This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building fence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building fence
    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 12:40am
Gotta run down to moms and put in about 100' of fence tomorrow. Got things loaded up. I know it ain't much, gotta set 3 posts, build a wire gate. Dog gone I forgot to put in stick for the gate. Guess Grandson is going with meup.Will be easy cat work is done.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 7:14am
I really do enjoy fence work, end up scratched up and bug bit but still enjoy it.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 7:26am
Got a 40 for ya, and the bugs are gone now. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
ihc pickups View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihc pickups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 7:58am
I enjoy building new fence..repairing the old fence not so much.
An old fence builder once told me when you got done building new you had something.
Rebuilding old you still had old fence.
The other thing I do if needed is doze back trees nothing worse to get new fence built and a tree falls on it.
Some times hard to do depending on the terrain and where the fence is going.
Mike
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 10:39am
Ahh....building fence.......Sweltering heat and humidity, down in the lows behind the woods with no breeze, deer flies doing the Godly duty of being the most absolutely annoying thing ever created in the universe, the hours rolling by with what sometimes looks like nothing to show for it, .....yeah, it's great!

I mean, I'd rather build/ fix fence than a few other things, like anesthesia free root canals, but....enjoy?  That's a tough one.  Yes, I would rather build new than fix old, but come on guys!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 1:43pm
I like the way ole Otto is putting in posts now.  Pushing them in with excavator bucket.  Sure wisht I'd had one when I was a kid doing fences. 
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 1:46pm
I mean, I'd rather build/ fix fence than a few other things, like anesthesia free root canals, but....enjoy?  That's a tough one.  Yes, I would rather build new than fix old, but come on guys!

YEA.... fence repair is right up there with cleaning out the septic tank in my opinion.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 3:32pm
I got my belly full of building fence when I was a kid!   Cut hedge posts all winter and build fence in the summer.  Now my brothers are ripping out all the fence I had so much fun building 40 years ago.
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 5:24pm
Hope they're in good and solid and all overgrown with brush and dare I say poison ivy. Wink
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by festus51 festus51 wrote:

I got my belly full of building fence when I was a kid!   Cut hedge posts all winter and build fence in the summer.  Now my brothers are ripping out all the fence I had so much fun building 40 years ago.

“Got my belly full as a kid”, yeah, me too!!! No clue how much I did with my grandpa. 45 years later, still the one doing most of it. Some of the stuff done way back then. Though that’s all gone as of maybe 6-8 years ago. I think dad is the one who skated by! Lol
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 8:03pm
Don't remember so much the new fence building but do remember the fixing of old and rusty barbed wire fences... dad would try and splice even the stuff that would break when you bent it. But, have to admit, sometimes he would give in and get some "less rusty" wire to splice in where there was too much rust. I look back fondly on working with dad but not the rusty wire.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 8:54pm
My 18 year old grandson and hiss buddy got to learn a little fencing this summer.  I worked with them and showed them how it was done, then I just drove the tractor with the post pounder!  I had them do half mile across the south pasture.  They lined out and pounded the posts in on the first day 'til it started pouring rain.  Second day they finished the posts and then I helped them string the barb wire, then tension and staple it.  It's got a few minor deviations but looks pretty good for a couple of inexperienced kids.  Only had to pull and re-set four or five posts in the whole run.  They was pretty tired at the end of the second day!  And, none of the cows have leaked out this summer.Big smile
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 9:29pm
I do most of the fencing at the farm. I don't enjoy barb wire but fix it when it's broke. Most of the permanent barbed wire is pretty old but we done have many trees to worry about the swamp parts are the worst. Most of the fence here is electric I move the fences fairly regularly. I set the corner posts run 1 strand with the Polaris put in step in posts made of 1/2" rebar run a second strand on the way back. Me and a helper can put up 1/2 mile in a couple hours. Un fortunately we change fence crop locations twice a year. Good part is were on flat clear land when we do it. I run all the fence weekly and check it with a Polaris usually takes half a day if only minor repairs. We have six differant pastures with 20 miles between the farthest. Very soon the cattle will be brought back to winter pasture. It's mostly freestanding panels and percent fence with a temp hot wire going out in the field nearby. We put the hay feeders out in the field and move them around in spring we just harro the manure and leftover fodder into the field.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 6:53am
Never have had a post pounder. Might have helped with my overall attitude somewhat!
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 8:35am
     Years ago I bought a farm that someone previously had half-___ built about a mile or so of barbed wire fence on. Never stretched it tight. The wire had a tag on it that it was made in Brazil. Really stiff wire that wanted to spring back into a coil as you got it loose. Nasty to work with and lots of scratches. It had good galvanizing on it. There is a small coil of it on a post that I left when I tore the fence out over 45 years ago and it has very little rust on it even now. Used some if it over and wasn't so bad to work with after you got it stretched. Never have seen any like it any where else since.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 10:33am
Building new fence is not that bad until you have to go up and down a real mountain where you cannot even drive supplies close.LOL Removing old fence is more work in my opinion. Maybe if I had a wire winder on the back of a tractor.

But the older and more tired I get the more old homesteader built fences are rusting away. It is amazing how some wire is way better than others. For AC hunter that pain in the axx wire is still around,I hate working with it.

Edited by Ray54 - 31 Oct 2019 at 11:06am
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 11:01am
Not to go off topic in the least, but fences (and long trellis systems for my wine grapes) got a lot simpler (NEVER "EASY" lol!) when I learned to use "dynamic floating braces." At first I was skeptical, maybe even cynical which is probably why I made one in the first place, to disprove it to myself. Now I won't use anything else, and my corners always stay put better than with any other corner-post systems I've built over the past nevermind how many decades lol!
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 1:34pm
If possible I would like to see  "dynamic floating braces"   never heard of that before
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by festus51 festus51 wrote:

If possible I would like to see  "dynamic floating braces"   never heard of that before

Yea,,me too

Here's some of mine
[IMG]uploads/598/20

IIRC this was 5 steel, 1 wood, a lot do 4 steel/1 wood, 14 ft space on posts...
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 3:33pm
Tha Gawchoo barbwire fence is a b!!ch to work with, its like what AC Hunter decribed,, it kills me tho when quote - horse people -build their fence with barbed wire and wonder why the babies are all scratched up,, funny

Edited by DougG - 31 Oct 2019 at 3:34pm
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 5:49pm
Folks,
I remember building some fence with Dad as a young man. We stretched it with one of the WD45's.  It was a good tight 3 or 4 wire barbed wire for many years!
Dad liked to build new fence. We cut some locust trees and hand split them with wedge and sledge when I was about out of high school. They split way easier than I expected. Made good fence posts! Dad said "A locust post would last five minutes longer than a stone!" I have walked through a lot of local wood lots and found old fence posts probably 75 years old or more!

I also remember at a younger age building fence with my grandfather too. He had the 4 x 4 posts sawed out and the he sharpened them with the buzz rig. We didnt own a chain saw. Grandpa soaked the bottom of the posts about 10 at a time in a barrel with creosote the barrel. Very strong smelling! We used a 6 foot bar to work a square hole to accept the post, about 2 feet deep in the clay ground.  Slow work and the fence was woven wire to contain our herd of 30-40 sheep. That was in the mid 60's. He took his time and built a good strong tight long lasting fence. 

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 6:05am
Needed to be Black Locust, Honey Locust rots really quick as well nothing but thorns stump Up.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 10:57am
We use osage orange (hedge) around here.
ihc pickups View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihc pickups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

We use osage orange (hedge) around here.
10-4 on the hedge. Plenty of it here in Eastern KS. Only draw back is burning in the spring have to watch they do not catch fire. We have plenty of rocks that you usually dig out to plant the hedge so lay those after setting to hopefully keep the grass from growing near the post so it does not catch fire. Also when burning always have spray rigs hopefully wet the grass and keep them from burning off.
Mike
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 12:01pm
This discussion got me to thinking about the old saying "Good fences make good neighbors".  A friend of mine got tired of all the problems we have farming in "the city" and bought a place up in western Nebraska.  The place was a real eyesore and being between I80 on one side and a state highway on the other, stood out. The first year there, they spent most of their time cleaning it up and trying to get hay established for their cattle herd still here in CO.   The fence along the state highway was in bad shape and he finally gave up on trying to repair it and pulled it out.  He went to the local farm store and bought new posts and wire and they spent several days building the new fence.  He said he was amazed at how many people stopped to thank him for taking better care of the place, some even helped for a while.  His wife is now doing some remodeling on the house and almost always buys supplies at the local store, even though she could get them cheaper at Lowes or H D when she is down here.  They know her on a first name basis and might actually give her a bit of a better deal as she is in there often.  They figure the extra money they spend locally is well worth it in helping to become part of the community.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 1:20pm
When they gossip about ya, your part of the community. Wink
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 7:49pm
I remember helping Dad "repairing" a lot of fence the day after I shot the bulls gonads with a BB gun!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 10:10pm
Unfortunatly the fence never got made. I had to take mom to the hospital. Probably have to find another place for her to stay. I do enjoy making fence, especially after the dozer has been thru.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 4:06pm
SPAM...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic