This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing brake on a D-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing brake on a D-17
    Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 6:21pm
https://youtu.be/-cJjCuiNIag did this on a 170 and 185. Good video.

Edited by klinemar - 20 Jan 2022 at 6:49pm
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 10:06am
Kinda a neat video. I have replaced brakes in several, watched to see what they did.
 Main thing that he addressed was the brake facing, and replaced the outside surface, but I did not see him replace the inside one despite it looked grooved and rough.  Neighbor's tractor had the inside grooved and I had the bearing carrier and the outer brake surface resurfced and put new seals into into the bearing carrier and resealed that. I measured the new brake assembly and measured the distance between the resurfced ares and had a thick shim made and put that in behind the outter surface brake area. The band assembly was washed down with brake kleen and put back in.  20 years later the tractor was sold and the brakes were still good in it.
   I made a go/no go gauge to put in for the distance between the brake surface when reassembling and putting in spacers.
 Got a 170 with a broken brake rod that will have to come apart this spring, can't get the broken piece out of the lever inside.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 3:07pm
JC, I had the broken brake rod on a 170. Luckily I was able to attach a welding rod with the welder and back the bolt out with vise grips as the bolt was not froze in the brake actuator . I was lucky and I know it! Probably couldn't do that again in 100 years! I have helped on a D 17 brake job where the rod was broken and had to take it apart. Needed new pads anyways. Gleaner Combines and New Idea Uni Harvesters used the same style brakes only with Hydraulic actuator.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:07pm
Mark, I think the PO screwed the rod in all the way, the other end of the rod was welded... So I don't know what they tried doing, but they must have stepped on the brakes awful hard to break the rod twice.  The right brake works good.
  I have been soaking the stub for awhile now and hope that it can be removed if I can just get it started out of the threads so I don't weld it in there... something about not to accurate when the glasses don't fit for the distance...

Hope I can get it without taking apart... maybe turn the end of the rod forward and double nut it and see if I can screw the rod out some and then take the nuts off and turn it out... Someday have to look at that.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:55pm
Hope you get the rod out without much trouble JC! Sometimes this older equipment can be nasty. I currently have the range shifter out of my 7060 and it needs new shifting cables. I will wait for warmer weather to finish as I have too much stuff in the barn to move to get the tractor in. And it's cold out and I'm not as good in the cold as I used to be!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic