This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch Grind on 7040 PS Clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch Grind on 7040 PS Clutch
    Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 12:34pm
  Ok, before we start to save conversation time & space this is my 3rd rodeo & I do know how to use a clutch break!  That being said, my A/C 7040 has a Power Shift Trany.   I only use the clutch break for transmission range changes & reverse (I've only put about 80 hours on tractor, & had the tractor about 1 year & can't vouch for other guy)!    Everything works like it should, pulls good, shifts perfect, etc.  but when I go clear to floor with the clutch pedal I get a nominal but very distinctive grinding noise.   I've also noticed Hi/Lo range changes(tractor standing still) have to be done gently & slowly to prevent any gear grinding.   ON a  typical truck clutch I'd say that the clutch break facing is gone .    Can't seem to find much Info in the Service Manuel about Torque Limiter Clutch design or adjustment.    Tractor has 38XX hours on it and has never been a loader tractor.   Always a tillage and planter unit.    Any thoughts would be appreciated.    Thanks,  Housemover
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 3:49pm
Many PST tractors make a hydraulic buzzing noise when in the "brake" mode. Nothing to worry about.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:50pm
Sounds like snapping has came off inching spool in valve body if it grinds gears when shifting range.       MACK
housemover View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:11pm
  Thanks for the input guys.    This reply hasn't  been timely coming back because I've been out of town on business most of a week.   Sounds like from your responses  that I was combining  to things into one incorrectly?    So thanks Dr. Allis for putting my mind to rest on the brake mode noise,   but what's this "snapping"  refered to in the inching spool valve body & where is the valve body located on the trany.    The grinding is slight,  but don't want to mess up gears!  Can I live with it if I take time to make the range shift, etc. don't want to jeprodize Allis's bill of health (If you know what I mean).  Thanks,    Housemover
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 5:37am
If you are able to shift range gears without grinding (by being patient) I would leave things as-is.
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 7:30am
snapping was meant to read snap ring
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
housemover View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 11:11pm
Thanks Doc   I'm the only one who drives it & being patient with it is no problem.
Kevin in WA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin in WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 5:43am
Shifting the powershift into reverse while holding the clutch pedal down into brake mode will stop the range transmission from grinding.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic