This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Combine choices.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkscreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Combine choices.
    Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 7:57am
My Deere 4420 laid down on me yesterday to the point of not fixing it. So do I take this opportunity to get a gleaner and if so what models would you guys recommend. I need to stick with a 4 row machine with no bigger than 13ft header. I have also thought why not buy another 4400 or 4420 and have almost a whole combine of parts available.
Sponsored Links

tomstractorsandtoys View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 8:08am
I know this is an Allis forum but I would look at getting a Deere 6600. The latter ones have a 404 engine and most of the parts will interchange with your 4420. Dad had several Gleaner machines E,E III and an F. He went to a 3300 and later a 4400. In corn the Gleaner was a great machine but we had some hills and with heavy straw (usually 100+ small square bales per acre) the Gleaners would let to much grain go out the back. He never cut beans with the Gleaners but was told they were very good.  The Gleaner was easier to work on but Dad thought they needed worked on a little more often than the Deere machines did. Tom
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 8:57am
F2 or F3 would make you a good machine, but like the 4420, they are getting some age on them. They are a good machine and easy to work on.          MACK
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 9:09am
lots to be said for a spare parts machine for major components - the only issue is usually the wear parts are equally as worn and of no use.
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 9:35am
I think an R-40 or R-42 would be a very nice replacement for a 4420 combine.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:23am
Under stand the parts thing but I always thought the 6600 were not a very good unit, didn't own one but combined with a neighbor who had one.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:51am
6600 would be older than a 4420 too.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 11:09am
Yes, F2/F3/R40/R42, 4400/4420/6600, or 1440/1640, etc??? All older machines, so might figure out where your best Kentucky? (Or closest) combine salvage yard location and see which brand/models are most plentiful? Comes down to whichever suits you.
MattLF9 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattLF9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 1:12pm
If you don't buy another Deere, I would seriously look at getting a 1978+ F2 or F3.
These combines had the long walkers and cleaning shoe.
We have had a 1980 F2 here for 21 years now and just love it.
A little CQB never hurt anybody.
clarkscreek View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkscreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 7:06pm
Thanks for all the replies. John Deere around me has far and away the best parts support. Also getting another Deere I would still have mine for parts. I had just heard how much better the gleaners were to work on and was wondering if it was worth the switch.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 8:20pm
We love our Allis tractors and have several, but only one combine.   When taking off grain, time is essential, sometimes losing a day can be detrimental. We have thought several times about getting a Gleaner and something bigger than the 4420 w/15’ header. Ours has been very reliable and Deere has a lot of parts support around here. Not sure what you lost but, there are a lot of those machines out there with low hours. Seems like     the 6620’s always have a ton of hours and maybe not worth buying. I just saw a nice low hour 4420 on Craigslist local for 14k. Think I’d stick with it and save yours for parts. JMO
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 8:19am

Our neighbor is a JD fanatic but switched to a R50, I asked him how come and he told me JD is terrible to work on. Loves the machine.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 8:24am
I don’t have much experience with the rotaries but I have spent hundreds of hours in an F2 and F3. In my opinion they are some of the most reliable combines I’ve ever been around.

My uncle had a 4400 Deere and there was no comparison. One year he had a broken leg and couldn’t run it so dad and I went to help. After a day in the 4400 with no auto header control we brought our F2 over and finished up.

Currently we run an L2 with 318 head and 6 row corn head. It’s a beast but I feel like it requires more TLC than the old F2.

We have since picked up a really nice F3 and use it for wheat and red clover and the occasional small bean patches where I don’t feel like taking the L and taking the head on and off. The controls on it make it a pleasure to run.

Done rambling. Good luck
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 10:08am
If you are looking at saving time, stick with the Deere, it will save you on sowing your next crop!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 10:40am
Go with a gleaner and you'll be surprised how much easier they are to work on and keep in the field compared to a Deere. Our next door neighbor went from having to smaller older Deere machines then to one L3 and he loved the L3. He said he pawned those two Deere machines off to the first suckers to come alone. Very hard to work on and dinosaurs to operate compared to the Gleaner. Do pre maintenance and you'll be fine with one. For what they are selling for it would not be hard to find a nice R40 or R50 but a nice M2 or M3 would be great too and less little updates to make it perform vs early R series (though the updates aren't expensive to do or that hard to do). F series are gems and they made gobs of them but I'd take an M series over an F series and an R series over an M series.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

If you are looking at saving time, stick with the Deere, it will save you on sowing your next crop!
Bah.....I can set my 4420 deere just fine.

To the OP, what happened to your 4420 to render it dead?
clarkscreek View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkscreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 12:37pm
A rock went in and broke the cylinder, concave, deflector and feeder house drive shaft. So anyway I'm planning on another one before next summer.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 12:46pm
The combine 'partnership' that I was in dissolved last year. The machine was a 6620, 4400 before that. When I was shopping for a replacement, John Deere was the only thing I WOULD NOT consider! Wound up with a Red one, but looked at some Gleaners too. There aren't to many of them in my price range around here. I really don't know why a green thing needs three times as many belts and chains as anything else but I suppose they had their reasons?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by clarkscreek clarkscreek wrote:

A rock went in and broke the cylinder, concave, deflector and feeder house drive shaft. So anyway I'm planning on another one before next summer.
Yikes!  Well, that would explain it!  I'd look at a 6620 if'n I was you...
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 1:29pm
A Gleaner F, M, or L series would never have that issue when ingesting a rock. Just spits it out on the ground, shut the rock door and move on. A 6620 can do the exact same as your 4420 if you pick up the right rock again.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 1:30pm
Saw a F2 low hour both black heads 4 row on Indianapolis Craigslist for $2000. Wish I had a need for one!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
ranger43 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 2:08pm
We had an MF 300, Gleaner E, 79' K2, (79' JD 6620 for 24 years) and now a 98' Deere 9510. All were pretty good machines, but all required work.

I always felt the sheet metal, shafts and drives on the gleaners were a little lighter than the 6620. That 466 deere motor in the 6620 may it a pretty tough machine especially when we ran a four row head on it. the biggest reason for us to switch to deere at that time was the heads. The Deere headswere so much simpler, especially the corn heads and grain heads have always fed great. I think a guy would be good either way F3, M3, 6620.
farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 2:14pm
Depends on what dealers are around you. and amount of money you want to spend. They all wear out and have problems!!! We use to rebuild a few older machines for farmers to use on smaller acreage. Around here it's all green now.

5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
wheatbreeder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheatbreeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 6:17pm
Have had k, k2 F2 currently have r40 just a bit bigger than f2/f3 would not trade it for anything else 

Farm stuff 8050,6690,175,F2,5050,WD
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 7:16pm
I know I'm late to the party, but we ran a Deere 6600. You couldn't pay me to run another Deere from that era. We purchased a Gleaner F2 (It's similar in size to your 4420) and we've never looked back. It's just a much better machine.  Any of the Gleaner models were rock solid, but we went with the F2 for it's size. I think that would be a great choice for you
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 9:26pm
I watched a very clean IH 1420 with a 17' grain head sell for $3000 last Saturday.  I've heard they do well too.  I think Shameless has a IH, or at least used to. 

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

Bah.....I can set my 4420 deere just fine.

To the OP, what happened to your 4420 to render it dead?
Yeah, I see the fields around here where the Deere guys set theirs just fine too! Anyone can tell them by the green strips in the fields after sprouting!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 10:15pm
I have seen a field where a properly set 6600 did a darn good job, and the grain in the tank was very clean. 
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 11:10pm
We had mixed results with our 6600 there, but that wasn't my complaint. Everything I hated about that machine boiled down to one word: Repairs. That's where I was extremely disappointed with the Deere
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 8:54am
Question about the rotary Gleaners.......can they be setup to harvest small grain and seed crops like red clover, fescue, etc, or are they mostly for corn, soybeans, wheat, etc?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic