This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C B radio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C B radio
    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 7:25am
Have one somewhere boxed up . It's 40+ years old . Wondering if it's worth fooling with ? Grandson wants it . Guess they're popular with teenage boys ? Now if I can only find it . Thanks
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 8:26am
It should still work. Do any of his friends have one? I have not used one in maybe 40 years so I don't know what is out there now.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 8:56am
I have one in my truck, not much activity on them except around truck stops.  Did come in handy on a trip to NC, avoided a big traffic backup but mostly now, you're already in the backup before you hear anything.  I thought back years ago, a lot of the guys went to a side band, don't know if they still use that or not.
Maximum use of available resources!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 8:58am
IF its the transistorized one its fine.---I still use my 40 year old one in the semi, when they send me out part time. Still have my base setup but never use it anymore----no body to talk to anymore. late 70's and into the 80's was peak time for me.
I used to "skip talk" all the time with it ---- course it had been "worked"on! lol! ---miss them old days!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 9:45am
I was wondering if truckers still use them after watching that wreck in Texas
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 9:49am
Yeah I'm thinking some of his friends have one . Also pretty sure mine has been "worked on" . Gonna see if I can find it today . Thanks
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 10:41am
Still used one when hauled grain back a spell.  Grain yards used them on a separate channel to inform of unloading station delays and such.  

May put one in the KW, may just plug the holes.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 11:11am
We still have CB radios in the tractors, combine, and most of the pickup trucks.  The local elevator has the truckers call in the owners name, farm #, etc. when delivering grain to the elevator in the fall.  They've also got an outside speaker near the weigh scales in case the driver doesn't have a CB.
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 4:44pm
Yea trucks still have CB's but when out on the road not much talking.   I have to use mine at rock quarries to communicate with loader operator .
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 7:54pm

Well,,,when all this BS started 6 years ago or so,,I bought an older Midland 40 channel that had been "worked over" for full potential,,thinking it would most likely be a good means of communicating should the feces ever  hit the fan,,,,,,? Got it workin pretty good talking to some dudes down in Texas ,,,but the antenna came to the ground during a bad wind storm,,,it still down,,,,,Wink
Billoh View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 8:10pm
I have 1 in my dump truck.When I get to the stone plant I tell the loader what kind and how much.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 9:03pm
I just put mine back in the PU a couple weeks ago. Barely any chatter. Plan to set up a base station at the farm/lake house and then one on the Pontoon so we can be in communication when the kids are out on the water.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 10:46pm
I just found my 23 channel a couple of weeks ago, hadn't seen it for years. I thought about keeping it as an antique, but I tossed it in the dumpster at my former work place. I moved here in 1986, dont remember seeing it after that.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 10:54pm
the old 23 chan radios have more power than the 40 chan units. and yes they are still used alot by truckers around here, the kids like the looks on their pickups that the whips give, and they sometimes use them when planning things out in the country. (parties) the air waves are not as crowded now as it used to be.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 1:28am

Yeah,,Shameless,,I used to really like BS'ing and shooting the breeze with them truckers back then,,and I always heard bout some people that got "saved" by others during the winter after they had fallen off the roads ,,all because of them CB radios,,
Thinkin on them CB's I think I'm gonna go ahead and get a better antenna set up on the garage just to "listen"
 My older brother, a Dr in Milwaukee still has his Ham radio in his car and tells me he talks to people all over the world. He started with a home built radio while he was in high school,,,
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 11:26am
Still have one in the semi a few people will talk to you, they were good for getting directions into a place. I think the new laws for cell phones wouldn't be favorable for talking on CBs. A lot of the company trucks don't have them anymore. Then there are the drivers that don't speak English.  When I used to drive at night, place I worked at would have a couple trucks delivering to the same location in the morning, drivers would leave at the same time. a few hours passed pretty quick if you were talking all the way and a lot easier to stay awake
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 10:36pm
Back in the mid to late 70's I drove over the road now and then.  The CB helped keep me awake at night and was entertaining all the time.  There were some interesting guys on thr road, some real comedians with all kinds of jokes, others with stories lasting several minutes, always hoping they wouldn't get out of range before the story was over...
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 4:51am

Yeah, John,,,Ya'll know how I'm a man of "few words",,,,Wink,,,and truth be,,I love to "talk",,,,,So, I used to be a pretty good ratchet jaw on that CB,,,,and,,,,and,,I ain't changed much,,,,,LOL
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 9:14am
CBs are very basic 2-way AM sets.  They're designed with only enough capability to push 4 watts of carrier power.  'worked on' modifications typically mean they've attempted to increase modulation, which does nothing appreciable to actual RF output, it just makes it 'sound' louder, which has a nasty side-effect of causing your clean signal on one channel to splatter over onto other channels, and other bands. 

There's guys who partake in all sorts of silly investment to increase power, and add sound-effects, for the sake of self-satisfaction, it has no benefit to the 27mhz band's ability to provide communication between stations... it doesn't matter how powerful the OTHER guy's signal is, if he can't hear YOU, you're not communicating.  Modifying radios to do this sort of thing, and adding amplifiers, is illegal because it violates a list of international treaties... guys get serious fines and prison time for it, which is stupid- all they really have to do, is study, take a test, and get a HAM liscense, then they can learn, experiment, and build properly, legally, and with the encouragement of others.

The CB service was intended for short-range communication...  2-4 miles or so on average, but when you're out in a large, flat area, and have some elevation, it can go substantially farther with no atmospheric enhancement.  the 27mhz band DOES experience enhancement as a result of reflection during daylight and grey-line timeframes (dusk and dawn).  The direction will be relatively unpredictable... depending on a variety of circumstances, it's very possible to be able to hear a station several 'skip lengths' (bouncing from sky, to ground, to sky, to ground) away, but be totally unable to hear a station 4 miles from you. It is also frequent that you might be able to HEAR that station, but due to their location, they may be hearing other stations or local noise an order-of-magnitude stronger than your signal, so you'll be a spectator.

CB is still used for extreme-short distance utility communications (loading yards, drop lots, quarries, etc), but most of those locations will run with the squelch very, very loose, meaning that unless you are VERY close, with a very strong signal, they won't hear you.

The proliferation of smart-phones, internet radio, and audio-books on demand have made CBs in trucks pretty much silent.  The appearance of UHF and VHF FM two-way (like FRS/GMRS and MURS) has taken the place of farm operations, particularly where a repeater atop a high spot provides group coverage with no noise, for a hundred-mile radius.

You can still use an old CB, you'll still hear some talking.  A basic vertical antenna, up high, and a 4-watt set will give you plenty of reach when the conditions are right... and it won't require any other service, costs, or license.  If you have a buddy who lives on the hilltop on the far side of the valley, pick a channel, call it your 'home'.

Edited by DaveKamp - 15 Feb 2021 at 9:15am
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 12:39pm
We aint talkin no 4 watts here!! LOL!!  we talkin the real thing!
I only had 1, 40 channel jobber one time---traded it for a Pace 113, 10 watt , 23 channel jobber ---well actually it had 27 channels ---- 4 were "business" channels. About a dozen of us had them. --- drove town people nuts when they ran up and down their 40 channels and couldnt find us! --- OH the fun days back then!! LOL!!
Ole pace ran the 351 Palomar bi.lin. great too. I only had a little Astro beam on a 32 foot tower and had no problem shootin skip when I wanted to.---course skip talkin dont always need extra power----mostly just the right conditions are a big player!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

We aint talkin no 4 watts here!! LOL!!  we talkin the real thing

What you were using, was a LISCENSED business band tranceiver that was in the 12-meter band... they couldn't FIND you, because it was in a different (non CB) frequency range.  In that point in history, there were AM business 2-way systems from 22mhz all the way up to 70mhz in many places all over the world, the US and Canada included.  Radio sets that 'looked' like the GE and Johnson CBs had factory built, tuned, and sealed amplifiers specific for those business bands.  Those manufacturers 'cb' sets looked like biz-band radios, because they were built in the same chassis, with many of the same components... but that's where much of the similarity stopped.  There were plenty of idiots who'd open a biz-band, remove the tubes, and swap 'em into their CB thinking it would magically 'make more power', and while the meter seemed to imply, a spectral analysis revealed that what really happened, was the tuning of the set was totally screwed up, the tubes were no longer neutralized, and it had become a high power oscillator at 81mHz, and this is why your neighbors were so angry- you were blasting uncontrolled energy into TV channel 5.

Going from four watts 16 watts is only 3db... or twice the effective power... which is to say, insignificant when you're already communicating at line-of-sight.  Putting a linear on a CB radio nets more power OUTSIDE the band, than within it, and still gains nothing, except a violation of international treaty.  Just like overfueling a diesel, it makes lots of smoke, but nothing more.  It's what fools do when they feel a need for attention.

"the real thing", doesn't exist in CB.  Step into HAM radio, when you have a choice of dozens of bands from 1.6mhz to GHZ range, with a myriad of modulation methods in popular use, and the legal option to create a modulation scheme all of your own, and the legal privelage of using up to 2500w into ANY antenna design you choose, is the "REAL" thing.

I can hold a perfectly clean, clear conversation with my pal in Australia, on a radio slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes, running on two 9-volt batteries, and a piece of wire strung between my back lot trees.  Two watts.  That's "REAL".

The greatest improvement of CB performance, is buying a unit with SSB capability, for TWO reasons:

SSB allows the power envelope to be utilized WITHOUT need for a carrier emmission (the radiated power is concentrated in audio, not wasted in carrier)

SSB capable sets include a substantially better recieve front-end... they HEAR better... Even in AM, they have better noise immunity, better rejection characteristics, and much better sensitivity.

The next improvement, is to use a properly designed antenna, with shortest length of low-loss coax, good bonding, quality soldered connectors, and good tape.  All the power in the world doesn't beat a good antenna install.

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 10:32am
NAW!----  we were still on the cb band----just way above channel 40! LOL!!!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 2:16pm
CB's authorization for all 40 channels between 26.965 MHz and 27.405 MHz.

Regardless of what you THOUGHT you were doing, it was NOT 'CB'.  There was a time where several frequencies were reserved for LISCENSED commercial service, which your transmitter and auxiliary amplifier, if installed and maintained by a liscensed radio service, would have been entirely legal.  I happen to have several of these in my collection... Johnson Messenger was one of the most prolific models, and as I noted above, they're visually very similar to business-band units in the sub-28mhz as well as 48-51mhz and 78mhz range.

If you had your radios 'modified' to be in that range, or were operating at frequencies or power levels other than those prescribed in your company's commercial liscense, you were operating illegally, and you were also operating in US military frequency space.

If it was the latter, and a unit found your operation to be problematic, they would NOT have sent the FCC to 'talk' to you, they would have radiolocated you, arrested you, and confiscated all your equipment, but not until they'd gathered up enough to do the same for all those with whom which you interacted on that frequency.

Citizen's Band is not a 'hobby' band.  It is a general purpose public-use band, prescribed in specific through 47 CFR 95.   By violating Subpart 95, you are violating an international treaty.

Experimentation belongs on the AMATEUR bands (47 CFR 97).  Since 1933,  Anyone who wished to do so, need only do a little reading (online study nowdays), take a test, fill out an application, and they're awarded a callsign which is INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED by the same treaty structure which promises every OTHER country on the planet, that we won't allow idiots to violate frequency allocations agreed-upon by the treaty.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:23pm
Didn't bother us!!! LOL!! --- and yes we talked long distance to others on the same channels and at that time fcc couldnt care less about cb! They had NO way to arrest everybody that they thought was illegal! Never heard of anybody getting arrested!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:30pm
Working Utility Industry we had Side Band VHF radios, most from 10-18 channel but not identified by frequency to the users just to the company and used by most other utilities so could talk across boundaries.

In the old trucks we had used Side Band Radios originally the 23 channel "CB" radios that were supposed to have license, 99.9% never licensed up and never were approached as to arrests or chastising by a federal agency.  40 Channels came out next where we ran those same way.  Can still hear the old guys with high watt Amps speaking Skip across cloud cover into UT from CO or WY even from ID.  Could tell they were amped up by the echo on the transmission.  Livestock Haulers(Bullracks) nearly ALL had HUGE amplifiers and would walk over any and all other conversations.

Edited by DMiller - 21 Feb 2021 at 6:33pm
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:49pm
Back in early 80's I moved to KC, an ole boy that went by K.C.D. had a BIG radio and a DEEP voice.  He directed truck drivers to their destinations all over the city.  Despite all his warnings, about one truck a week would get stuck under a railroad bridge on Independence Avenue, it still happens, bridge is 12' and has it's own Facebook page.
Maximum use of available resources!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 7:29pm
the radio in my service truck has side band cobra 40 channel , and an old high power 23 channel in the jeep
fleeter allis fan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fleeter allis fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 3:39pm
I wasn't a trucker but my friends and I all had them in our cars in the late 70s. I had a nice 1969 Plymouth Satellite at the time. I wish I still had it. For us, it started with the Kris Kristoferson 'Convoy' and later Burt Reynolds 'Smokey and the Bandit' shows. Long before cell phones and texting, it seemed like fun to chat with people and use the 10-codes that we knew at the time. I still remember my call letters. This is XM4516952, the Daredevil Duck signing off.
I'm a man...and I can change...if I have to... I guess.
'44 B, '46 WF, '49 G, 810GT, 916H, 620
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic