This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chickamauga battlefield

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chickamauga battlefield
    Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 6:16pm
Neighbor and toured Lookout Mountain and Chickamauga battlefield.
Looks like 3 7040 Allis Chalmers caretakers the battlefield.
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 7:00pm
Pretty awesome place isn't it. Did you go up in the lookout tower? I used to love it. We went a couple of years ago and went up in the tower and I couldn't hardly step to the edge.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 7:07pm
We didn’t. Also the overlook structure at lookout mountain was closed but we still got plenty of good views and pics.
Can you imagine climbing up that in a wool uniform with about 40 lbs of gear in a nice hot July afternoon?
Has been an awesome day.
We’ve arrived at Kennesaw this afternoon.
The countryside reminds me of home.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 7:16pm
Years ago, was working with a Customer down that way. Discovered we both liked Civil War history and he took me to Kennesaw. Later discovered that both our great grandfathers were there but on opposing sides!
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Scott B Scott B wrote:

Years ago, was working with a Customer down that way. Discovered we both liked Civil War history and he took me to Kennesaw. Later discovered that both our great grandfathers were there but on opposing sides!

Very interesting. Glad to know we have more shared interests.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 8:16pm
Lots of bloody battles thru here. I pray it doesn't come to this again. I know the outcome will be totally different! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 4:58am
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

Lots of bloody battles thru here. I pray it doesn't come to this again. I know the outcome will be totally different! Tracy

I agree wholeheartedly.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 7:36am

Well, Thad,,I'm hoping you guys are having a great time visiting all those historic places,,,Clap That would just make me mad all over again, especially since the current goings on appear to have been planned AND headed that way again by the A. H. that BRAGGED he was going to systematicly Change America. GRrrrrr!!  Better stop here before I get really mad,,,,Wink  Hope ya'll have a great time visiting,,,,,
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:07am
Have become a Civil war buff the last few years.  Early July spent a few days walking/driving some battlefields in Virginia-- Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, Wilderness, east Petersburg- especially the Crater.  Had a bunch of ancestors in the Pennsylvania 48th, that dug the mine that led to the mismanaged Battle of the Crater.
Couple of things annoyed me:
1. I spent a day at Wilderness and Spotsylvania.  I had the place to myself. Virtually no one else was there.  People are forgetting or not learning history.  Hard to believe there was no one there.
2.  The civil war soldier endured a lot- heavy wool uniforms, carried everything he had on his back, along with a 9 lb rifle in his arms, poor food, long marches, digging trenches and defensive positions, frequently suffering from dysentery, diarrhea.  And oh by the way, got shot at quite a bit.  So, when I got to the NPS visitor center at East Petersburg and set one foot in the door, a prissy park ranger screamed at me that I couldn't come in here without a mask.......!!! Really????  What would the veterans say?  My how far we've fallen in 160 years!!   
  BTW-- I left the center immediately.  Its not 2020 anymore
If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:07am
Have family history on BOTH sides of the Blue/Gray line.  NONE were Slave Holders, most were 'Tenant Farmers' which in layman's terms is Enslaved WHITE People, on BOTH sides of that line.  TN, IA, Carolinas', IL and MO.
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:11am
Also, the Maryland GOTO in September coincides with the 160th anniversary of the Battle of Antietam,  September 17, 1862.  The bloodiest day in American history.  I plan on visiting the GOTO on Friday and spending Saturday the 17th on the battlefield.  The PA 48th and some other Schuylkill county regiments were heavily involved that day at the Burnside bridge.
If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 9:58am
Have done Gettysburg twice and, after one of those visits, went on over to Antietam.  Walked the field of "Picketts Charge" at Gettysburg.....swear you can still feel that battle going on.
Also went and visited Normandy.  That was incredible.  All day in a Van with a tour group.   Picked me up at the train station at 7 am and told us "Go to the bathroom, get a water and some snacks, we'll have you back for the 7 pm train back to Paris".  Ended the tour at the American Cemetary (opening scene of Saving Private Ryan was done here).  Every American should stand in that cemetary and listen to Taps being played as they lower the flag at end of day.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 11:03am
Done Normandy in 1974, as well saw Dachau, both set HARD memories.  Several CW Era battle lines in MO too, around Springfield and around the Ozark lands.  Cemetery on BILs Place has a button or small stuff show up above ground on occasion not much and NOT telling Universities where at as would cease ALL activities on the farm due to that.

Both Sides in that burial site best we can tell.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic