This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Char-Lynn power steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snorten7020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Char-Lynn power steering
    Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 11:55am
Power steering on wd. Steering wheel violently rotates back and forth. Changed O ring seal on steering wheel side of power steering. Full of red oil. Pump appears to be ok. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 12:31pm
It was OK fine until you changed the Oring ???
snorten7020 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snorten7020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 12:47pm
It was doing it before O ring change.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 3:07pm
Can't say I've ever had one of those do that. I guess I'd be thinking the centering leaf springs may be broken. Can you stop it from doing this by holding the steering wheel in the center of the back and forth ??
snorten7020 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snorten7020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 7:16pm
No. I can't hold it. The front wheels will turn all the way to the left.
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2024 at 10:15pm
This is a tractor that you have been using for years and it just started this randomly ?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 7:53am
Like I said, never seen one do that. It has to be internal on the top half (input) of the assembly. Maybe a broken leaf (centering) spring ?? Not going to fix itself. Care must be given to reassemble EXACTLY as it was before or the steering wheel will spin like an airplane propeller when you start the engine.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 8:25am
Never worked on one in a farm tractor but rebuilt many in construction equipment. Orbital steering  valve is what it is called and support is good for them. They are easy to rebuild on a bench but do install new thrust bearings and washers using only a Char-Lyn rebuild kit.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
jdeere562 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeere562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 1:40pm
Sounds like something was mis-clocked during assembly. 

jdeere562 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeere562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 1:42pm
Sounds like something was misclocked during assembly.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2024 at 2:35pm
I just replaced the O ring on mine and it's not just an off the shelf O ring. It's a square O ring. I used a factory kit. Spendy for a kit but it works. Won't solve your problem though I don't believe.

Edited by mdm1 - 07 Aug 2024 at 2:35pm
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic