This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cordless Drill/Drivers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cordless Drill/Drivers!
    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:36pm
A cordless drill is one of the handiest most convenient tools I've ever used. I love them, I've had several over the years. The same thing always happens with all of them. The batteries will eventually no longer take charge, and the drill becomes worthless. What's the point in buying a drill that will last you a lifetime if the batteries are only going to last three years? I have two nice Dewalt drills. All four original batteries are long gone. About two years ago I bought a new battery at Lowe's. I gave $70 for it. The only reason I didn't get two is because it would have cost as much as a new drill. How can they sell a drill, two batteries, charger, and case for about the same as two batteries? The battery I got at Lowe's I believe was better then the original ones, but now it's starting to show its age. I went back to Lowe's the other day to get yet another one, but they no longer had that kind. That's another bad thing about cordless drills, they keep changing them. The new batteries didn't look anything like my old one. So, I went on line and found what I needed. A two pack for only $27. Well they came today, and they are junk. I charged one up, and the drill only had half the power as normal. It wouldn't even sink one 2 1/2 inch screw before stalling out. So I'm thinking I'm done buying the name brand Makita, Dewalt, and Milwaukee. Harbor Freight has a cordless drill for $16.99. If it only last a year, throw it all away and get another. It will be cheaper in the long run. They're all disposable in my opinion. Sorry for the rant, but what do y'all think?
Sponsored Links

omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:45pm
After having all my tools stolen when my work truck was taken in 2005 (I got the truck back without any tools), Makita and Milwaukee had just come out with their 18 volt systems.  I picked Makita because I had always had their tools.  Yes, the batteries are expensive! After buying the third battery I usually just buy a new kit!  Now they came out with their 36 volt system (same battery, just 2 on the tool) and LOVE them!  I rigged up a deep cycle marine battery with a 500 watt inverter so I can charge them up with out 110 volt available.  Cordless tools are not for the faint of heart.  They are expensive to operate, but save an equal amount of time, IMHO!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:55pm
I'm still on my 4 year old Ryobi 18+ kit from HD,though I've bought 2 more as the 'kits' are cheaper than just batteries ! Aside from being dirty they still work very well.(have 2 brand new ones in boxes still), 3rd set came with an EXTRA battery too ! I 'rescued' an old style Ryobi recip saw, took out the safety and batteries fit/run fine(makes great pruner BTW) Yeah, it makes ZERO sense...like WHY could I buy the ice maker unit for my LG fridge $100 CHEAPER AND free delivery from a 3rd party and NOT directly from LG ?

Also..
I use a car battery to power a 1200 watt UPS that powers an electric polesaw. Allows me to stand in my 5by8 trailer to prune branches safely .. D-14 pulls trailer...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:56pm
Get the Bauer line or Hercules line from Horrible Fright and buy a couple of the larger batteries. They cost a little more but are still less expensive that Dewalt. I have two driver drills, two 1/4 impact drivers and a 1/2 impact all Dewalt 18V and the batteries are slowly dying. Bought a Bauer driver drill , 1/4 impact and hedge trimmer along with a couple of extra batteries a couple of months ago. So far I am happy with them. Thanks for the heads up on the online Dewalt batteries, I was thinking of ordering some. Batteries Plus can rebuild the Dewalt batteries but the last time I checked a rebuild was $49 and back them I could buy a pack of two from Lowe's for $98 on sale and get a 10% discount on top of that.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:17pm
X2 on the ryobi 18 volt line.  Batteries haven't changed in design, in years.  They have gone to Li-ion batteries, though, and they can't take freezin weather...  Other than that, I love them.  2 favorite tools are the impact driver drill, and the 4-1/2" grinder.  Oh, and if you want batteries, there are aftermarket batteries, on the innernut, at about half the price that HD sells them for...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:18pm
I use Milwaukee 12 volt and 18 volt drills , impact drivers and sawzalls . I use all of them almost every day . I have had great service from the place I buy from . I pay a little higher there than box stores/wholesale houses but any problems they exchange for new. In cold weather I bring the batteries inside at night (my van sits outside) and I am sure that extends life . From what I have seen if these batteries are not used everyday they will not last.

Was just on a large job and the general contractor had a bank of 20 Dewalt batteries he had to keep track of . He claimed no one goes home until all the batteries are accounted for . Seriously though he thought Dewalt made the best batteries for the money .

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 10 Oct 2019 at 9:25pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 10:04pm
Ranse.......... I got the same problem but with Craftsman... I bought the 19.2 volt about 15 years ago... have gone thru 3-4 sets of batteries and have 3 extra drills and 3 flashlights due to buying "packages"... I use the Skill saw, recip saw and impact the most... Couple years ago I bought the " 2 for $30." batteries off the internet and they have worked GREAT... I plan to keep doing that as needed... Maybe you just got a bad one... I would guess the same guy makes batteries for Harbor and the rest... I know they have several different sizes or capacities ( all the same voltage).. this is amp Capac.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 10:07pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 10:23pm
I have switched to 20 volt Dewalt. I still have some of my old 18 volt stuff and a couple decent batteries. Right now if I was starting from scratch I’d buy Ridgid at HD with the lifetime warranty on tool and batteries.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 11:28pm
I have a Makita impact driver and a Dewalt drill. I bought 2 new battery's for the drill last spring. Both work great. Seriously looking at a 20+v skill saw. I am always away from the sheds/house working on stuff. Ya I got 3 different generators but non with wheels.   

Edited by 200Tom1 - 11 Oct 2019 at 10:43pm
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by 200Tom1 200Tom1 wrote:

I have a Makita impact driver and a Dewalt drill. I bought 2 new battery's for the drill last spring. Both work great. Seriously looking at a 20+v skill saw. I am always away from the sheds/house working on stuff. Ya I got 3 different generators but non with wheels.   
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 12:22am
Back in '06, I bought a Bosch 36 volt drill with two Lith-ion batteries and it is still going strong. BIL bought two of them at that time also, and he had to buy new batteries a couple years ago for his. Thing is a brute. We were taking down a bolted quanset building and Nephew picked it up and put it on a bolt and twisted right out of his hand and over the side it went busting the drill housing. Bought a new housing for it and back to work with it.  Drill and batteries have never sat outside in the cold or rain in the 13 years.
Bought a 1/2" Milwaukee impact with the red lithium M18 batteries and don't plan to leave that out in the cold either.
 All my other battery powered tools have died over the years, batteries just didn't last.. 

200Tom1,  When you make a mistake in your message, and see it after it is posted, you can go up to "Post options" and click on it  and it will give you choices like 'edit post' or 'Delete post'.
    If you choose edit option, you can open it and make corrections or add to it... or delete all you wrote but will still show that you had posted but nothing there for words...
   If you want to change stuff and have a clean post, and nobody has made a post after you, then you can highlite what you wrote, copy it, and then delete the whole post and go back to message box and past your copy in and change it and then hit post reply.  Approve
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 5:02am

Chit,,JC,,I thought ole Tom was just trying to be "Expressive",,,,,LOLLOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 5:52am
OK... hint on 'dead' battery pack.
One of my 4yr old used-abused Ryobi 18+  batteries wouldn't charge,so I tried to order battery cells from China. nope, can't ship(planes/fires I suppose).....they are '18650' used a LOT in tools and vaping machines(sigh). Anyway, I tear battpack apart...yeesh, friggin itty-bittycomputer in there on top of 5 18650 cells. I check voltages, one cell <2 volts. So I connected a 3 volt power supply(yeah, like WHO has them ???) to 'dead cell' for 3-4 minutes to put a minimal charge on the 'dead cell', it reads 2.3ish... close up pack, toss on Ryobi charger and it works. Maybe not as long as before, but still it works.

If you're reasonably handy, they are easy to change....

Jay

Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:01am
Rance, I got one of those HF cordless that you referred to.  I should have returned it when I took it out of the box - no power.

I would be willing to try the line that Hubert recommenced though.

i just do not have the heart to toss that HF one and it just sets on the bench in retirement.

Well I finally did it.  That drill and charger are residing in my trash can.  Iffin you can reach that far it will be there until Thursday.  LOL

Edited by Dave H - 27 Dec 2019 at 8:12am
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:11am
Ranse,
They have us hooked on Battrees!
Same problems on this end too! I found I had a faulty charger.
 I have converted my 18v Dewalts to 20 volt with the adaptors. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 10:20am
I have a complete set of B&D firestorm tools. 9 tools if you include wife's weed wacker. They kept the same battery pack for many years built in the same plant along side dewalt using the same internal parts. Battery's finally started going bad won't hold a charge. Bought 3 NMHI replacements higher A/H rating than the older batteries and hold charge a long time. No matter what battery you use if it's left in the charger long term it'll go bad. I bought some cheep NoCry tools from Amazon this year. They are lithium battery's and work great. They had large numbers of good reviews and I'm happy with them. It's warm in my shop so cold weather shut down isn't a problem.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 12:40pm
I have the 18v Ryobi.  Tools all work great but I must have 5 chargers and as far as I can tell, only one works,  When I first got Ryobi they had the big batteries.  The newer ones have the half size LiOn batteries.  The guy at the store told me, Charge the new ones in either charger, but never charge the old type in the new type chargers.  I'm not sure if that is true, never tried it!

I watched a video on replacing bad cells in batteries.  It appears easy enough, you buy the $12 HF batteries and tear them apart to use the cells from them.  With all of the batteries I have and all of the Ryobi tools I have I guess I should. 

D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 1:18pm
Wink If we cheap folks would hold a gun to all the manufactors to use the same battery,LOL we'd all be rich. Well at least so prosperous we could have better than that black label beer.LOL

If your daring watch all the youtubes on how to revive the old batteries. Some of those are trying really hard to get a darwin award.LOL

After the batteries for a 12vt drill I had died, I tried to put wires from a auto battery to it I got nothing. I read it works Cry but not for me. Or did I Confused do it wrong, only 2 ways i could see. But that is like corded anyway so,it was just cause kind a thing.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 2:24pm
'new' cordless devices have computers in them, batteries have 'chips'... so you may not be able to use other batteries on certain devices. Same holds true for printer 'toner' cartridges... say they're empty but 15-25% left in them...
I made good money 'foolin the computer' years ago....

I just wish I could BUY 18650s from China...sigh...

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 2:56pm
Bought Dewalt 18v 3/8, 1/2' and driver units years ago, still have them where take my extra and aged batteries to Batteries plus to have the bad cells replaced so can run again. 1/2' hammer drill has been thru hell and gone while still just gets it, the one older 3/8" I have has been dropped several times, knocked the trigger out of it twice only to snap it back into the hole. Not had a need to get any others and had these since 1999.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 5:52pm
I only buy OEM batteries, I have Dewalt and Milwaukee drills but I get on ebay and buy new, open box batteries or drills.  There are several guys who make a living buying kits on sale or multiple deals, split them up and sell all the pieces at about half the cost of new.
Maximum use of available resources!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 9:21pm
I have a 8+year old Porter Cable drill and impact driver, lives in the service truck 24/7 365.25 days a year. one of the original batts crapped out about 3 years ago. Purchased 2 rebuilts from Amazon. They are better than the original and still going
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 11:23pm
I bought a B&D battery drill and liked it a lot, came with 2 batteries and a charger. I went back to buy another battery and it was $49. then checking the tool isle I saw another drill with the 2 batteries and charger for $48. so I bought that, they were the 18V ones. I have since bought a couple 20V drills and other things like the 15 ft pole saw. I need a couple more batteries for the 20V tools. i'll find them somewhere hopefully. I too see the 40V tools, may hafta buy them just to get the batteries?
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 7:33am
20 years ago or so I bought a Makita 18V 1/2" impact and 1/2" drill. Very compact and real strong with good battery life. Lithium batteries. Used the heck out of them for everything for years. The battery charger started not charging them, needed new batteries from what I understood, something in the batteries wouldn't let the charger charge them. $150 apiece for batteries. No..... Charged them with a 12V auto battery charger for awhile and something told me to stop that and I figured they would probably blow up at some point.

Use a Dewault 12V driver and 3/8 drill and have a Milwaukee 18V 1/2" and 3/8" impact now. Very happy with them.
They have come a long way
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:17pm
I have older B&D firestorm you can run the new lithium 20 volt batteries on them with a 10 dollar adapter
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:29pm
I think one thing they should do is take old tools and batteries back for recycling when you buy new ones just like automotive batteries. Seems like I am accumulating dead tools and batteries and also rechargeable LED lites. 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:26pm
Wink Some days you get lucky Clap some not so good.Cry Last Friday not so good. My pickup and move it around tractor had a low tire on the back. Put air to it and water wanted to leak out (yep we get away with plain water LOL ). So called the tire guy,he would order me a $50 tube CryCryCry for Monday. So I aired up the leaker on Chey hooked to the welder,Cry darned if it didn't want to be a big leak too.

So the old Craftsman 19.2 impact took the tractor tire off. Clap Got a nice pair of used 16 x 285 for the old Chey when they fixed tractor tire. With a fresh charge that battery put the tractor tire on and took the pair off and back on the Chey and had a lot left yet. The tires on the old Chey have not been off in longer than I can remember.

Someday's the batteries can be a real disappointment. Cry But other days they can be a real help.Clap
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 2:28pm

Like  I said before!
ArthurDHardwick View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurDHardwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 9:50pm
Impact guns are nice. With newer technology they have a ton of options out there. I run an Dewalt 887 and a Milwaukee Surge. Both have a screw assist mode that will not allow you to not over drive screws. They make drill bits now that work with impact guns too.

At the end of the day though, I use a 12v drill for almost all of my household work. I use those two impacts for assembling furniture projects because of the assist mode but I installed two wall mount TVs in the last two weeks and never broke out an impact gun, just my drill for pilot holes and screwing into studs. Having the option is nice. Also lithium is what you want. I would check out DeWalt, they make awesome home owner tools and have a lot of options that are all cost conscious.
Happiness can exist only in acceptance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic