or multi flower rose.

I can grow pretty much anything but silage isn't an option (too far to haul wagons ). I am not organic so round up will be in the plan.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 8:01pm
Well, I take it the crop will for your own use?
First what crop do you need?
Are you planning on crop rotation?
What do neighbors in the area need?
When you say ‘too far for silage’, you mean corn silage, haylage?
5 miles is not bad, how road worthy is your equipment?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 8:15pm
More info please…
Oneida County soils?
Average annual growing degrees? Heat units?
Corn 75-115day, soybean 1.6-2.3 maturity ranges?
Cereal grains?
Well drained gravel, so what’s it Slope % ?

Here’s a Cornell Cooperative Extension Oneida County for ag crops general info.
https://cceoneida.com/agriculture/specific-crops

Edited by AC7060IL - 24 Jan 2024 at 8:49pm
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 6:23am
Answer some of the questions it is dead flat, no need to contour. Its extra ground so really don't need to gear it toward what i need for the cows but i could plant a field a home in cash crops. Normal rotation for me is corn, beans, hay and an occasional wheat or triticale if the spring is too wet to get everything in.

My first thought was to put oats on it. I could sell the straw easy but the grain around here is hard to get a heavy enough test weight to sell. Figure oats would help deal with the heavy weed seed population.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 6:50am
If oats are tuff to sell, and you are not set up for on-farm storage for oats, skip that option. Until you get accustomed to the routine of this plot of land in your operation, I’d go corn the first year or two(maybe three) if you are comfortable with corn on corn on corn.
How good are the fences(if any)?
Is water available, either pond, creek, tap? If good fences, and water, why not pasture it?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 9:25am
Do you know anyone with a bale wrapper to rent? Could still do oats but wrap them as haylage, your cows will eat every trace and harvest conditions couldn’t be more forgiving.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 3:40pm
yeah, trying to get anyone to do custom work around here is impossible for an operation my size, though I do agree oat balage is the cow equivalent of chocolate. Ithaca is usually about 2400 degree days growing season.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 3:46pm
Thought maybe a dealership would. Oh well.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 6:29pm
No fences, yet. And there isn't a lot of good tillable ground around here. But if it was the clay that most ground around here is, pasture is exactly what it would be
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 6:37pm
T bone, my dealership would love to help" Doc, let's see if we can get you some equipment that was not made 70 years ago" i bought a new skid loader last year and the salesman thought i was joking. Had to go to the store manager. Alley thought i had a stroke. Just getting too old to muscle everything
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 7:28pm
II meant rent from a dealer. Ya, they’d love to sell me stuff too!

I think corn silage might work. 5 miles isn’t that bad if you have help. Let you get the ground tilled and lots of options to get the weeds under control.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 7:41am
I did oats on a similar field several years ago (90's). Since I was still milking, we cut them green and baled them (only to find that the 44 AC bale thrower on a 444 AC baler does not throw green oats very well at all).

Clean straw brings crazy prices up here on the Canadian border. I see straw for $5 - $6 per bale all the time.  

Just an idea, but maybe your local Cooperative Extension agent would have some ideas.

Edited by WF owner - 26 Jan 2024 at 7:42am
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 1:00am
I would consider soybeans first, reason is you can preplant herbicides to clean up the field and find boundaries before planting and easier to see weed pressure during growing season, second you don't say if it is a square field, odd shape field take extra seed if doing corn. Soybeans could be harvested or if things go south plan B cut for livestock needs. Off season can get in there earlier to clean up field edges and repair any drainage concerns while there isn't much trash on the fields then follow up the next year with corn but this is just thoughts from a farmer in Illinois.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 12:45pm
one of my patients thought buckwheat followed by a cereal grain would br good. have no experience with buckwheat. Isn't it very short season, like 70 day growing season?
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 3:44pm
In our area (5 miles from the Quebec border), buckwheat is planted as late as early July. It's often plowed down as a "green manure" type fertilizer, especially on a field that has not been in production for several years.
IIRC (and it's been a long time), I remember Dad saying that buckwheat was tough to combine, if you are going to grow it for grain. If it gets too mature, it shatters when the combine reel hits it and field losses are very high.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 3:47pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 4:46pm
Hopefully not any saplings in the average, depending on the thatch that is more likely present, is your first challenge. Burn off? Moldboard plow? Chisel?
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 6:55pm
Going to bush hog it then plow it with my disc plow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic