This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corn head grease

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orange-is-power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corn head grease
    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 9:23am
This may be a dumb question, but does one use corn head grease in just a regular grease gun? I bought a tube of it and a new grease gun to fill a gearbox and I couldn't seem to get the gun to prime up and start pumping it out. Just wondering. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 10:45am
Air lock , seems every new grease gun I buy I have problems getting them going . The old pne i have had for 30 years works the best . Have newer one for marine grease for jet ski and I have another in my storage unit for my electric eel . I dread when they run out and need a new tube . Very hard to get them going with a new tube.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 11:14am
What do you have to grease on an electric eel? Do you use the marine grease or dielectric?
AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 11:14am
My Lincoln has a fitting near the hose you can loosen and let air out. Other times I have held it upside down, pull the rod back and forth while pumping it.
 Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 11:32am
Loosen the pump/handle end 4-5 turns and start greasing, when you feel resistance it is fully primed and you can spin the barrel back up and keep going as air is purged.
Some of the smaller corn head guns have a rotating handle on the end that you turn to inject the heavier grease. Never tried corn head grease in my regular guns, just use the old screw type that is likely 30+ years old.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 7:34pm
I use cornhead grease in reg guns.   spin the tube loose a few round and start pumping.  in rare cases, turn gun upside down and bang on the side of a would bench, but that's a rare circumstance!

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Dave in il Dave in il wrote:

What do you have to grease on an electric eel? Do you use the marine grease or dielectric?

I use regular grease on a bearing and a bushing on the sewer machine . I keep it in a storage unit closer to town so I keep a grease gun there . I use the marine grease on a jet ski I have. Don't like swapping tubes around so I have another grease gun for that one
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 9:08pm
I used corn head grease in a grease gun. Put the whole tube in the gearbox on my rake, then changed it back to regular grease. Grease guns are a pain. I hate all of them. They work good for a little while, then the next thing you know nothing is coming out.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 8:01am
For years we have used a Lincoln battery gun and I never had trouble with it. The batteries finally went bad a year or so ago and I replaced it with a Milwaukee 18V because we have converted to all Milwaukee battery tools. I think the worst trouble I’ve had with it was having to hold the trigger for about 10 cycles while it primed. I would recommend either gun if someone was considering one. Well worth the $$$
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 8:55am
If you own a hugger head you get accustomed to pumping corn head grease. I have a DeWalt cordless grease gun I run it through. I find cornhead grease more finicky than regular grease. We just slightly unscrew the cartridge to bleed out air.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

If you own a hugger head you get accustomed to pumping corn head grease. I have a DeWalt cordless grease gun I run it through. I find cornhead grease more finicky than regular grease. We just slightly unscrew the cartridge to bleed out air.

You guys speak of corn head grease, is this a"generic" term of grease? We run a black 4/30 Gleaner head ourselves, but I was under the impression that C/H grease was a JD thing??
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 6:05pm
Like Teflon or polytetrafluoroethylene. Ones brand name one is what it is.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 6:13pm
The generic term is thixotropic grease, IIRR...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 7:20pm
John Deere and New Holland sell grease in tubes labeled "Cornhead Grease" just bought some last week at the NH place.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 7:46pm
JD developed it in 1970 to seal up leaks in boxes that would not hold 90 wt gear lube... Regular grease you use in equipment / bushings / pins is called NGLI #2 ... if you want a thinner grade of grease you buy #1............ Corn Head Grease is #0 ... it is thinner to the point that it will run... but thicker than 90-140 gear lube.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

You guys speak of corn head grease, is this a"generic" term of grease? We run a black 4/30 Gleaner head ourselves, but I was under the impression that C/H grease was a JD thing??

I used CNH grease because it’s the cheaper than Agco. Deere is even more speedy.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 8:24am

Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

I used CNH grease because it’s the cheaper than Agco. Deere is even more speedy.

I found a case (12) of JD grease on Ebay for $50.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:21am
Pat, I'm very concerned about the welfare of your electric eel.  It seems cruel to keep it in a storage container.  Is it heated in the winter?  You wouldn't want it to freeze.  How you did you get a live eel from the ocean to Ill.?  And Why the Hell do you have an Electric Eel anyway???

LOL 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:30am
GREEN NEW EEL, silly man!!! All-electric renewable world, HERE WE COME!!! Why, I'm told it even powers next generation electric jetliners, two will do. And it replaces the need for coffee, that electricity-intensive climate-changing beverage of choice for millions - just grab on and you've got your jolt for the day.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:43am
The Dream Wink

100 Miles per Galleon

Edited by chaskaduo - 25 Jun 2019 at 10:44am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:13am
Am I the only one who pulls the rod out to the end so that the pusher is pulled out, then released, a few times?  Sure it's spring loaded, but pulling it out and letting it squeeze back down a few times seems to always move things around.  That always seems to get my gun pumping again.
1951 B
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 12:12pm
Hough, I do that, and / or, I bump the squeeze handle, hard, periodically as I'm screwing the top on, as well as hold down the bleeder fitting my gun has.  Bleeder fitting doesn't seem to do it by itself, but ever since I started bumping the handle, it is primed readily.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic