This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling all painters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling all painters
    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 9:09pm
My son has a house that the previous owners painted the interior, a deep tan/gold color, semi gloss. With the exception of the kitchen cabinets, everything in this house is this color. Baseboards, windows and frames, doors and frames, trim, outlet covers, switches.
We have decided to start, one room at a time repainting.
What is the best way to cover an intense base like gold? Most rooms will be a lot lighter, the hallway will be white.
TIA
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 9:21pm
KILZ makes several kinds of priimer / sealers... get the right one...

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 9:31pm
We use Porter Paints here. If you have a dealer close, take  a good pic of paint and show them. They will be able to hook you up. Good paint ain't cheap, or the labor to do it twice. I have always been pleased with them. Our store has a sign, They won't mix colors without a note from wife! LOL  HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 9:52pm
I was thinking Kilz, but dang, it expensive. I have been pleased with Sherwin-Williams, altho I prefer Gliddens for ceiling paint. I know it will take 2 costs.
Years ago my parents owned a rental property, the PO had one room that was blue, dad went over it with a silver colored paint, then white. Dad let the silver on for a week or so, then hit it with white.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 4:55am
X2 on the Kilz.  Its not too hateful, price-wise, when you buy it in the 5 gallon pails...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 6:12am
BEFORE you put ANY paint on, wash the walls,trim, etc. down with TSP, especially if there was a smoker in the house. Doesn't matter how much you pay for paint, NONE will stick to nicotine and sigsmoke.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 10:37am
There is another primer sealer made by Zinsser Bullseye 123. The Kilz unless you use the oil base really doesn't seal that well. Bulleye is water based, not as bad of an odor and works well. Really the cheapest part of a paint job is the paint.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 9:49pm
Good luck with your painting. Look around for ceiling paint and a ceiling roller. It cuts down on ceilings drips.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 11:52pm
any of them rooms gonna be pashonate pink?
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 6:26am
No, Shameless, I doubt that, lol.
Altho it is his decision on color.
Unless he picks ‘antique white’, I can’t stand that color on walls.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 2:52am
How about wall paper?  or  Paneling?  Any cheaper?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic