This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chevy Truck Radio Not Working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chevy Truck Radio Not Working
    Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:45pm
I have a 2000 Chevy HD3500 truck that i use to haul my toys around. It has a standard AM/FM radio (no CD or cassette). It will not play any FM stations. None on my preset or any on the dial. The AM side works fine. If i turn the volume way up i can barely hear it. There are a set of speakers in the lower doors. Not sure if there are any under the dash. Has anyone had this issue and what can i look into that might solve this problem before i take it to the shop?? Thanks.
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 4:10pm
NOT a speaker or amplifier or antenna problem.
The connection between the 'FM tuner' section and the 'amplifier' section appears bad. If you can get different FM stations it's not the tuner section. Could be the AM/FM  pushbutton as the culprit. A spray of 'tuner clener' or brake cleaner' and several Am-FM-Am-FM pushes may clear it up. You'll have to open it up so if you can take pictures of where the screws were, put loose screws in a bowl !
hopefully you'll get it 'up and running' without a $$$ trip to a reapir place.
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 5:45pm
best bet is a new aftermarket radio that fits the hole.. Jay is right, the FM side of the radio is toast...slight chance spray repairs will be successful.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 6:38pm
I've had excess grease 'move' on my mirror switch assy, had to buy a new one cause up and left didn't work. Once I figured out HOW to open the switch a SIMPLE cleaning of the  excess grease OFF teh switch contacts and it was working 100%. It could be that simple..grease to lube the switch has migrated to the 'audio' portion and won't allow most of the signal from the workin gFM tuner to the working amplifier.
Better to try a $2 test than spen $300 on a new radio ( and the PAIN to install...)
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:34pm
I GOOGLED the 2000 CHevy radio and one guy was talking about a bad antenna connection... AM still worked........ Might be worth a try to check antenna connection / clean / no corrosion, etc. ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:22pm
them factory radios is prolly the weakest part of any GM vehicle. altho I don't listen to my radios very much, once and awhile I try to listen for a weather broadcast or update. try what all have posted above, when mine quit, I don't worry about them!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:23pm
oh....and AM plays the same songs as FM
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:05am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

them factory radios is prolly the weakest part of any GM vehicle. altho I don't listen to my radios very much, once and awhile I try to listen for a weather broadcast or update. try what all have posted above, when mine quit, I don't worry about them!

Now, now.  My factory radio and cassette player in my 94 is still kicking out Disco Inferno all day long. LOL
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic