This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Centering a Wheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Centering a Wheel
    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 6:11am
I got the humpty-humps on my 190. The right side I can't get centered, at road speed I get the osculations going on.
What's the correct way to get the wheel centered?

Standard 34" spinouts

Edited by Charlie175 - 14 Sep 2020 at 6:12am
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 6:39am
Could be tires from setting.            bMACK
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 6:49am
Try what I do on my old Mack truck. Jack up so you can spin wheel. set a block next to tire so it isn't quite touching the tire and turn the wheel. Where ever the tire is either touching or pulling away from the block you either tighten or loosen the wheel lock. I've never tried it on spin out wheels so I'm not sure it will work. Works good on the old Mack with wedge wheel clamps.

There is a torque spec too, that supposedly if you slowly torque each lock a small step at a time, going by the pattern in the operator's manual, it should turn out pretty straight.

Or you have flats spots on the tire as MACK suggested.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 1:11pm
Lonn is on right trac. With the tapered clamps you have to pay attention to what's moving and how much. I can do it but I can't explain it.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 2:09pm
Very simple, make a wire loop that slides over axle easily. Pull it towards wheel. Make a witness mark, spin it around to other parts and it will show you the variance. Go from there. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 7:56am
My wife's car tends to develop problems, particularly with the right side tires Ermm

I CHECK mine same way as any road vehicle... I jack it up about an inch, place a concrete block with a steel plate on it, and snap a mag-base dial indicator on, and rotate the wheel slowly with DI against the rim.  A brick holding a piece of wire would be sufficient too.

Reason to do it this way, is that it will find runout of the wheel OR axle.

If no runout is found at the wheel, the problem is with a tire.

If you see neither, jack it up just a little bit higher, slip a 2x4 underneath and pry the wheel up a little bit, the DI will indicate deflection in the axle and radial bearing slop.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 6:35am
I don't see the wheel stops on the rail with holes in it. Are all 4 on there.  
   Tim

1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Tim NH Tim NH wrote:

I don't see the wheel stops on the rail with holes in it. Are all 4 on there.  
   Tim

I have 2 per side on the Forward side
Reverse direction I do not
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 11:13am
They take 4 on each side, 2 directly across from each other on each wheel.... cept of course if you run them all the way to one end. That alone would make a big difference.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 1:17pm
I can't make out if you have the wheel stops against the rim clamps for forward direction of travel. Usually there is a gap between rim clamp and wheel stop for backing up. Seems that's how there made. So you not having any isn't a big thing right now. So are both stops resting against the clamps.
  Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 6:20pm
When tight these type of clamps won't slip very easy but I think with that size wheel there should be a stop at least in the forward hole, and two rails with holes so you can have stops directly across from each other so the wheel would be reasonably straight when up against each stop. I don't see two rails with holes. I only see one. Been a whie since I adjusted spin outs on a D19 or 190. I know the 7050 has two rails with holes on each wheel.

Edited by Lonn - 16 Sep 2020 at 6:21pm
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic