This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Business Hiring and can't find help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Business Hiring and can't find help
    Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 11:02am
Local Casey's has help wanted signs out......

Explain this.......I know a guy that works there.....told me yesterday they cut his hours to 3 hours a day......he's wanting to work 8....... so why are they hiring more people to work only 3 hours
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 11:17am
Part time employees don't get benefits for the most part .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 12:06pm
I agree with Pat. Every employee that doesn't get benefits is money in the businesses pocket. If things there are like here I'd go somewhere else. Everybody here is hiring
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 12:58pm
When did the math with a Accountant years ago on potentially venturing into a private contractor business and hiring employees was startling to see the amount of money Benefits cost.  On average the benefits per employee twenty five+ years ago were close to 3/4 that of base wages.  Call it 5/8 or Greater than 50% whatever, from UI to Insurance and NOT Health Insurance but business Liability coverage, extra tooling or uniforms if used, special fees for Safety Equipment depending on type work, health insurance if offered, Employer SSI Share, etc etc etc.  That booklet we went thru was EYE Popping.  So for a employee making $20/hr, figuratively they cost employer from $34-37/hour.  Drop to Part Time, 60% of those expenses dropped away.  As with UI, disappears as are no longer Full Time and thus NOT eligible so not required to deposit UI Insurance moneys.  There is NO ONE making $18/hr that are not drawing at least $24-28/hour expense to the employer.  Garage mechanics are currently drawing around $40-45/hour, employer generally HAS to make $95 to break even as also pays utilities and structure payments, thus most Garage expense is around $110-150/hour.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 1:21pm
Our McDonalds has a 'now hiring ' sign says starting $11 an hour . I'm so old I remember when $10 an hour was good money .
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 2:12pm
Yep got out of the Navy and loafed at old job in gas station for a month at $1.00 a hour and then decided I needed a job . So went to work for a company in town . $1.25 starting wage and 10 cents for night shift . Oh they paid overtime after 7.5 hours and double time after 10.5 hours, straight double time for Saturday or Sunday  . Was making $125 a week take home, and no where to spend it as was working 12 hours a day and 8 on Saturday .
 Scale was $3.25 a hour after 3 years back then .
40 years later at same company , 4 weeks vacation , sick days , pension , paid health insurance and making over $50,000 and still had time to run my own business doing excavating .
  But back then charged $40 a hour for truck and driver , Now truck goes for $95 a hour and driver gets $25 a hour minimum. 
Times change but it seems when making that $3.25 a hour it was good wages and oe could live on it and support a family as well . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 2:49pm
To the original post if they would give the people willing to work extra hours and not jack them around on their schedule all would be better off. In a case like that the guy is forced to make a decision to quit and take a different job. Then you have the other end of the spectrum where my wife works, when they get busy, they everyone has 12 hours mandatory overtime per week rather then hire extra employees.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 6:44pm
a local Wallyworld would force 'split shifts'.... 3 hrs in the morning, then 2-3 at night. gal I know said it'd COST her money to do that (car gas, school skeds...)
around here none of the 'trades' can get ANY help...NO class A mechanics, millwrights, general labourers, none.....yet we get 500,000 new souls a year coming to Canada....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 6:50pm
My original point was it makes no sense to say they can't get enough when the workers that are there are willing and they won't let them. I agree with let them work and everyone is better off......but old common sense approach does not apply any more. 3 hours doesn't pay the guy to drive in to work
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 3:31pm
Here in MN the Democrats just introduced a bill that would require anyone working in a refinery to hold a minimum of MN State Apprentice certification to be employed within the facilities . This includes any outside contractor , in state or out of state . (as most Apprentice rate are Union Jobs - it limits the workers who can be there . 
One private contractor NOW EMPLOYED there for last 15 years says he had a call out for a Certified Boiler Maker which he has 10 positions open for next Turn Around in Refinery but there is only 1 person in State now who is not working in that trade - but he would not be allowed to do National Hiring because the way the law is written .
  So it seems when one gets to jobs where more than a warm body is needed a problem arises in having SKILLS in a trade - as those individuals are working , yet the colleges are full of future CEO and Company Executives - but not one wants to get their hands dirty .  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 4:55pm
All the nonsense of Certs, card carrying, required Trades Apprenticeships, etc etc, is all well and good until there are NO Bodies entering the trades.  Our idiot Political bodies have no clue what it takes or how hard they have subjugated the youth in historic Degree Required programs that mean NOTHING.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 5:03pm
WHAT  !!  NO WORKERS ?? ....... But we will have plenty of Gender Studies, African History, and HOW TO BUILD A SAFE SPACE new workers !!  That should help ?

Can you do that from home and call in on TIC TOK ?  LOL
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 5:29pm
A local organic farm can't find a DRIVER for their delivery truck. Load,unload, boxes of meats.type work..... $40 an hour !!!
you'd think ONE of the 500,000 we just got in last year could ro that.....

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 9:13pm
its alot crap to do to have mechanics on the payroll and if they cant crank it out you are going broke dosent matter what you are charging , and you have absolutly nothing if you dont have satisfiyed customers 
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 11:21pm
New laws are in place to obtain a CDL, it now costs a LOT more money to get a licence to drive truck. My Son-in-law has been a Class A truck driver for 20+ years and is now an instructor for his employer, he had to get certified by the local college just to be licensed to teach drivers. A current Class B driver has to go through the entire process to upgrade to a Class A license.
Dorix View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 9:49am
My brother told me yesterday a tool and die maker in the Milwaukee area can get $50 hr starting. There aren't many left and businesses don't want to apprentice people.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Dorix Dorix wrote:

My brother told me yesterday a tool and die maker in the Milwaukee area can get $50 hr starting. There aren't many left and businesses don't want to apprentice people.

Wow! When I left that industry in 2016 they were paying half that for almost 20 years experience here. Big reason why I left is the newcomers were starting at $17 to $18 and couldn't stick their thumb in their ass
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 1:32pm
Mickey Ds around here advertise $15/hr to start, FEW takers, those that do start do not last.  When I was driving truck, started me at $16/hr, raise after a few months, and another at end of first year, all these people have to do is put in effort and can earn median five figure salaries, increase skills levels can move to six figures easily.  Still NO Takers.
Wispitfiremike View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wispitfiremike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 3:49pm
I think most of younger generation couldn't tell you which end of a screwdriver to use let alone anything more complex. We have to get back to showing some respect for people who work with their hands and minds, unfortunately right now if you can't fix it with a cell phone its' not going to happen. Yes I know the cell phone is just to call someone else to do it but you know what I mean. Pretty good money out there for those so inclined though. 
Dorix View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 12:00am
Wow! When I left that industry in 2016 they were paying half that for almost 20 years experience here. Big reason why I left is the newcomers were starting at $17 to $18 and couldn't stick their thumb in their ass

The company my brother works at lost their only tool and die maker because a different company pirated him away for $50. There just isn't enough of them I guess, everybody is going to college.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:54am
I wonder how many College Prof's it takes to change light bulbs, or fix door latches or to scrub student puke up?  Will soon be coming to that point of Professors wanted, extensive multifunction positions, bring your own toilet scrubber wands and mopping equipment.

Have heard of some upper echelon business/political tycoons unable to achieve housekeeper and lawn service help, requesting assistance from other state officials on from where to garner.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:55pm
Just had the Amish roof our 70ft long barn. 4 young men ages 15,17, 19,and the 22 year old was the crew Foreman. If we could get the rest of the country to work like them we could make America great again. They used power tools did a good job and had the job done in a day and a half in conditions some would have hesitated to work. They will own their own farms someday.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 4:42am
SPAM reported...
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 7:13am
I think part of the problem is the Democrats push for everyone to go to college. So a lot of kids who could go into the trades endo up going to a third rate college on loans from a big bank and end up with a worthless degree like anthropology. Kids think there is something wrong with getting dirty
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 8:38am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

A local organic farm can't find a DRIVER for their delivery truck. Load,unload, boxes of meats.type work..... $40 an hour !!!
you'd think ONE of the 500,000 we just got in last year could ro that.....

You don't want one of "them" unless you want your truck upside down on the highway.

It's a DAILY occurrence up here now.

I have sent pictures to the MTO (Canadian DOT), police, government, of transports coming into our mine with supplies.....FLATBED trailers with giant steel fabrications on them NOT EVEN TIED DOWN. Just sitting on the deck.
And they ALL turned a blind eye.

Nice to know that is what's on the highway with your families now.

What a coincidence.....as I type this wife is looking at local news and says "another transport crashed at the mile hill."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 8:39am
re: I wonder how many College Prof's it takes to change light bulbs

NONE, they'll swear since it's LED , it'll last forever...(running on 'green' energy of course ! )

1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Les Kerf Les Kerf wrote:

New laws are in place to obtain a CDL, it now costs a LOT more money to get a licence to drive truck. My Son-in-law has been a Class A truck driver for 20+ years and is now an instructor for his employer, he had to get certified by the local college just to be licensed to teach drivers. A current Class B driver has to go through the entire process to upgrade to a Class A license.

Why after 37 years of accident free trucking I quit the industry 3 years ago. See my post above.

They are making us jump through hoops to keep a license yet all these immigrants come in, can't speak or read english and can drive on their "home license" for 6 months at a time.
They can even start a business and run TAX FREE for 6 months. 

Meanwhile people that have lived, worked and paid taxes here their whole life get nothing.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 10:29am
Just renewed my Class A CDL, Dropped HAZMAT TANK and PASSENGER BUS.  Kept Multiple Trailer and Motorcycle, $76, to keep HM, is a $83 expense to FBI Background Check, Fingerprint and another $68 to take a Retest of HM Materials required every Two years.  No Longer worth it and is why many Class Drivers getting out of Fuel hauls.  Be lucky to get gas delivered in another few years.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 10:52am
Originally posted by 1955CA 1955CA wrote:

Originally posted by Les Kerf Les Kerf wrote:

Why after 37 years of accident free trucking I quit the industry 3 years ago. See my post above.

They are making us jump through hoops to keep a license yet all these immigrants come in, can't speak or read english and can drive on their "home license" for 6 months at a time.
They can even start a business and run TAX FREE for 6 months. 

Meanwhile people that have lived, worked and paid taxes here their whole life get nothing.

Don’t you guys up north have Cabinet Minister that is crying about having to have more immigration, to construct homes for the immigrants? What the he!! kind of convoluted thinking is that?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 11:02am
Remains a REQUIREMENT in DOT Licensing, to both be able to READ/WRITE and Speak English.  They seem to ignore that little tidbit.  Noted before where a Latino driver was pulled over, Cop asked him for License and got "No Comprende", showed him a License and he produced his, next step Cop looked at him and QUOTED the Reg, started cutting up the License as Invalid, IMMEDIATELY learned English.

Matters NOT what any company is paying here, NO youth are hiring in at any real numbers.  One or two to ten leaving/retiring.  No Skills, No Tools and want Journeyman Wages right off, NOT Happening, so drop to laborer positions and realize have to Physically WORK, quit shortly thereafter, NO benefits, and NO UI.

Edited by DMiller - 13 Aug 2023 at 11:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic