This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA charging device

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA charging device
    Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 10:16am
We have a unit in the shop needing a rewire - with a bad 6v gen... because of space we can't add a 12v that will assist in cranking that we can find as there is not room for it or a regular delco alternator.
The carb limits  length - the steering arm limits width...
I bet some of you have a solution...
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Sponsored Links

sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 10:21am
I rewire mine with a 12 volt mini alternator. Same reason is the tight space to clear the drag link.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 10:33am
any one wire mini  brand  or part no we could search ?
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 11:05am
Originally posted by tbran tbran wrote:

any one wire mini  brand  or part no we could search ?
Check in with Steve at B&BCustomCircuits.com...he has the smaller Alternator that will work.  Also has wiring harnesses, etc.  He does great work and his advice even greater.
I also did one where I had the old Generator re-wired to a 12V so it went into same space/ length/ etc.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:00pm
Yes: there is room for the large car version of a GM alternator behind the steering arm on a CA and use the stock belt. I've done plenty of them.  I may even still have a few brackets bent up that just need welding together.  This picture is a close up of the CA puller that I sold with the 160 engine in it that used the narrow belt. It really works better with the wide belt and the adjustable waterpump pulley.

Edited by PaulB - 17 Dec 2018 at 2:03pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:27pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KGIDF9Y/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If it shows up, this is what I put on my CA and WD.
Leon B Mo
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:35pm
I'll try posting from the computer when I get time.
Leon B
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:44pm
It shows up if you tell the intermediate page to proceed to Amazon.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Leon B MO Leon B MO wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KGIDF9Y/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If it shows up, this is what I put on my CA and WD.
Leon B Mo
Hey Leon,
Curious if you had to switch out the pulley using this or if the one that came with it worked.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 3:28pm
I'll look to be certain but I'm sure I used the pulley that came on it. I'll post a pic or two when I can.
Leon B
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 8:17pm
Sorry I don't have part numbers, but yes it can be done. Here is my CA with a 12V alternator. My friend that converted it said it is a GM alternator but I don't know what model it is.
I can try and see if there is a number on it tomorrow.
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 8:18pm
I still can't figure out how to post multiple pics in one reply? LOL
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 8:19pm
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 8:20pm
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 8:21pm
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 5:30pm
I did get some pics of the alternator on the CA, I used the pulley that came with it and made my own brackets. This is my mowing tractor and it's been on there 2 seasons with no trouble, it will self energize at less than half throttle.
Leon B MO

DB Electrical AND0525 Alternator (Fits Chevrolet Gm Mini Street Rod Race One-Wire High Per Formance Alternator 35 Amp)

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 3:09pm
As Scott mentioned, I carry the Denso mini alt in stock. I also offer a complete 12V conversion system which includes the Denso mini alt just specifically for the C & CA model Tractors for clearance on the steering drag link.  This particular kit also comes with our CNC machined 5/8" pulley already installed so the pulley matches the other OEM pulleys on the engine. There's an optional Alternator mounting bracket kit that we offer if you don't want to be bothered with fabbin' yer' own....   HTH  Thanks Scott for the mention!

If you want to keep the OEM look but still flip to 12V's I completely gut and convert the OEM 6V Gennie over to 12V's set up for a VR, this way you use the same mounting hardware. You can go with the Voltage Regulator piggy backed on the Gennie, or go with my Voltage Regulator kit that mounts the VR in the toolbox. Some of our customer's go that way, and I build the wiring system for that setup. The VR is hidden in the box, and is out of Mother Natures grasp. If you move to getting the Gennie switched over, you also have the option of using a 60/60 sweep Ammeter or switch to a Voltmeter. I can build the system either way. Your choice. Any Alternator system I build comes with a Voltmeter. Visit our website and check out all the cool stuff we have for our AC customers.

Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 3:23pm
Your way sounds good Steve. If mine wasn't already done this way before I got it, I would have been calling you too.Thumbs Up
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 9:15pm
Have the generator repaired.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 8:50am
Using the pulley that comes on the mini Denso is not a good thing to do. When the engine starts to work hard, belt slippage starts and before you know it, the belt is going away and so is the pulley. That's why I had our machinest widdle us a new 5/8" pulley for the small shaft Denso. Its a nice heavy pulley like the 5/8" pulley we had widdled for the "SI" and "CS" series GM Alternators. I can make the belt slip very easily on the 881 test machine. THe belt sits to high in the groove of the pulley....  HTH
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
cpg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 10:38am
I have used a Hitachi 14231 alternator on several of my tractors. They energize easy and they are a 3 wire alternator but easy to wire in. I put one on my wife's Farmall H as they are tucked under the hood so the same issue with space and liked it so much that is what I now have on my WD since it was converted to 12V for winter starts and having lights while blowing snow. They are 38 amp so plenty to charge up and run a good set of lights if desired, I have even used my tractors with that conversion to jump start my truck. The other plus side is that they are cheap; bought mine online and were delivered to my door for like $45-$50 including shipping and core.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 4:46pm
I also have a 10Si alternator on my Ca with a bit of room to spare. Just takes a little finagling.

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic