This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Class winner at Frederick, Md. 10-15-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Class winner at Frederick, Md. 10-15-23
    Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 1:39pm
Yesterday the local Deere dealer sponsored their Fall pull. I took my 1650 Oliver. I've been doing a bit of tweaking and was able to put down a solid run winning the 5500 open class with a pull of 399' at a speed of nearly 19 MPH and I'm still not making much smoke or getting high EGTs. What stopped me was the mud where I ran into the grass after the end of the track. The 2nd place tractor was a very strong Fordson Super Major that had a pull of 324'  just over 16 MPH. Generally when the Fordson shows up, he can out pull me. I'm sure that soon I'll have a link to a video of the pull.

If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 7:51pm
Here's a link to Bill Grime's video from Sunday.  My run in the 5500 class is at 3:32.  Bill said he was kneeling down shooting the video and I went by him so fast he nearly fell over trying to keep me in the viewfinder.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 9:15pm
what engine is in the fordson
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 6:30pm
I'm not sure what the Fordson has for an engine. However I'd guess it's the 465 Genesis engine converted to spark ignition. I do know it has a crank triggered ignition system and he has some issues with it leaning out under power. I keep listening and at some point I'll learn more about the details. Someday he may even pull the side panels off for me to have a look. 
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 11:01pm
i never tought of somthing like that my first guess would have been a 300 ford six , i do like those olivers they are a nice tractor in their day a freind of mine has everything oliver
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2023 at 1:14pm
As good as the Ford 300 six is, it would not hold a candle to most of what is running in the class. There's a couple Molines and a Case that are most likely 1,000=/- CID. Some of the 460/560 are probably nearing 600CID. It's amazing what some poor farmers will spend for a plastic trophy. For my Oliver, I took a junked tractor with a blown engine and just replaced it with an engine from my rusted out Pick-up.  I doubt that I've come even close to spending on my tractor and tractor trailer hauling rig, to what many in my class have just spent on engine work. But we're all having fun😀
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic