This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Component or Ag Chassis??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Component or Ag Chassis??
    Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 7:25am
Just wondering what is the better way to go, component, or ag chassis? We can build components here in Ontario. Component seems the way to go, as it is strong, and you can change ratios easy if necessary. Plus you don't have to go find a tractor and butcher it for pulling. I suppose that the chassis would be easier to sell down the road as well. This would be for a light pro stock class, 401 ci limit and 8000lb limit. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links

rowcropmafia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowcropmafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 12:19pm
Sounds like you answered your own question
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 2:00pm
If you are starting from scratch and you can use a component then its a no brainer. Much easier and probably more efficient and more reliable than an ag chassis. Easy pick for me. Wish we had the option here.
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 3:04pm
I hear you. The tranny could be the expensive part...
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 3:12pm
No doubt it won't be cheap. But if you get the right one you will only have to do it once. By the way, they don't give custom gears and shafts for an Ag transmission away for free either.

Post pics whenever you get started.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 11:43am
At 8000 LBS the component chassis will not be that expensive. I see Crutchfield has one for sale on pulloff.com right now and the way I understand the ad is the tires and wheels are with it, for the price it's a bargin.

When you want to run light though the component chassis cost a little more, but at 8000 they cost less, unless you want to spend more up front for a more saleable product in the end. At 8000 lbs I just don't think you need to be to fussy for the horsepower you're going to make.

We had a big Kipplinger transmission and sold it, bought a new Pro-Fab 3 speed transmission for our component light super stock, I think it was $4750 for the tranny at the time. You can buy a lighter tranny for more $$$$ also. The transmissions do not come with any shift linkage, we built a setup in the shop, an afternoon to figure it out and a day to build it. Dave Pfund, Performance Fabrication in Mondovi Wi. makes a shift kit for purchase. Gear ratios are easy, we run a 4 to 1 planetary, and a X.XX to 1 ring and pinion, the transmission is direct, 10% over and 10% underdrive. I can just put in a faster or slower ring and pinion if I want to change but for our class, weight, and our engine, and turbo setup this works pretty good. I usually run direct but it's handy to have a faster and slower gear for certain conditions. I'd like to build a new lighter chassis sometime and thought about just running a reverser and only 1 forward gear. I just don't want a lot of choices to make when I back up to the sled. In our class (505 CID pushrod engine, 4 turbo max) it seams that everyone is 2000-3500 HP depending on the tuning of the engine, how many parts you wish to buy and how hard you want to push it, there's no way I'm going to get on a cast iron chassis and cut that kind of power loose at 6200 lbs.

Don't let anyone fool you how easy and cheap a component tractor is though, by the time you're done they are a lot of work and money, but the ag chassis will be more.   

Edited by wi50 - 16 Sep 2013 at 11:49am
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic