This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Combine reel goes up- not down?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dertz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Combine reel goes up- not down?
    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 10:33pm
I've got a '68 Gleaner G. Suddenly, the reel refuses to go down. I have to bleed the lines on the head to do so. It goes up just fine. All the other hydraulics work just fine and responsively, including the variable speed for the reel. The reel used to go up/down just fine. Then, after sitting outside for a few months, this problem arose. I replaced a steel hydraulic line on the header that was heavily dented, thinking that might be the problem- but no change. There's some very slow leaking out of the hydraulic control unit by the pump, but that's always been there since I've had the combine (7-8 years) and before this problem started.   Suggestions?
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 6:22am
OK, dumb question to ask ,but... ANY chance the safety lock is on ?? On my A there was a 'bar/lever/chunk of metal/??' that kept the reel up...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 6:37am
Sounds like bound up linkages not fully moving the valve spool or out of adjustment

Edited by im4racin - 07 Sep 2020 at 6:38am
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 6:48am
Possibly the quick-connectors ??
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:03am
There is a plastic poppet in reel lift valve that can break causing this problem. There is a plug on valve above spool valve. Support reel and remove plug. The metal shaft will some times push through the plastic.
Also check couppler at header, point will wear off.        MACk
dertz19 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dertz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:55pm
Thanks for the suggestions- I'll give them a try!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 6:30pm
Any progress on the reel going down ??
dertz19 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dertz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 9:44pm
Unfortunately, I developed a problem- presumably in the carb- and I can't get the combine started. Hopefully that gets rectified soon...
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:41pm
had that happen on my "G" combine once, like Mack said...it was the connectors, replaced them and all was well.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 4:34am
Another problem that can develop is a an old hose can have a flap of rubber come loose, and act like a check valve.  Allows flow, in 1 direction, cuts off flow the other way...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 6:23am
Sorry to hear about the "NO-GO" issue Confused, hopefully that's a simple fix Smile .
dertz19 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dertz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 9:38pm
UPDATE
Finally got the G running (looong side note- it was running great, then would suddenly quit. Would restart quickly etc. Then finally quit and would only fire once/twice on restart before dying. Thought for sure it was a fuel supply/ carb problem. Turned out to be a bad resistor).

Anyways, I checked the plastic poppet valve on the control unit by the hydraulic unit as per MACK- that was fine (who would have thought a non-cosmetic part on a '68 Gleaner was made of plastic?).

Next, on to the appropriate 1/4" hydraulic male poppet connection on the header. Wasn't optimistic about finding one that size at one of the local fleet stores on a Sunday, but did after a few stops. Noticed the collar on the new one was located differently than the old, so I was skeptical it would fit, but then realized I have updated the hoses/ connectors coming from the combine in the past. SOOO, turns out THAT was the issue. After installation- EUREKA! the reel goes up and down. 

Curious thing is that I'm pretty sure I updated the hoses/ connectors coming from the combine AFTER this problem with the reel started several years ago. I have decided not to worry about it now. haha.

Thanks for all the advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic