This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conscience got the better of me.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conscience got the better of me.
    Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 12:55pm
I've been looking for some scaffolding to do a roof. Saw some locally on Facebook. Also spotted a snap coupler drawbar lying in the background. Met the guy, bought the scaffolding. As I stood there I saw a clean looking 180.   I asked about the drawbar. We started talking tractors, agreed on a price for the drawbar, and then he says: "Give me $2000 and I'll throw in the 180, I drained all the fluids and changed them and now I can't get it to steer or lift anything. I bled all the lines, but it seems like the pump is broken." We walked over to it, he pulled out the power director dipstick and it's overfull. I pulled the hydraulic dipstick and of course, bone dry. Completely serious, he says "I didn't think that was a dipstick, what's that one do"... At that moment I think I could have given him a line, handed him cash and he might have been none the wiser, but I couldn't do it. Told him what was probably wrong, and sure enough that fixed it. Now he's keeping it.   He was so happy he gave me a seat from a D-17, a WD starter and a set of snap chains that will fit my disks so I got paid consultant fees.      
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 1:09pm
NICE ! You made TWO guys happy by being honest.
3 , when you include me !
I think when he goes to sell the 180 YOU will be the first call he makes too !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Steve A View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 1:36pm
Thanks! I had the same "if he puts it up for sale" thought. Not enough room in my shop for it right now anyway!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 2:04pm
A person can buy tractors and parts.

One cannot, however, 'buy' genuine friends, nor fabricate honor...  it can only be earned by doing the right thing when circumstance places us at the juncture of concience and opportunity.

You chose the 'high road'.  While you may not have walked away with a 2k 180, but you won a much greater prize money cannot buy.

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 2:24pm
That’s the way to do things, good man.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

A person can buy tractors and parts.

One cannot, however, 'buy' genuine friends, nor fabricate honor...  it can only be earned by doing the right thing when circumstance places us at the juncture of concience and opportunity.

You chose the 'high road'.  While you may not have walked away with a 2k 180, but you won a much greater prize money cannot buy.

Yes sir Amen my thoughts exactly
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 4:58pm
We all see so many things go the wrong way these days. It’s very refreshing to read this.
Thank you for sharing this story. It helps us all to see good.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 5:50pm
Nicely done.
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 7:43pm
Well done Steve A. Well done.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 8:19pm
Steve A., I don't believe you at all.
 First off, from what I read up to the point of "he pulled out the" and the story went wonky.  Bet it was the transmission dipstick he pulled and you screwed out the power direct/hydraulic dipstick. Wink the rest of the story I believe.
Good man, even if you did make a momentary slight mistake in labeling the fill holes.  I sure hope you said to him that if he decides to sell it, that he calls you FIRST... cuzz I find that when they get ready to sell something , it doesn't matter who helped them to get it fixed, they just sell it.

Oh yea, here was a brain poof moment, I am pretty use to of filling the hydraulic/pd when the oil level is low on the 170 AC, then one day time to start cutting hay, I hooked up the D17 to the haybine and header wouldn't lift, so I add oil to the PD hole and the header still wouldn't lift. Then I suddenly remembered the tractor had the separate fill hole for the hydraulic. Sheesh after being around the older D17 for 50+ years, you woulda thought that a fellow should remember that in his sleep.Confused 
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 8:52pm
Steve, you did good! Honesty is the best policy.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 9:16pm
There are people who would have took advantage of the situation. Those same people scream when someone takes advantage of them! Steve you did right! You are not one of those people!
Steve A View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 9:33pm
JW: Not that it matters... He was on the passengers side (right) of the tractor. I was on the drivers side (left). He pulled the galvanized round vented cap one by the power director lever. You kind of half turn that one and lift it like a radiator cap on the ones I have. I unscrewed the one by the clutch with the hex head. All I know is when he drained his side--which was way overfilled-- to the correct mark, and then filled the hex one to the correct line everything worked, and he was pretty happy--and the asking price probably went up a whole lot.
I've got a 170 and a 175 of my own. I remember the first time I walked up to my tractor and saw the hex dipstick I wondered what it was, and why it was different. Concluded after a while the one on the clutch is threaded because that's the side to get on and off, and I kick it with my foot every once in a while as I do. The one by the power director only gets bumped going through the woods by limbs.
Now if it had been another gas 175, I might not have been so quick to help him figure out what was wrong!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 1:58pm
You can sleep good at night knowing you done the right thing.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 4:07pm
and the other positive side effect... is that we may become graced by a new enthusiast amongst our group!!!
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic