This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

butchering....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ford8nwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: butchering....
    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 4:03pm
Anyone doing their own butchering these days? When I lived on the farm we raised 2 pigs every year, one for us, and one for the neighbor, and we'd have a butchering party every fall. The first year the hogs grew a little larger than optimal, about 310 lbs...the best pork I ever tasted, of course I love fat and these guys filled the bill. My other neighbor had come over from Germany right after the war, WW2, and was a master butcher. His wife had a receipe for bratwurst that was the best I'd ever eaten, so we made lots of brats, as well as liver sausage. I sure do miss those times, as well as the meat.
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 4:48pm
Beef no, not any more. Wild game yes. Pork... we go to a game ranch, shoot the ones we want and the butchering is done there except the curing. We have learned to cure ham and bacon at home and love it.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 5:21pm
That was another use for the hay fork ropes in the barn , to hang a beef or pig. I remember being at the farm and they would come and kill a steer and hang it in the hay barn if it was cold enough. If not they took it to the meat locker in town and would hang it there then my dad or grandfather went and got the halves home  then my dad cut it up and my mother and grandmother wrapped it up for the freezer. Pigs they did the same just took the hams to someone to smoke although I think grandfather smoked some. 
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:11pm
Yes, still do it all. Have five children and for their Christmas present I will buy one steer and two pigs, taught them how to butcher and they get together and butcher every year. What What I mostly do anymore is tease and harass.  
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:37pm
Just talking about this today. Even the folks still on the farm dont butcher like the old days. I am glad I have the skills and have butchered beef, hogs, chickens, and wild game. Lots of folks would have a hard time. if Walmart closed. As mentioned there just is no where to go. All the small butcher shops are gone. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ron Eggen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Eggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 9:36pm
We have lots of Mennonites & Amish in our area and they have their butcher shops that also do it for the general public.  The only disadvantage is that you have to take the animal to them live, no pre-killed meat alllowed.  They do an excellent job and are usually cheaper than what the older existing shops used to charge, they even vacuum seal individual steaks if you desire.  They also make some other products like scrapple.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:33pm
I butcher every winter. My brother raises cows if I want one I have to show up for butchering. About 20 years ago we put up a butcher building at moms farm. We butcher 4 or 5 cows usually in Jan. On weekends. We show up and cut up and grind a few quarters. The cooler will hold 10 quarters age them for 2 weeks at 38 deg and cut and grind.and package. A the half cow lasts me a year.
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:52pm
The guy I work for also raises beef.  I trade labor for a quarter every year and we have a small shop do it here and they are as reasonable as anyone and she cuts and packages the way we want it Just me and my wife so my last quarter weighed 265 lbs. More than enough for the year
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 9:56pm
right now a butcher shop is making lots of $$$$, i'm sure the traveling ones are too. the fake news media now talking about farmers gonna hafta euthenize their livestock because the packing plants are shutting down. i still see a hundred or better bull racks going past my place thru the week. where are they going? local butcher shop is booked up til september at double the work. a friend is a pig grower, he's still pumping out thousands of pigs. 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 11:43pm

Winksounds like a classic example of ,,,,,,,Fake News,,don't it,,,,,,?
Dale-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 7:26am
My grandmother has 6 brothers, 5 of them made a living as butchers.  One of them still has a retail meat shop but no longer butchers, at 80 years old he still works 5 days a week along side his kids and grandkids at the shop.  His older brother at 88 is down to only working 2 days a week.   My dad said he helped as a kid but never learned the skill  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic