This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch problem
    Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 11:38pm
I resurfaced and balanced the flywheel on my IB, installed a new clutch disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. The bearing yoke and tube are in good shape and  lubed. The pressure plate fingers are adjusted to 1/4". The pedal rod is adjusted to just bottom on the stop when engaged.  However, even through the fingers are depressed, the pressure plate continues to spin.  Any ideas before I split this critter again?  
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 5:10am
Is the clutch disc in backwards? It's very easy to do that (from experience).
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 7:12am
The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel, it spins when the engine is running.  Pushing the clutch pedal does not stop the pressure plate.

When the throwout bearing pushes the pressure plate fingers, the pressure plate is supposed to release the clamping force on the clutch disc.  The clutch disc, between the pressure plate and flywheel, is what is supposed to stop spinning

If the clutch is not disengaging the clutch disc may have been installed backwards, as has been posted.  Not an uncommon happening.
Freewheeling View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 7:57am
Well duh, what was I thinking.  Of course its bolted to the flywheel.  Brain doesn't engage sometimes when I'm pissed.  Can't believe i put the disk in backwards but it's been one of those weeks. I'll find out this morning.  

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 11:40am
The disk was installed correctly. Everything looked good.  I remembered seeing a spec that called for 1 13/16 between the face of the disk and the contact point on the fingers.  Not even close.  With the adjustment screws all the way I get 1 3/8. That would explain why I'm not getting separation.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 10:34pm
I called Kentucky Clutch and they said I should add a washer under each pressure plate bolt or replace the finger bolts with longer ones.  Moral of the story - Don't just adjust the fingers to 1/4". Verify that the initial setting on your reman pressure plate is correct.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 12:42am
To be able to work in the access hole for clutch adjustment is very tricky to say the least. I have adjusted the clutch on several and I'm not really sure where you are making the 1/4" measurement? When you have good adjustment you only have a few thousands of an inch between the fingers and the throw out bearing. Please share your success story once you get the clutch working right, thanks.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 6:42am
In all the years I've pulled CA tractors, I've done a lot of engine switching. I found that matching the distance from the rear of the engine block to the throwout finger tips resulted in better clutch function than measuring the distance to the tips from the driving disc. This would be because of the variables involved: resurface flywheel, resurfaced driving member in the pressure plate and varying driving discs thicknesses. To this end, I made a jig for adjusting the fingers, it make a one time installation.

If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 7:52am
Make sure the bushing in the flywheel is lubed good if not the shaft will turn
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 10:00am
The 1/4" is the space between the throwout bearing and the contact point on the fingers, I have a 1/4" square bar bent to allow it to fit through the hole.  My I&T shop manual says to just adjust the fingers to 1/4" with each of the 3 being within .010 of each other. (Good luck with that.) Then the clutch rod to where it has 3 threads showing.  Since the rod that was in mine was a cobbled job, that wasn't reliable.  

My Allis Chalmers service manual says to adjust the fingers to 1 13/16 from the clutch disk to the contact point and then adjust the clutch pedal to get the 1/4 ".  It states there are usually 1-2 threads showing and to make sure the pedal hts the stop on the torque tube.  The trick with getting an accurate 1 13/16" is to place the clutch disk where there is not a spring under the finger.  
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 10:02am
You should market this! Thumbs Up
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:42pm
I have a jig similar to Paul's. I also have a fixture to set the clearance between fingers and throw out bearing while tractor is split, no guess work. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:25pm
the wick in the end of the crankshaft didnt get pulled out to far that keep it spinning 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:59pm
Nope.  I installed an oilite bushing instead of a wick.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:08pm
What's the distance from the block to the finger?  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic