This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Class on “Why won't my tractor run?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Class on “Why won't my tractor run?
    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 5:33pm

I’m thinking about teaching classes that cover repairs on older AC tractors.

I see the same questions asked over and over again and I think by teaching these classes it will help especially the first time tractor owners how to repair their own tractors.

Remember “Knowledge is power “!     I see the older guys with the knowledge on the old tractors passing on all the time and with them go’s the knowledge to repair them.

This first class will go over the fundamentals of component Diagnostic and repair. The class will be held at my shop on a Saturday and will be an all-day class with lunch provided. I will go over the common problems that stop tractors from starting or running right. Some of them will be easy fixes and some of them a little more difficult, but I will teach what to do when it won't start I will go over wiring, generators, starters, voltage-regulators, distributors, Magneto's and fuel systems, carburetors fuel lines, fuel tanks. This will take the biggest part of an 8 hour day for you to learn the simple step-by-step procedures that I do when a non-running tractor comes into my shop. The classes will be based on the old dealership service schools on these old tractors.

If the first one works out then I will be teaching other classes like brakes, clutches, engine fundamentals and repairs, there will be a revolving cycle of the different classes and will be taking information and suggestions as we go.  I'm not making videos of these classes for the internet. The classes will not be free. I will have teaching AIDS built from carburetors, distributors Magneto's, generators, starters so I can teach from the real units like you'll be working on at home. I will supply handouts and the Manual's on Magneto's and distributors that you can't find in most service manuals. Please share any input you might have on this. I will talk about the test tools that I use where to get them the class sizes will be 5 to a maximum of 10. The cost and dates for the classes will be posted at a later date.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks, Don

3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Sponsored Links

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:25pm
I think it's a great idea Don.👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:31pm
Don;    Great idea,  I suggest you throw in plenty of safety tips along the way.  Mark
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 6:56pm
BLESS YOU
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 7:16pm
Fantastic idea!  Might help to point out things to look for and perform basic maintenance.  Remind people that a lot of items can be rebuilt rather than buying a whole new part from the auto parts store.

It would be very entertaining!
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 9:36pm
What about people of interest that live to far to attend. a correspondent class?
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 9:45pm
Sign me up
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 10:19pm
It's a great idea, Don. Count me in.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 11:19pm
This sounds fantastic. Would save first time tractor owners a lot of heartburn and headache.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 6:10am
Don sounds like a GREAT idea. Could you video it and charge for the video? Not the same as being there I know. I would really be interested.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 6:31am
I say it’s a great idea!
But in the event not everyone is able to attend, I think having a video and copies of said manuals for sale would be a good idea, especially if someone wants to go back and review long after the class is over. Some of us forget a little every now and then, don’t we?
Fog1950 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fog1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 6:37am
Awesome idea!!!! Too often I hear the same questions you mention. Some are from people who should be familiar with how to troubleshoot the problems (like my tractor club buddies). As I often tell people, "My tractors may not be pretty but they work like they're supposed to." I have a 1952 WD. A safety class on hydraulics and associated high pressures is a good add on as well.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 7:38am
Don,
I believe this project will help many folks with their tractor basics! I wish you the best in this endeavor. Nothing like hands on learning in the class room with a good teacher! Have fun at this too!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 7:40am
That is a great idea! A couple weeks ago I was just thinking that I wish there were still some tractor dealership service classes available now days! And what do I read about this morning? I will be watching to see when the first class is so I can attend.
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 7:40am
     Super idea. Only wish I was closer to you. You are certainly special to go to the effort to organize and share your knowledge of all the workings of the older equipment.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 9:08am
Will it be a traveling seminar? When are the Indiana dates LOL. It might be worth a trip down to MO
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

I think it's a great idea Don.👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Ditto!
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 10:26am
I think it would be a looong a$$ haul from NJ to MO, but the idea is a great one! Go for it Don!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 2:51pm
I'll tell you what I think. I think I need this class real bad! Bad enough I would consider taking a day or two off and traveling to Missouri to attend. That's probably not realistic though. Nothing like hands on training. I know people try to help and explain things on here, but it's harder. It's a lot easier to understand if someone actually shows you. It is for me anyway, of coarse, I'm a little slow.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:38pm
The first class will be held on April 27th.

Edited by Don(MO) - 02 Apr 2019 at 12:38pm
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 6:24pm
How do we find out the cost or sign up?
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 9:45pm

My E-mail address is donstractorrepair673@gmail.com . Using my email address is the best way to communicate or my phone number 816-914-0643. With small class sizes the cost will be higher unfortunately so the cost per student will be $250. per class. I have checked into motels in the area and can get info. for you if you so desire. There are three motels within 15 miles of my shop. Emails will be best but you can call me for more information. The tuition cost of $250. will supply you with a packet with service manual information like I talked about before and phone tech help if something comes up that you don't remember from the class.

Edited by Don(MO) - 03 May 2019 at 11:42am

Walter(MO) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walter(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:12pm
Don is your shop in Bates City or in the country?  I see Bates City is real close to I-70.  Are you south or north of I-70?  Also how far are you from Warrensburg?  Will you teach the same class again for those who cannot make the April 27 work in their schedule?  Thanks
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:42pm
Also cannot attend April 27. Hope the first edition goes really well and that you decide to run it again another time.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 6:47am
I think $200 is a steal, especially when you consider the training materials, and you'll offer support afterwards. In the manufacturing world, training like this would be $1000 per day.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 9:39pm
Good news it looks like this was a good idea having service schools. Thanks for all the feed-back, I didn't know if this off the wall idea was going to work. FYI the class is filling up so if you are thinking about getting in on the first class please sign up asap. If this class proves to help as much as I'm thinking it will then I will hold them as long as you what them. Thanks again Don

Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:27am
If you get a bunch of morons like me in there, this may be your one and only class lol. Hopefully, it will go well for all of you. If you start having them regular, I'm going to try to work out a way to go to a future class.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:44pm
you are right knowlage is power but skil and equipment is nessasary when is the one schedualed near me 
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:52pm
probley have to start right with the four stroke theary our shop has to do that with all our small engine brands that we are  dealers for so they understand basic things first i dont think most poeple understand that before they get to a faulty componat
Bradleytrench View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradleytrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 10:11pm
I know dad has been busy getting teaching aids done. From Dad and i's discussions, he is starting basic and building from that. Dad and I have discussed a unique way to teach electrical in way that people will understand. Im excited to get to help dad with this class with a little knowledge that I have with tractors. Bobby Mo
1 WD45D, 1 A2 GLEANER, Wd w 33mounted corn picker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic