This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutches in my WD puller...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 4:24pm
hand clutches are alot alike foot clutches they start slipping way before you know it and get worse till you know it . Most though when that happens wants to change the foot clutch instead of locking out the hand clutch.  The only difference in the foot clutch that you might get the warning its slipping before you realize it is the smoke but the hand clutch is a wet clutch so getting smoke and or linning dust isnt going to happen. some people really should build pullers cause untill they experience it they just cant be forwarned. mrgoodwrench three people myself Drallis and wi have said flywheel weight helps still confused or does it just take wi to make it gospel?

Edited by mlpankey - 15 Dec 2012 at 4:40pm
Sponsored Links

Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 4:57pm
I don't know what a gleaner flywheel weighs, but stock WC,WD, WD45 flywheels are nowhere close to 100 pounds. I use several of these flywheels for weights on a couple of my pullers and they all weigh right at 65 pounds. The total assembly of flywheel, pressure plate, and disc probably only  85 pounds or so. Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Kip-Utah Kip-Utah wrote:

I don't know what a gleaner flywheel weighs, but stock WC,WD, WD45 flywheels are nowhere close to 100 pounds. I use several of these flywheels for weights on a couple of my pullers and they all weigh right at 65 pounds. The total assembly of flywheel, pressure plate, and disc probably only  85 pounds or so. Kip
i need  to weigh one again memory isnt what it use to be . anyways you can tell in the picture the gleanor doesnt have the mass the tractor flywheel does that was more my point than scale weight. If you do what dr. allis described then its at it on the scale.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

I'm a bit confuse on this hand clutch thing. If the wheels are spinning, how is the hand clutch slipping causing a loss in distance? I was always given the impression that the bathed in oil hand clutch was one of the strong points of a AC drive line

Big smile Just another panky wives tale as far as I'm concernedConfused
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 6:55pm
Dr. Allis would you care to post again at what horsepower the hand clutches cannot hold in a wd and wd 45 puller for the guys who can not use the search engine on the farm site where we have talked several times on this before the pulling forum ever came.  wives tail just like adding weight to the flywheel.  pulling site must not just be for pullers. again people should build a puller cause you cant forwarn them before they experience it.

Edited by mlpankey - 15 Dec 2012 at 6:57pm
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Spankey Spankey wrote:

people should build a puller cause you cant forwarn them before they experience it.

You are absolutely correct with that statement. Please post some pics of the pullers you've built. I suspect non-believers will take a step back when they can learn from pictures of your success.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
RWR View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RWR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 7:59pm
i pull dead weight on a hard surface and we like to use the hand clutch the most they pull the the way we pull put you have to use the 3 plate clutch and it will hold at 70 hp.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 8:21pm
well, I wasn't asking for a fight. I'm asking why, if the wheels are spinning, does that equate to lost distance.....or did I misunderstand the original statement? and, again, I'm not arguing, I'm asking, what's the max HP for a WD/45 hand clutch and maintain some reliability? I was always told they were a pretty stout unit. please, no third grade playground "my dad can beat up your dad" BS, lets just have a simple discussion
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by GBACBFan GBACBFan wrote:

Originally posted by Spankey Spankey wrote:

people should build a puller cause you cant forwarn them before they experience it.

You are absolutely correct with that statement. Please post some pics of the pullers you've built. I suspect non-believers will take a step back when they can learn from pictures of your success.
  pictures are all over the web from this site to yt  pulling forum to crossroads of diixie. lou  anything over 85 . the original poster wanted 100 hp setup

Edited by mlpankey - 15 Dec 2012 at 8:24pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 8:31pm
If you have a three disc hand clutch, it will transmit 50% more HP or torque than a two disc hand clutch, if both are in the same mechanical condition and spring pressure. Under an extreme load they could/can slip momentarily and you may not be able to detect the slippage of the wet clutch. I don't use one in my WD or any I've ever built because of the weight issue ( 3500 lbs class) and I don't want ANY chance of slippage to occur.
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 8:47pm
When I had Phil Brown aka D17brown . build my wd45 puller. He mad a hand clutch elimination for it. I might have a pic. Great guy to deal with. and within 80 miles from you. can't find the pic of the hand clutch elimination. But it is strong and light weight.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 8:52pm
all it takes to eliminate it is another hub like the clutch bolts to  slid on the rearends shaft  facing the hub on the transmission and i think three grade 8 bolts washers and nuts maybe four and a 1 inch freeze plug to plug hole where shaft came through.  removes 50 lbs easily cause you dont need as much fluid in tube with clutch removed.

Edited by mlpankey - 15 Dec 2012 at 8:54pm
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 1:11am
Easiest fix for the hand clutch is 3 grade 8 5/16 or 3/8 bolts, drill through the hand clutch and bolt it together. Been working fine for me, course im no commando, I actually have done it and use the tractor so its prolly a bad idea...

Edited by Carl(NWWI) - 16 Dec 2012 at 1:11am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Carl(NWWI) Carl(NWWI) wrote:

Easiest fix for the hand clutch is 3 grade 8 5/16 or 3/8 bolts, drill through the hand clutch and bolt it together. Been working fine for me, course im no commando, I actually have done it and use the tractor so its prolly a bad idea...
that doent remove 50 lbs of unwanted unused weight. But its a way to keep clutch from slipping.   

Edited by mlpankey - 16 Dec 2012 at 8:06am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 10:09am
Why remove it if I pull 4500 and 5500? 50 in the middle is great, I gotta throw 6 100lbs weights on anyway...
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 12:20pm
Sometimes 50 extra on front or rear is more value than 50 in the middle. You should think about it a little bit thats just to easy a answere for a fellow of my pulling experience

Edited by mlpankey - 16 Dec 2012 at 12:21pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 2:50pm
I've got my tractor balanced just fine, so I don't see 50 making that big of a difference. If its in the middle its helping both front and back. If you're that worried about 50lbs you should be more worried about getting a tractor on the track.....
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Carl(NWWI) Carl(NWWI) wrote:

I've got my tractor balanced just fine, so I don't see 50 making that big of a difference. If its in the middle its helping both front and back. If you're that worried about 50lbs you should be more worried about getting a tractor on the track.....
Ok carl your not worried about the weight so your way is ok like i posted but you can loose 50 lbs doing it my way . Now heres the bottom line you were concerned about it slipping or you wouldnt have bolted through it and thats what started this whole post . for me being able to move weight was extra bonus to do it the way i did . six 100lbs weights isnt a task for me to move I usually move 25 of them  by the time i quit pullling.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 5:00pm
Mine sits with 20 weights on it all the time, pull about 15 off, pull it, put about 12 or 13 back on, then put 6 of em on the 190 for the 9500, then throw 20 more on it for the 11,000, then throw 20 of em on for another guy, then finally put em back on mine, yeah, I can handle wieghts too.

Ok, what i did to mine is out there, for the most simplest and cheapest to do it is bolt it together, learned it on this forum about 5 years ago, hasnt broke yet, and Ive brought home plenty of bragging rights and trophies.

Carl.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 7:10pm
Since we have been talking about this does anyone like dr. allis or fred have one of the spline tubes allis manufactured to eliminate the hand clutch back in the day for show and tell.
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

hand clutches are alot alike foot clutches they start slipping way before you know it and get worse till you know it . Most though when that happens wants to change the foot clutch instead of locking out the hand clutch.  The only difference in the foot clutch that you might get the warning its slipping before you realize it is the smoke but the hand clutch is a wet clutch so getting smoke and or linning dust isnt going to happen. some people really should build pullers cause untill they experience it they just cant be forwarned. mrgoodwrench three people myself Drallis and wi have said flywheel weight helps still confused or does it just take wi to make it gospel?

pankey, i said i wouldn't argue the weight issue in a pulling application, i do disagree on a drag strip but lets let it drop as this is a pulling forum... i asked if anyone here has weighted a flywheel because i had never heard of it and no local guys are admitting to doing it...if guys are throwing an extra 100lbs of rotating wieght then it must help...wouldnt matter who said they did, if only 1 then i might be skeptical but several i believe...i have said that i have little pulling experience but i'm the type of guy that likes to learn as much on paper as he can before just biulding something, i usually find that even if you build something in  a lower class the higher class tricks(if allowed under the rules) can be very helpful and i don't like to build things twice unless they break. so now if i ever get to building a puller i will consider weighting the flywheel when it is off to avoid spliting it again if i can't move the sled...as to my comments on the hand clutch, i have never seen any clutch wet or dry, hand or foot, in any application slip under load and still let the tires spin. that would have to be very small ammounts of slippage to still get enough torque to the wheel to spin it.
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 6:32am
Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

pankey, i said i wouldn't argue the weight issue in a pulling application, i do disagree on a drag strip but lets let it drop as this is a pulling forum... i asked if anyone here has weighted a flywheel because i had never heard of it and no local guys are admitting to doing it...if guys are throwing an extra 100lbs of rotating wieght then it must help...wouldnt matter who said they did, if only 1 then i might be skeptical but several i believe...i have said that i have little pulling experience but i'm the type of guy that likes to learn as much on paper as he can before just biulding something, i usually find that even if you build something in  a lower class the higher class tricks(if allowed under the rules) can be very helpful and i don't like to build things twice unless they break. so now if i ever get to building a puller i will consider weighting the flywheel when it is off to avoid spliting it again if i can't move the sled...as to my comments on the hand clutch, i have never seen any clutch wet or dry, hand or foot, in any application slip under load and still let the tires spin. that would have to be very small ammounts of slippage to still get enough torque to the wheel to spin it.
 So you believe we are foolish for removing it or bolting it together and even allis manufacturing a tube to eliminate hand clutch  is . the only time a light weight flywheel has worked for us in a racing application is in dirt track racing where throttle responce off the corner without blowing the tires off is a advantage. If your considering adding mas to the flywheel then you are starting to understand inertia Experience is the best teacher.

Edited by mlpankey - 17 Dec 2012 at 7:24am
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 7:46am
your the MAN PANKEY tell them how its done
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 2:28pm
Not positive that this is the correct coupling or not, but I made some like this to eliminate the hand clutch, easy, simple and effective, no bolts, no cobble job, and no slip.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 6:10pm

Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

So you believe we are foolish for removing it or bolting it together and even allis manufacturing a tube to eliminate hand clutch  is . the only time a light weight flywheel has worked for us in a racing application is in dirt track racing where throttle responce off the corner without blowing the tires off is a advantage. If your considering adding mas to the flywheel then you are starting to understand inertia Experience is the best teacher.

i never called anyone foolish, you'rethe one always one the attack. i have stated several times in several posts that i ask questions to LEARN from people who know more than me(you might try it some time). as for you hand clutch if you think it might slip take it out. i merely asked how it could be slipping and still spinning the tires, fact is if you cant feel it slip you don't know it is while you are running it. onto flywheels...let it go man, clearly pullers benifit from adding weight, do they all add weight, no, so there will always be difference of opinion. and since neither of us drag race anymore i doubt we'll be testing it on the strip either. my car planted my ass in the seat hard off the line with a factory flywheel so i don't think i needed it maybe some guys do in their set up fine. so many forum members know so much it is pretty easy to find one that knows more than another, contrary to what you may think there are some out there that know more than you, maybe not on every topic but you don't know everything...its ok
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 7:46pm
why are you so argumentative if your asking to learn ? now your trying to argue that I am not the smartest person on the site . well start it as another topic and  I will argue that I am if you need to.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 10:11pm

now your trying to argue that I am not the smartest person on the site .

Here I go quoting Mitch againLOL
 I don't see ANY argument. He is simply stating facts.Big smile
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 11:27pm
thanks tucker i thought i might have been typing angry and not seeing it! lol

"now your trying to argue that I am not the smartest person on the site . well start it as another topic and I will argue that I am if you need to."    i see we are in third grade again...i can't believe a post about clutches degrated to this...cotncrzy, i apologize for being involved in killing your thread. wi...nice clutch might have to have you build one for me someday...pankey, grow up

Edited by Mrgoodwrench - 17 Dec 2012 at 11:27pm
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 6:33am
I want to thank everyone for their responses, and welcome more. There is lots of good ideas here. I knew the knowledge here was very abundant. There are suggestions here I dont fully understand, but they keep me thinking. Thinking is what everything is built of. I learned a long time ago not to ask someone a question and then argue the answer... I am new at this sport, we came a long way the first season, and it is all owed to people with opinions that offered them to me. I feel there is room for improvement in the tractor, and experince is the best teacher there is. I have very little, and there is tons here.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 7:23am
Originally posted by cotncrzy cotncrzy wrote:

I want to thank everyone for their responses, and welcome more. There is lots of good ideas here. I knew the knowledge here was very abundant. There are suggestions here I dont fully understand, but they keep me thinking. Thinking is what everything is built of. I learned a long time ago not to ask someone a question and then argue the answer... I am new at this sport, we came a long way the first season, and it is all owed to people with opinions that offered them to me. I feel there is room for improvement in the tractor, and experince is the best teacher there is. I have very little, and there is tons here.
A good reply and your welcome for the thankyou from me if politeness matters to you .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic