This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Wide Front Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Wide Front Question
    Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 7:11am
Haven't yet seen a wide front that the pivot wasn't wore plum out. I'm planning a fix at the machine shop. What do you all do to bring it back to a tighter fit? I'm thinking weld on a new pivot point a bush the bracket.
Sponsored Links

GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 9:48am
I haave done what you are thinking of doing. Works out well.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 11:15am
On my D-10 I bored out the axel and made a bushing that fit very tight on the pin. then added a grease zerk to the axel, you have to know it's there.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 11:42am
They sell carbon rods in different sizes that you place in the hole and weld around.  Its easier that trying to build up the hole and then drilling it back out(hole is unround and the bit will catch and try to break your wrist).  After you weld it up, push the rod out(it won't stick) and grind the face flat.  This is a very good way to repair drawbar pin holes as well.
Boomer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 12:48pm
From my experience, the CA wide front is not built very strong, or maybe it is simply worn out. I rebuilt my spindles with a hefty $500.00 price tag, local machine shop cut several hundred off the bill. I replaced with modern bronze bushings, that can be replaced for a few dollars. I could not afford the hardened bushings, and was a mute point because the tubes were to worn. Could somebody post a picture of there repair work. My axle pivot is worn and needs rebuilt, but ran out of money!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 1:34pm
I just used a wire feed and built it up to look round. then ground it down with a 4 inch grinder to eye ball round. flipped the plate over and greased it has held for 10 years without wearing back out.  It worked for 50 years from the factory so I'm sure it'll last as long as I own it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic