This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA no oil pressure!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 10:14pm
The tee that the gauge is connected to and the line coming from the filter on it is in a port on the side of the block. Where does the oil actually come out of the block from? The small tee with the small line that is connected to the filter? Or from the bigger tee on the side with the gauge and the bigger line?
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 10:23pm
Look at my picture... the oil comes from the bell housing TEE into the bottom of the filter... about 15% of the oil is DUMPED TO SUMP thru that 1/2 inch hole in the side of the block.... You are dumping WAY TOO MUCH Oil back to the sump with that wrong filter..

Plug the  BIG STEEL PIPE out of the filter  and  put the gauge there... Eliminate the line INTO THE BLOCK... 

Or just put the gauge on the curved steel tube going INTO the filter, and eliminate the filter / STEEL PIPE drain and all.

Edited by steve(ill) - 31 Aug 2022 at 10:28pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 10:27pm
So just to be clear I can’t use the filter setup that is on it? Is the system now going to be starving it of oil? 

Yes, that filter is 100% of your problem.
84 prospector View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 10:31pm
Ok now that makes sense, it’s just pushing All the oil straight through that filter because it’s not a bypass and back into the block. It will be safe to run it for a few days with the small oil line going to the filter blocked off with the gauge?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 10:41pm
Does that hole in the side of the block that the oil is returning through just go straight to the pan?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 10:44pm
Yes... you can basically run FOREVER without the filter... There are a lot of smaller gasoline engines that never had oil filters..  Would be a good idea to put NEW OIL in it, ( in the near future).. that is CLEAN and does not need a filter.

The hole in the block just drains into the pan..( there is a little puddle / dam inside that forms overflow into the pan).... There should be a tapped hole on each side of it.. Just bolt a small sheet metal plate over the hole.... Even a piece of duct tape might be OK for a test.

Edited by steve(ill) - 31 Aug 2022 at 10:50pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 11:06pm
Ok I will try that tomorrow. Do they make filters that can screw on it that would have enough restriction?

Edited by 84 prospector - 31 Aug 2022 at 11:56pm
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 6:37am
You can use this filter setup if you put in a restriction ahead of the filter.

I would suggest an orifice no bigger than 1/16" to start with.

Edited by Les Kerf - 01 Sep 2022 at 6:39am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 6:41am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

There is no need to use a screw driver unless you bought an old tractor / truck and the original owner put it in  with a breaker bar !!....  Filters that i have put on, i can take off with an 8 inch long filter wrench..

The tractor only puts out about 15 psi max.. You might only have 10 psi on an old motor.. You dont have a lot of flow either... If your careful taking the filter off, you can check the tube and crank to check flow, then reinstall the OLD FILTER.. It really dont do much anyway since it is a BYPASS... you can install NEW at a later date when you do the oil.
But there sometimes is a need.  I don't know what the heck happened to my buddy's car back in the day.....it wasn't an old car, and wasn't like the oil had never been changed, and once the dang filter finally came off, the new one went on so it was not cross threadedQuestion  But that sucker fought tooth and nail!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 7:05am
as Les said, you need to restrict the oil flow thru the filter so that only 15% of the total goes that way.. The ORIGINAL filter does that internally with its cotton construction..An  auto filter has NO RESTRICTION so it wall pass MAX FLOW... An aftermarket filter could work if you had an orifice... If your restricting 10%- 15%- 20%... its not that important.. The idea is to maintain PRESSURE on the gauge and still have EXTRA oil that you can run thru the filter... You could use a needle valve and only crack it a turn open, then lock in place.... But if you want a clean, more original look ... go with the factory filter.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 7:13am
Truthfully $90 for the oil filter base, gauge, filter, oil line and all the fittings is not far off from what it should be. I regularly get $50 just for a good base with the filter tube in it. I have plenty of them available. New FRAM 159 filters are going for close to $20 anywhere. The oil line is unique to the Allis Chalmers BE/CE and not available anywhere except for used or maybe NOS. A new aftermarket gauge will cost more than $30 and good used OEM one will fetch $25 easily.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 4:03pm
Let me look around. I would bet my price would be quite a bit lower than you will find anywhere else..  You would need to buy a new filter if you decide to try my deals.

Edited by Dick L - 01 Sep 2022 at 4:06pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 4:14pm
needs a little cleanup and a new filter...

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 4:20pm
For now could I pack cotton swabs or something in the middle of the filter to restrict the flow?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 4:25pm
No... you would have no idea what amount to use... if you insist on using the auto type filter, plug up a fitting and drill a 1/16 - 1/8 inch hole in it........ Or use a valve like the fuel pet cock and restrict the flow ...........

Personally i would SCRAP the auto filter and use NOTHING if i was not going to install the original.

Did you cap the drain line and rerun the pressure test ???

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Sep 2022 at 4:25pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 4:28pm
No I haven’t been home yet, few hours I’ll try that.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

No... you would have no idea what amount to use... if you insist on using the auto type filter, plug up a fitting and drill a 1/16 - 1/8 inch hole in it........ Or use a valve like the fuel pet cock and restrict the flow ...........

Personally i would SCRAP the auto filter and use NOTHING if i was not going to install the original.

Did you cap the drain line and rerun the pressure test ???

Start with the 1/16. You can make a 1/16 hole 1/8, but not the other way. 1/8 will flow basically 4x the flow as 1/16, which in your case you’re trying to restrict that flow.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 7:39pm
I bypassed the filter and have good pressure.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 7:41pm
Should I be ok to run it like this for a few weeks until I can get a correct housing or do something about this filter system that is on it?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 8:23pm
Change the oil out first chance you get and you would be good for YEARS... The filter system is nice to have, but not a necessity..... Normally the pressure is around the O or R with good  viscosity oil and cool temps.. As it warms up it might drop a little..

Right now you are in GREAT  SHAPE !!!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 9:03pm
I changed the oil and it still has good pressure. It smokes very bad but it’s clearing up more as it runs. I filled the radiator and there’s a bunch of gummy oily stuff in it so I’m going to have to flush it out, not a big deal. I tested the voltage and it is not charging it’s staying around 6.3/6.2 volts. a terminal on the voltage regular is not hooked up but I’m not sure what each terminal does
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 9:10pm
voltage regulators look something like this... Clean the terminals and maybe you can see a letter on each.   Probably in this order anyway.

while running, if you GROUND the "F" terminal , you should see higher voltage at the "A" or "GEN" terminal .........if the regulator is working, you will see the charge at the "Bat" terminal also.

the system can be NEGATIVE or POSITIVE GROUND... From the Factory it was 6 v POSITIVE GROUND.

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Sep 2022 at 9:11pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 9:14pm
generators fall in the same catagory as filters (for NECESSITY.)... Many old tractors with bad generators just charge the battery with a shop charger once a week... Generator is used to adjust fan belt only. ............ thats a possibility for now.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 10:16pm
Smoke is almost gone now, every once and a while it will miss and smoke. Drives pretty well, more oily gummy stuff in the radiator started coming flowing to the top so the radiator is going to need a very good flush. Is there anything else I should flush it with besides water to help clean it?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 10:28pm
a few ounces of laundry soap in the water will loosen any "oily stuff"... run for 20 minutes, drain and flush, then add your water and antifreeze.

piston rings "STICK" when setting for several years... Might take a couple hours to loosen up and reseal... That could be your SMOKE.

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Sep 2022 at 10:29pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 10:57pm
Will dish soap work just as well?

Edited by 84 prospector - 01 Sep 2022 at 10:59pm
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 6:06am
Originally posted by 84 prospector 84 prospector wrote:

Will dish soap work just as well?

Dish soap will make suds. You want a non-sudsing soap. You need to find where the oil in the coolant is coming from!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 7:04am
if dish soap is all you got, that would work. Just dont add too much 3-4 spoon fulls are enough..... Seen them little oily duckies on the TV and DAWN seems to work good on them ! Wink
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84 prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 7:27pm
Radiator is cleaning up well, I looked at the letters on the voltage regulator and the middle one says batt, the right one with the red wire says F, and the one disconnected says L. Is it possible that this was converted to negative ground because the ammeter is reading “charge” while there is a load being put on the battery and it won’t go above 6.2. There is a sticker on the generator that has a local power supply shop name on it.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 7:42pm
"L" normally means LOAD and is hot like the BAT terminal when the tractor is running... On that type of regulator, the "G" or missing terminal might be on the BACK side ???

Look at your battery.. ONE terminal runs to the starter... the other is GROUNDED to the frame.. That will tell you if it is POS or NEG ground....

You need to test the generator without the regulator to see if it works.. Like i said, ground the "F" terminal ........ run a jumper wire from the  "A" terminal to the battery ( or starter) HOT lug... When the tractor is running,  measure the voltage between the  "A and F" terminals..   If the generator works, it should read around 7 volts... If you pull the wire off the A terminal and measure the generator output, it might go to 13-14 volts NON REGULATED... since it cant see the battery.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic