This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Country Of Origin ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Country Of Origin ??
    Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:11pm
It's a "given" that the majority of our (USA's) products come from over seas. Is there any country that offers "higher quality " parts/merchandise than others ?? A friend of mine took possession of an EGO brand cordless leaf blower and I read that it was made in VIETNAM. I really never gave much thought to Vietnam doing global manufacturing Embarrassed.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:31pm
IMPORTS to the US

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Nov 2021 at 5:31pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:33pm
Depends on what your buying... TOYS , TOOLS, CLOTHS, SHOES, CARS
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:44pm
Thanks for the chart Steve. In your opinion, is there better "quality" from one country to another  (tools/parts) ?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:51pm
Depends on what you buy... I have a set of Micrometers for 20 years that were built in INDIA..... I have a dial caliper , drill bit, and dental picks / cutters that were built in Pakistan..

I have bought bearings that were made in France, and thread TAPS that were made in Germany..... I dont think you can pick ONE country and say EVERYTHING they make is the best.

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Nov 2021 at 5:53pm
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:58pm
You would need to evaluate the full system; quality controls, engineering design, means of manufacturing, on time delivery and such. Very open question. What would you pay more for, USA manufactured or from a country with no means? I personally like to buy something that was verified to a standard and tested.

Edited by allisbred - 22 Nov 2021 at 5:59pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:03pm
yep.... 45 years ago i bought a 14 inch wood cut band saw for $275.  I wanted a metal cutting saw.. Ones from the US and Germany were $1500.

I bought the chink model, tore it all down, modified it, built an angle iron base , couple sets of pulleys... and ended up with a steel cutting bandsaw....Original was not quality, not made to spec, not square by any means.... Works great after 100% rebuild. Wink
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:01pm
Anything and everything built in Germany is perfect. If you don’t believe me, just ask one of them!   

German stuff is good, but in my opinion, I’ll give the award to Switzerland. Why? Because in their culture, those who “make things” are still looked up to and is considered a very honorable worth while occupation. The Swiss donated nearly a million dollars worth of machinery to a community college nearby who was launching a new mfg program. I met the Swiss ambassador to the USA on ribbon cutting day, as he explained how proud they were to try and resurrect quality manufacturing education in the USA.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:23pm
if you buy a new "bobcat" brand anything, a vietnam company just bought that company from melroe.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 4:16am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Anything and everything built in Germany is perfect. If you don’t believe me, just ask one of them!   

German stuff is good, but in my opinion, I’ll give the award to Switzerland. Why? Because in their culture, those who “make things” are still looked up to and is considered a very honorable worth while occupation. The Swiss donated nearly a million dollars worth of machinery to a community college nearby who was launching a new mfg program. I met the Swiss ambassador to the USA on ribbon cutting day, as he explained how proud they were to try and resurrect quality manufacturing education in the USA.

"Anything and everything built in Germany is perfect. If you don’t believe me, just ask one of them!"

Sounds like to me your AGCO dealer must be trying to sell you a Fendt. Wink LOL
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 6:08am
as others have said, it's really a krapshoot.
neighbour has a Chinese made  engine hoist, lifting cylinder krapped out..bought a Chinese one..dang it held a SBC up for over 18 months! never moved at all !! so really it's a toss of the coin.
I like to buy whatever I can from Princess Auto, ZERO problems taking ANYTHING back,any reason, even 14 months later. Now THAT is 'customer service'.
Meanwhile other stores... need original box and packing,receipt and 'oh,sorry..it's one day after the warranty period, next....'
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

as others have said, it's really a krapshoot.
neighbour has a Chinese made  engine hoist, lifting cylinder krapped out..bought a Chinese one..dang it held a SBC up for over 18 months! never moved at all !! so really it's a toss of the coin.
I like to buy whatever I can from Princess Auto, ZERO problems taking ANYTHING back,any reason, even 14 months later. Now THAT is 'customer service'.
Meanwhile other stores... need original box and packing,receipt and 'oh,sorry..it's one day after the warranty period, next....'
Just out of curiosity, where are the "PRINCESS" tools manufactured ?
I don't recall Harbor Freight needing the "original" box for returns ConfusedOuch ??

Edited by FREEDGUY - 23 Nov 2021 at 6:16pm
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 6:39pm
Man— Harbor Freight is the last place Id go for quality. Guess I should have mentioned “cost” as an important measurement for evaluation. In most cases, people only purchase what they can afford! HB is great if you don’t really need to use it much.

Edited by allisbred - 23 Nov 2021 at 7:39pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 7:06pm
all off shore , but the 'pro-point' line is pretty good quality. Hydraulic cylinders(shur-lift) are made in CANADA ! Hydroworks is(hydralic valves, linacts) S Korea, some batteries are made in Vietnam(?)

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 7:14am

all off shore , but the 'pro-point' line is pretty good quality. Hydraulic cylinders(shur-lift) are made in CANADA ! Hydroworks is(hydralic valves, linacts) S Korea, some batteries are made in Vietnam(?)
Then in another post, you wonder why steel isn't made in the usa......Hmmmmm.....because most people are like you and vote with their wallet year after year and wonder what happened and why later on.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 7:43am
I worked at Canada's largest steel plant for over 10 years and bought 'local'. Today I get my steel from bartering.
It's absurd that NA steel plants aren't working 24/7.Local one justt buys coal, turns into coke, sells to SA.....used to have 10,000 employees.
IF the guv would add tarriffs to the imports, then LOCAL steel WOULD be made.
Heck if WE have to pay 'world market prices' for oil, we should have a similar system for steel. How about an 'anitlgreen' tax on EVERYTHING coming from countries that pollute ?
BC has been hiy with severe rain(OK they ARE a rainforest) but no one reports WHERE the rain originates from.... just look west...

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 7:50am
"The Government", as in Canada's?  Because the US does still has the Section 232 tariffs in place.  Despite all the mouth running, Biden has been president for  close to a year, and the tariffs remain.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 7:52am
If the steel mills had the ability to manufacture and market product to serve a demanding market for a profit, they would.  Regulations, labor pool, ALL things considered.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 8:05am
'ALL things considered'...
THAT is why nearly everyone buys everything offshore....

higher profit for the mfrs/sellers
low,low prices for the consumers

City here buys manhole covers from INDIA, even though 12 miles away ther's a foundry that USED to make them.....

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 8:14am
i bought 10 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood several months back... It said MADE IN BRAZIL on the side of it........ First time i have seen that.. Couple years back it was CANADA.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 8:22am

'ALL things considered'...
THAT is why nearly everyone buys everything offshore....

higher profit for the mfrs/sellers
low,low prices for the consumers

City here buys manhole covers from INDIA, even though 12 miles away ther's a foundry that USED to make them.....
Really, you don't say?! LOLLOLLOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 9:01am
HEA... I got an idea... Why dont we RAISE TAXES on all them USA COMPANIES !!  That will surely help !!

GOVT is not the solution to a problem.. They are the original CAUSE of the problem.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

i bought 10 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood several months back... It said MADE IN BRAZIL on the side of it........ First time i have seen that.. Couple years back it was CANADA.

Wait until you see a stamp of  "Made In INDONESIA" for a 4x8 sheet of plywood Confused
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Wait until you see a stamp of  "Made In INDONESIA" for a 4x8 sheet of plywood Confused

As long as the "big guy" gets his cut, you don't care, do ya?Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 6:15pm
Them 1/2 inch sheets must have been built with milli-meters as the sheets were about .030 inch OVER 1/2 inch......... instead of the normal 1/32 inch UNDERSIZE.

Edited by steve(ill) - 24 Nov 2021 at 6:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic