This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clutch ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clutch ?
    Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 10:21pm
putinq 426 back in myd21 thinking of going with a 2 disck clutch any suggestions would great thanks
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 6:54am
Why 2-disc ?? ...is this a Puller over 500 HP ??
7040 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 7:15am
hoping 350+
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 7:24am
When you get to the point of running 8th gear, you'll need a two disc clutch. Slower than that, a single disc can be made to work just fine. Modern day pulling sleds start easy and don't require a lot of clutch slipping.
7040 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 9:37am
thanks I will putt in new disc and see what happens
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 10:12am
Originally posted by 7040 7040 wrote:

thanks I will putt in new disc and see what happens

we have here a heavy duty pressure plate, and clutch disc that was holding 500hp fine. We were required to have a steel flywheel, so we got a dual disc for that reason. Now, for safety reasons, if you're willing to buy the dual disc, and planning to continue upping the performance, just buy the dual disc and be done with it. I would have a little slippage with the single disc clutch. Other than some grinding in the bellhousing for clearance, the dual disc is something I wish I'd done a long time ago. Smooth launches, and no worrying about a cast iron flywheel coming apart and killing someone. If you're staying below 10mph, then single disc heavy duty will work, but anything faster really heats the flywheel up taking off. That heat is what makes flywheels explode! Kenny's pulling parts does a nice job on AC clutches, as well as Rursch.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 10:27am
On a 2 disc setup id try to get a foot activated clutch and not a Crowler Slipper , reguardless id try to get a steel flywheel in there, as Ed ssid heat kills everything in there and as cast metal ages it becomes weaker , seems too any way
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 12:05pm
I cringed last night watching some modified allis tractors running big cube 6 cyl. engines turning 3000+ rpm with them old cast flywheels with the smoke rolling out of the bell housing. It's going to take someone getting hurt to get safety equipment on these classes I am afraid.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 12:10pm
You need more than just a new disc. You will need a new FOUR pad disc (not six) and then a pressure plate with stiffer or extra springs inside of your existing springs. I never said a truly stock clutch would hold 350 HP.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 12:56pm
I had a place make a single disc 4 pad plate with ceramic buttons , about a 100 ft I could see the dust coming from the housing ,they said it should hold up too 800 hp , it didn't slip , but the heat build up was too much , the pp just had single springs in it - then found a used Crowler 3 disc once its locked that baby wont slip !
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 1:12pm
All my pressure plates are sprung by myself. I use 6 feeder beater springs from a Gleaner L-2 combine and shove them inside of existing springs alongside each release finger. The Gleaner springs usually need to be shortened 1 1/2 coils to work properly. When starting the engine you'll want your foot off the clutch pedal so it cranks easier.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 1:33pm
Dang you can do almost anything withj Orange Dr A ! I never would've thought of that spring pressure !
7040 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 5:08am
thanks for the info guys
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 6:52am
Atlas seems to be pretty popular
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic