This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changes to my D17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes to my D17
    Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 7:35am
We had our first Test pull yesterday and I was real happy with how my D17 performed with the changes I made over the winter.
Electronic ignition
WC flat top pistons and sleeves (I have 210-220 cylinder PSI now) 
170 venturi
Concrete spun rear tires for sharpness

Seat of the pants: The exhaust note has changed for sure, much more crack to it. Definitely has more oomph to it, wish I could find a dyno locally to check it. Tires did bite better but I want to go to 38's in the future  

Edited by Charlie175 - 12 Apr 2015 at 7:35am
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 8:10pm
I think you mean a "175" carb venturi, not a 170.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 6:32am
you maybe correct, it's bigger than the 17.....

Thank you.
Charlie

mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 1:29pm
I remember a fellow that use to post a lot on here saying the all is 226 liked more carburation and you would know it by the exhaust note the it was a step in the right direction
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 1:45pm
I guess I could borrow a D19 carb and see if it would work...I think the linkage is backwards....
Or some other brand. I think a Ford 901 used a bigger carb that would work??

But I need to keep it stockish....since it is not strictly a pulling tractor
Charlie

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

I remember a fellow that use to post a lot on here saying the all is 226 liked more carburation and you would know it by the exhaust note the it was a step in the right direction

That same guy also posted:
 that he ran alcohol for fuel- I'd like to know where
 that he owned and operated a Gleason automatic crank welder- which is a lie
 that an off-set bushing gives same degrees no matter how far from center-line- Which   defies math, geometry and logic
And that he employed half the county in his machine shop which is also a lie

Why would anyone trust his word about a carburetor?Thumbs Down

Just asking

Edited by Butch(OH) - 14 Apr 2015 at 3:42pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 7:18pm
Once again Butch's jealousy of Pankey has reared its ugly head.Butch I've seen Pankey bolt can gear on take to drill press drill and drill it then open up the bolts holes so that bushing will advance or retard camshaft install it in 226 engine and it degree exactly what the bushing is . I guess he is just that good.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 8:39pm
For me one of the most fun things in life is to call out the wannabes, farses, and pure liars

and have them prove my point all by their lonesome, 

Thanks Pank Wink
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 6:20am
Butch just because its above your capabilities doesn't mean its above panks .He has done what he says he has some of us have seen it with our on eyes.Pankey your the man .
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 7:03am
If the girfriends are done with their catfight! Charlie: Now that you have made a lot of improvement, how about coming to the pull at Frederick May 3rd?
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 10:48am
Butch if you have noticed these post get hijacked by the likes of you LET IT GO most have lost all respect for panky mg is steady losing respect for standingup for him and your going down fast for just playing the game     as paul said charlie dont stop we want to here what you've done
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 11:13am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

If the girfriends are done with their catfight! Charlie: Now that you have made a lot of improvement, how about coming to the pull at Frederick May 3rd?

Our local club pull is the 3rd. Plus I think your CA will out pull my 17! Tongue

I was thinking about getting another set of governor weights and removing some of the mass to get some more spin (Or does someone sell them this way?).  The power curve should go up, but yes I understand I would still have the same power at my current RPM (1950). If I spin up to 2200, I can theoretically gain how much HP? Does anyone have a chart? 
One guy says his revs to 3000 but I am afraid to go that far!

As you can tell I take small steps....
Charlie

blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 1:13pm

not to stir the pot, but how do you remember?, these conversations were before your time and have since been deleted since a certain member was banned from this site.
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by bradley6874 bradley6874 wrote:

Butch if you have noticed these post get hijacked by the likes of you LET IT GO most have lost all respect for panky mg is steady losing respect for standingup for him and your going down fast for just playing the game     as paul said charlie dont stop we want to here what you've done

Ya  know, you are right on the first count. I dang near erased those posts and probably should have. I can take due criticism.
As for status?
 I am not here to impress anyone or collect brownie points. The site has the privilege of throwing me off anytime it feels the need for the improvement.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 5:50pm

Once again Butch's jealousy of Pankey has reared its ugly head.Butch I've seen Pankey bolt can gear on take to drill press drill and drill it then open up the bolts holes so that bushing will advance or retard camshaft install it in 226 engine and it degree exactly what the bushing is . I guess he is just that good.

Geometry boys and girls, geometry.  Numbers don't lie but liars make numbers.  The Chverolet based offset bushings are made to work on a certain distance from center, or on a certain radius.  It's probably about .700" roughly going from memory is the distance from center of camshaft or the axis, to the center of the bushing. 

You can't install the bushing on the Allis this close, the cam is hollow and there is a plug......

Anyways you could make a 4 degree bushing move the cam say 2 degrees by positioning it double the distance from center.

Now if I dumb it down for pankey, if you look at a clock that is 8" in diameter the minute marks are closer than a clock that is 24" in diameter......

If you machine an offset key for some applications you have to take the shaft diameter into account in the formula, same goes for a cam bushing.

I know I'm wasteing my time dealing with someone who will simply lie, or simply lacks the capacity to understand basic geometry much less something slightly more advanced.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 8:15am
im running a marvel carb off a 230 gas motor on my 241 and it still lugs pretty good you have to swap throttle shaft around. I think a 19 carb would be a little too big.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 8:48am
D-19 carb works just fine.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 8:55am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

D-19 carb works just fine.

Cool, I shall look for one.
Charlie

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 9:25am
Charlie

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 9:34am
When I redid our D-19 Gas a couple years ago I bought a complete rebuilt M/S carburetor for less than $200 shipped, no core.  Probably a bit higher now.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 10:05am
You'll have to remanufacture the throttle shaft lever and turn it around to the other side of the carb, but it's worth the extra effort. Make sure your new lever is exactly the same length as the old lever (c to c on the holes) and positioned/clocked correctly. Then, be sure to synch the governor arm to the carb when done.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

That same guy also posted:
 that he ran alcohol for fuel- I'd like to know where
 that he owned and operated a Gleason automatic crank welder- which is a lie
 that an off-set bushing gives same degrees no matter how far from center-line- Which   defies math, geometry and logic
And that he employed half the county in his machine shop which is also a lie

Why would anyone trust his word about a carburetor?Thumbs Down

Just asking

I would think for Butch to say he knows what Pankey owns and doesn't own when Pankey says he has never met Butch pretty well tells you Butch lies an can't be trusted as reliable information don't you think .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 11:16am
Butch the way Pankey explains it is that he isn't machining a offset key in a shaft . He is drilling a hole into the cam gear and can for a pin and a degree bishing . the timing gear and bolts are already index so when you drill for the pin the pin is indexed as well. Then you slot the gear bolt holes and use the degree bushing . Pankey has a Facebook page all is WC& WD pulling engines if you need to discuss with him
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic