This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA no oil pressure!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 8:26am
look at the intake valve... when it closes, you are coming up on compression... about 90 degrees you will be at TDC.. ( center) .. you will also hear the SNAP !! .... Adjust the valves on that cylinder that just came to TDC ............Should be about .015 inch clearance between the valve top and the adjust screw above it.

Rotate the motor 180 degrees and look for the NEXT cylinder to come to TDC... should be in 1-2-4-3 order ..... you can start at any cylinder ,, ( ex 4-3-1-2 )
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

84 prospector View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 8:35am
This is done while it is cold right?
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 1:06pm
Rule of thumb is .002 more cold than hot (book). More likely to have even adjustment cold. Hot begins cooling the moment you start and unless you are proficient and experienced it may well get away from you.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 4:02pm
Steve is right... .002 MORE if your setting cold.... Book actually says .010 HOT for B and C.. ........ but .012 HOT for CA ??????   YOUR CHOICE !  Wink

TOO tight is bad... A couple thousands loose is not a deal breaker.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 6:37pm
I should be good at .015 right?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 6:38pm
Or will it make that big of a difference to go .014
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 7:12pm
No.... your fine... 1 - 2  thousandths LOOSE does not hurt.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 7:20pm
Kinda a dumb question but where can I spin the engine by hand? The crank pulley is too hard to grip by hand and spin

Edited by 84 prospector - 06 Sep 2022 at 7:23pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 7:52pm
there is a round hole in the radiator wrap around a couple inches below the grill... That looks at the crank shaft pulley front end.... There is a "hand crank" that goes into that hole.. Basically a 5/8 inch rod with  a TEE on the end to engage the tangs on the pulley... 

you might also be able to engage the PTO shaft and turn it with a pipe wrench and roll over the motor... It is about 3 to 1 ratio ... put the transmission in neutral.... IGNITION OFF...... or plugs removed.

---------------------------------
basically the hand crank has something like a 1/4 inch roll pin about 1-1/2 inch long ( im guessing) that grabs the inside of the pulley..

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Sep 2022 at 8:01pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 8:27pm
Ok thanks, just to be sure I’m doing this right, when I’m adjusting the #1 cylinder i rotate until either the exhaust or intake valve is completely closed (spring all the way up) and adjust that valve that is completely up to .015, then rotate the engine until the other valve is completely closed/ up and adjust that one to .015
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 8:34pm
when #1 is at top dead center (CENTER)... both valves will be closed and BOTH can be adjusted.. Rotate 180 degrees and #2 will be ready... Rotate 180 degrees and #4... Rotate 180 degrees and #3 will be ready...... you adjust BOTH  INTAKE and EXH when that cylinder is at TDC.... you can hear the SNAP telling you that you are at CENTER. 

Intake - Compression -Power - Exhaust are the 4 strokes ....... when you see the INTAKE valve CLOSE, rotate about 180 degrees until you hear the SNAP for each cylinder.

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Sep 2022 at 8:37pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 9:03pm
I am not hearing any snap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 9:38pm
doesnt the MAG snap at  TDC ?

OOPS Im on the wrong post.. Yours is a CA with a DISTRIBUTOR.. NO SNAP... You will have to remove the spark plug and stick a wire inside the hole and feel for the piston at the top... Or after the INTAKE close, just turn  more than 90 degrees and you should be close.

OR... there is a 1 inch round hole in the side of the bell housing that is used to time the motor.. After the intake valve closes, have someone look in the hole as you ROTATE the motor and stop at the CENTER or TDC mark.

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Sep 2022 at 9:45pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 9:52pm
Ok so whenever a cylinder is at tdc the two valves for that cylinder will be closed?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 10:07pm
I set them all at .015 and it is running a little better but is still backfiring out the exhaust. When I put a load on the engine going up a hill it smooths out completely.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 10:40pm
carburetor could be off a little..... tractor has been setting a long time... maybe just run a while and see if it BREAKS IN ??

backfire at low idle or high idle or both ?? ( when NOT under load)

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Sep 2022 at 10:42pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 10:42pm
I’m gonna go back through and double check all the valves are adjusted correctly tomorrow, and see how it runs again.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 10:43pm
It backfires at both, not so bad at idle more of a miss or small backfire
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 10:45pm
sometimes a backfire is a sticky valve stem due to setting for years... Running a while can fix that... But you should also note that under load, i would think.

also remember the motor is 70 years old... Could be  spark plugs , wires , coil slightly low on power , distributor cap crack or carbon tracked, carburetor not quite right, etc, etc...

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Sep 2022 at 10:48pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 10:48pm
I sprayed the valves down with wd 40 and watched to see if it looked like any were sticking and there weren’t any that I could see, I just put a brand new coil on it when I got the tractor, it was a standard ignition one I think. I haven’t replaced the plugs yet or the wires. It does run a little better with the choke on

Edited by 84 prospector - 06 Sep 2022 at 10:51pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 10:51pm
YEP....... a general tune up should be on the list in the future..

choke on is restricting the air inlet... That means your running out of fuel... Could be partly pluggage in the carb, restricted fuel filter .

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Sep 2022 at 10:53pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 4:42am
Choke on runs better could also be air leak at choke shaft.  Spray some solvent at the choke shaft(outside carb) if it sounds better briefly, there's your leak...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 11:28pm
Could it be backfiring because there isn’t enough back pressure? it is running basically open manifold right now. The previous owner set a pipe on top of the manifold and tied it down with bailing wire then slid a 90 degree angle pipe over that. It is not sealed to the manifold outlet, just set on top/ around it

Edited by 84 prospector - 09 Sep 2022 at 12:37am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 11:31pm
Can I keep running it how the previous owner rigged it up? The tractor isn’t very loud so If I do need to fix that would I be safe to run a 3 foot straight stack on it?
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 6:31am
Originally posted by 84 prospector 84 prospector wrote:

Can I keep running it how the previous owner rigged it up? The tractor isn’t very loud so If I do need to fix that would I be safe to run a 3 foot straight stack on it?

Yes and yes.

The notion of needing 'backpressure' is utter nonsense.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 7:02am
I use Seafoam in the crankcase if an engine has been sitting for a long period of time or if it smokes. Amazing product which cleans the entire engine internally including the valves and valve stems. Ive had engines that smoked bad, used Seafoam, and they not only stopped smoking but ran much better. Cleans the rings of carbon which make the rings seal as they should. Be prepared to perform 2 oil changes as the oil will be very black from all the crud.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 7:45am
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

I use Seafoam in the crankcase if an engine has been sitting for a long period of time or if it smokes. Amazing product which cleans the entire engine internally including the valves and valve stems. Ive had engines that smoked bad, used Seafoam, and they not only stopped smoking but ran much better. Cleans the rings of carbon which make the rings seal as they should. Be prepared to perform 2 oil changes as the oil will be very black from all the crud.

I'm not much for "snake oil", but Seafoam is amazing stuff. I always have a couple cans on the shelf.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 8:36pm
Ok I will just run it how it is. I just took the plug out of the transmission fill port and noticed it is not full, I can’t see any in the tube so what type of oil do I put in it? Just normal 80w90 gear oil?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 9:18pm
I saw somewhere 20w can be used In it and that there is supposed to be a hydraulic pump on it, I don’t see any hydraulic pump anywhere. I have a bunch of 5w30 can I put that in there? It kind of smells like gear oil on the inside of the plug, so could gear oil also be used?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 9:34pm
I stuck a peice of trimmer line down the hole and there is oil in it, just not full enough to see any. The oil that came up on the trimmer line has a orange yellow tint to it and the underside of the plug has a orange yellow tint.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic