This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling the friendly Plumbers,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling the friendly Plumbers,,,,
    Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 11:56am

Hey Friends,,,I have a REAL need for a 3/4" "Plumber's Plug" to repair water line to the house,,,,!!!  The friggin valve at the water meter is not holding and leaking just enough that I don't think the glue will set up without leaking again. I opened all the yard faucets and no water is  coming out of them but since this valve is lowest point, is where water is migrating to.   I looked in the Surplus book and dont find any thar small
 Reckon Home Depot or Lowes got a Plumber's Plug that small..??  I tried to call em but being Sunday,,,NO Hope,,,
 HELP,,,!!!!
Sponsored Links

KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 12:27pm
Rubber expanding engine freeze plug works for small sizes.

Trim rubber/fender washers to size.

Better idea - row boat drain plug.

Edited by KMAG - 21 Aug 2022 at 3:49pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 12:41pm
Remember a plunber I worked with saying he used BREAD in a copper water line to be able to stop water dripping into joint as he sweat soldered fittings . 
 Seems when he was done and turned water back on the bread would break up and dislodge from pipe and be a substance he could remove easily .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 1:00pm
I’ve used the bread trick twice doing copper. Worked ok.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 1:05pm
'glue to set up' ???
the line is white PVC ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Trawler II View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trawler II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 1:14pm
Use white bread, don't ask how I know whole wheat is not recommended. Should work fine, there are products specifically made for this. White bread should do the trick.
"Most people find it easier to believe a simple lie, than the complex truth"
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 2:17pm
You can get cleaner and glue(cement) for pvc that is designed for wet conditions.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 21 Aug 2022 at 2:18pm
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I’ve used the bread trick twice doing copper. Worked ok.

Well,,Guys,,"Necessity breeds inventors",,,,,, I had no idea,,,Bread??  Now I know for next time.. Since this was on main line,,I HAD to do something quick or go without any water til tamarrow,,,S,,I fashioned my own "Plumbers Plug" put of a surgical glove and rolled it up a tad bigger than the ID of the 3/4" PVC line and tied it together with some Flexible SS wire, leaving about 8" of wire on end. Got all my chit together,,and Yes, Lars, Used the new primer and glue for "wet" conditions, dipped out standing water in the dug out hole and Eased the plug into the PVC and it stopped the leakage,,,!! I slopped the primer on and then used a "Generous" amt of the glue and pushed the 3/4" pvc female X 3/4" male NPT adapter  down onto the pipe and held it there for bout 5 minutes. The plug was still holding!!  I had to use some needle nose to pull the plug out of adapter and threaded the new valve onto the adaprter. Turned water into line and NO LEAKS!!  I'll finish up tamorrow,,I am tired,,,,,,
 Many thanks for all ya'lls suggestions  I AM going to order me a 1/2" and a 3/4" plumber's Plug from My McMaster catalog tamorrow,,!! No More of this CHIT,,,!!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 6:33am
In the 'what was he thinking' category.....

Saw a plumber DRILL A HOLE about a foot  'upstream' on a copper pipe. Put bucket underneath..drip....drip...drip... then proceeded to clean and solder in the new fitting/repair. Once that was done,he wrapped 'magic black seals all tape' around the pipe where hole was, added a small gear clamp 'just in case'.
Always wanted to go back to that house, see if it's still there....

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 6:45am
 Well,,I fount these in the Grainger catalog and sure wishin I had these but,,,,but,,,I got one of each 1/2", 3/4", and 1" coming on a fast pony express and susspossed to be In My Hands by Sat,,,, we'll see. 

Well CHIT,,!!  the dang pic didn't post,,,,,

Edited by desertjoe - 24 Aug 2022 at 6:46am
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 7:51am
Sorry I missed the post Joe , was spooking elk the last 2 weeks in Utah . Is the meter in a pit out by the street? I usually loosen a union on the meter and let it drip in the pit . Water department doesn't approve but I do.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 7:54am
DJ, now yer going to have to type 1,000 words to 'show' us the 'graninger goodies' !!WinkCryLOL

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 11:26am
 Hey Pat,,well,,, tell us a story bout the big Elk hunt,,did you bag a big bull? I drew a Cow permit this year ,,,they better eating than them tuff old bulls,,,,,WinkWink

Hey Jay,,,Say What???? I gots to write a report ????LOLLOL

Actually them dang 3/4" plumbers plugs did not make the trip and I needed to flush the john, So,,,me being a "thrifty" sort of guy,,I made my own plug from a rolled up rubber glove like them cute nurses use,,,,, rolled it up tight and used a thin flexible SS wire to tie it in a bunch and slipped it into the 3/4" line and,,,,and,,,it stopped the water dripping and lathered it up good and slipped the Adapter onto the line and held it there for bout a minute,,,!!  Gently pulled the plug out of line and  assembled the above ground part with galvanized fittings and a new valve,, closed the valve and turned the water on and,,,,and,,,NO LEAKS!!!!!  I done another "Thrifty" move and drilled some holes in a piece of 1" X 1" angle bout 36" long and U-Bolted the galvanized pipe to the angle iron,,,then drove a 3/8" rebar on each end of the angle iron into ground bout 18" deep,,,!!!  You might be able to tear it up with a small tractor but if I catch ole Shameless messing with it again,,,,I'ma ,,,,I'ma gonna  well CHIT never mind,,,,,LOLLOL
 Many Thanks for all ya'lls help,,,,ClapClap
VictorsiuDowd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorsiuDowd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 4:09am
For me, it sounds like you're dealing with a frustrating situation. Home Depot or Lowes might have the plumber's plug you need, but it's tough to say if they'll have one in that specific size. It's worth a shot checking with them once they're open. In the meantime, you might want to consider contacting a local plumbing supply store on Monday—they might have what you need in stock. Also, if you're worried about potential water damage from the leak, I recently found Water Damage Restoration NY. They could offer advice or assistance tailored to your situation.

Edited by VictorsiuDowd - 18 Mar 2024 at 8:37am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic