This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compression and Cam Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compression and Cam Question
    Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 5:06pm
I recently bought a wd45 that's been used for general purpose (bushhogging) but was built for pulling. It has also been pulled for several years on the same buil. To my knowledge the build was done some 7 or 8 years ago. The tractor seems really strong and I did win a couple first place trophies the other day.  When I was pulling though at high rpm's the engine would pop like I was running out of cam until it got under enough load to slow the engine??? The engine doesn't smoke and my main question is whether my compression is right @ 150lb? It is 150 exactly on every single cylinder. Asking around it seems as if its a little low or maybe 20 or so lbs?? I dont know which pistons are in but do know its got the over bore 4.125'' kit in it. Mainly wondering if I re-ring it would it help my compression or if it would re-juvinate my engine??? It is strong, Im actually having to put a clutch in it now because its slipping. The previous owner pulled it at 6000lb and almost made it to 300' before it slipped the clutch because he was trying to find where it would run out of engine at. Just looking for some easy power! Thanks in advance.

Edited by TennMatt1 - 16 Nov 2015 at 5:08pm
1954 WD45
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 6:25pm
150 puts it in the D17 stock range.
What engine code is on the side of the motor?

You are pretty much guessing what is in the motor
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
TennMatt1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 6:35pm
Yes just going by what previous owner said. I was there when they were put in but dont know what brand...They looked like the factory ones. Its a 45 engine. by serial number its same year engine so probably factory block. Charlie do you think re-ringing it would help it? Im sure it wont hurt though.

Edited by TennMatt1 - 16 Nov 2015 at 6:39pm
1954 WD45
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 6:51pm
put a little oil in each cylinder  and re check compression if it goes up then rings will help stays the same go in different direction cause problem is not there
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
TennMatt1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 7:00pm
There's actually nothing wrong. I was just curious if I could build a little more horsepower. Everyone will be coming out next spring with fresh engines in my club..As of right now there shouldn't be a problem at all handling them. Not at the same pull but the same track and sled I put 100'+ on there farthest pull. But like I said that was last this past year and I know some intentions. Just like to stay ahead of the game. Plus I'm taking it to tunica and rings are pretty simple cause I wont ever bore it further. If it wont help then I won't fool with it.

1954 WD45
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 7:25pm
Check and adjust valve lash, index your plugs, Use a vacuum gauge to optimize your timing and carb adjustment. Your rings are fine. Buy the best fuel you can.
TennMatt1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 8:16pm
What should valve lash be? And where would I hook vaccum gauge.
1954 WD45
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 8:33pm
You need to get manuals for your tractor and study up. You can also search utube for tips on all the diagnostic uses of a vacuum gauge. You can learn a lot by reading older threads here, go to the last page and work forward.   
TennMatt1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TennMatt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 11:01pm
I've been making my way through for some time now. You are right ,it's packed with info. I just set up my tractor with a date with a old timer. His tractor was put together years ago and is probably well over 100 hp...He said he'd fix me up to the best it will do and show me about them along the way. 
1954 WD45
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic