This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Crankshaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KChallener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Crankshaft
    Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 1:04pm
My newly acquired CA has a bent crankshaft. I have searched all the websites I can find to no avail. Anyone have a suggestion or know where I might find one?

Thanks,
Ken
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 3:06pm
I have plenty of them, although I'm in Maryland very near Gettysburg, Pa.  I'm sure if you call Branda at Sandy Lake Implement, they'll have something for you. 724-376-2489
Sandy Lake Implement is right in you area.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 5:13pm
I sent you a private message 
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 7:25pm
How does a crankshaft typically get bent??  They're pretty beefy.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 7:37pm
The torsional "twist" imparted through them with clutch engagement having a heavy load to pull. When you set the shaft up on blocks and rotate it using an indicator on a round bearing surface this minor twist results in the shaft "heaving" which is interpreted as bending. They don't bend as such like folding apiece of metal over in a bench vise.  

Edited by Codger - 06 Dec 2023 at 7:38pm
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
jdeere562 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeere562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2023 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by dfwallis dfwallis wrote:

How does a crankshaft typically get bent??  They're pretty beefy.
I bent one once in a WC pulling tractor. But had beefed up the engine some. Put in a WD45 crank and rods for more stroke. Had some 4020 JD sleeves machined for the block and 454 big block Chevy pistons as I recall.

Also reworked and ported the cylinder head, intake and exhaust. Ran a D19 carb, had to drill jets to get it running properly. Always wanted to hide a nitrous bottle somewhere...LOL!

It would normally spit out the PTO gearbox on the dyno, before you could get a HP reading. Been a lot of years ago.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 4:58am
I have several, but a little ways away.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 5:23am
I'm still trying to figure out how a "CA" engine would ever have enough BANG in the combustion chamber to bent a crankshaft ??  Must be a bearing burn out related failure ????
KChallener View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KChallener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 4:55am
Thanks for all the comments. I will call SLE (Sandy Lake). It looks like the A, C, and CA cranks were all the same? Pull the crank, mains, etc. Rod bearings were burn and scored. My guess is that there was a main failure at sometime, probably number one. Someone's been in there before, lots of Permatex. Before dissassebly I was getting about 45 psi compression on all 4 - any thoughts on that?

Ken
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 5:55am
B, C and CA are all the same. A is an entirely different, and significantly bigger engine.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 6:07am
45 psi cranking with an electric starter spinning the engine ?? Pretty poor. Double that would be much better.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by KChallener KChallener wrote:

... I was getting about 45 psi compression on all 4 - any thoughts on that?
Ken

Better check cam timing, that's mighty even for being simply worn.

Edited by Les Kerf - 08 Dec 2023 at 7:29pm
KChallener View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KChallener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 6:23am
THanks. Will check pressures again after new pistons, sleeves, rings, crank and bearings.

Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic