This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carp - fish that is

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carp - fish that is
    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 10:55am
I am a fan of smoked carp.  Even did Asian carp once.

So I am looking for headed and gutted carp and live by Springfield IL.  I can run to the Illinois river if necessary.

Have given up on google.  Anyone in the area know of a fish market that markets carp?
Sponsored Links

dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 11:48am
Time to dig out that 'ol fishing pole....
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:00pm
https://youtu.be/rPeg1tbBt0A

Edited by nella(Pa) - 08 Sep 2021 at 12:16pm
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:16pm
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:41pm
Dave have you tried Carter fish market on South Grand in Springfield? I would think they would have a source. Robert's fish on Jefferson may also have a source
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 1:16pm
try these guys.... 45 minutes west of Springfield...Deals with commercial fishermen.

Have also heard good things about CARTER in Springfield.... have not been there.

Edited by steve(ill) - 08 Sep 2021 at 1:19pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 6:47pm
Grandfather would skin then score Carp across the bones, then bake or fry them for dinner and as such the small hair bones would roll directly out of the meat.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 7:20pm
Pat, I am gonna have to walk in and pallaber at Roberts and Carters.  On the phone Roberts says they never get Carp.

Thanks Steve, I will check that source out.

Gotta head to Chicago tomorrow, so will post back next week.  Thanks, Dave
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 8:51pm
I grew up on the other side of the state and most of the "old timers" pressure cooked them into fish cakes, if I remember right? My neighbor told me he would go shoot them with a .22 rifle and take them into some people in town who did that with them.

I caught one once along with a channel cat and Dad and I fried it up just to try it. It was very good, just didn't know how to get the bones out so there was a lot of picking them out of your teeth.

Now I'll have to try smoked. I can see how that would be good.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 11:12pm
around here they score it with the way the bones go then deep fry it. just slide the meat off the bones with a fork and eat. 
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 5:20am
Carp shooting with bows has become a big thing around here. Don't know what they do with the carp. Check with a archery shop or sporting goods store. They may be able to hook you up with somebody. Offer to share some of the fish.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:15am
Used to bow fish carp out of a canoe with a buddy of mine. His FIL would take em and smoked them for us. Sadly he passed before I learned how he did it. Anyone have a recipe for smoked carp?
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

around here they score it with the way the bones go then deep fry it. just slide the meat off the bones with a fork and eat. 

I started bow fishing carp with my dad when I was about 10. Did it for years.
Fixed them the same way shameless mentioned or fried in a skillet.
Probably ate several times my body weight over the years.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:12pm
carp is a big item here in resturants and fish houses that serve meals. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:12pm
plus...they are fun to catch, they fight good.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 7:04am
I used to chum the water with a can of cheap corn.
You better have your pole tied down or your going to lose it.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 7:06am
We used to make a dough with strawberry pop and corn flakes. Hard to keep on a hook but the carp loved it. Oh and only carp bit on it.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 6:39am
Thought I should do a follow up.  Wandered into Robert's.  They said they never handle carp but get the Buffalo in that are already steaked and scored.  They agreed to check with their supplier since Buffalo are a close enough cousin to carp.  Told them to see if they can get whole, gutted and headed Buff.  Lo and behold I got a phone call back and it was a go and I ordered 15-20 lbs.  They came in fresh, on ice and to the tune of 22 lbs total.  Whoah, the price was $2.99 a lb - couldn't believe that.  All is well and they are final processed and in my freezer awaiting for me to fire up the smoker.  Thanks for the encouragement Pat.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 6:51am

When I was growin up we used to live close to a Black family that would go fishin 3-4 times a week and strictly for Carp. The Mother would debone the carp and grind up the rest with crackers, then make Fish Patties and deep fry em bout 3" dia and bout 1/2" thick. One of their Sons loved tortillas, so he would sneak some fish patties and trade me for some tortillas two for one,,,,you know,, since them tortillas is much bugger than the fish patties,!! So, I've ate lots of Carp and they do have a great flavor,,I like em better than Black Bass,,but get out the way if there is some Crappie or Walleye on the table,,,,
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 5:41pm
We farm some ground in the river bottom and everytime it floods there's usually a bunch of them left in the slews. You can have all you want as long as you can beat the birds and coons to them! Lol
59 D17 gas nf, 66 XT 190, 69 220.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic