This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buda 262 engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buda 262 engine
    Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 3:03pm
I have been communicating with someone on a heavy equipment forum that has a FA65 grader with a Buda 262 engine. This is a used grader that he just bought and it has needed some TLC. His latest problem was a blown head gasket. He said that the sleeves are little lower below the block than spec and wondered if a new head gasket will fix the problem. He also wondered about swapping this engine out with something else if the Buda is a problem engine. It seems as if this engine was also used in some ag equipment. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Jack of all trades, master of none
Sponsored Links

Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 9:15pm
well first, he doesnt have a Buda engine, he has an Allis Chalmers, the Buda would have been a 230, the 262 was after they aquired buda, but it is still of the Lanova style. That engine was in the D-17 Diesel, it wasnt  really a problem engine it needed some knowledge of the design to be happy with it. First it is a Lanova, which means it is not direct injection, and not being direct injection means it starts hard when cold, no exceptions. The 7.3 L Engine in the Ford pickups was the same design no glow plugs no start, so knowing that it needs to be glow pluged to start will help the owner out immensly, second let the engine cool down after working so it cools evenly. A new Head gasket will not repair the cylinder protrusion, if it is far below spec's,  he can try a new gasket be careful if it is replaced that the head is true and that the cylinder is free of all old gaskets and any oil, an old AC dealer told me that the company service rep told them to never touch the head gasket with your hands even the oil from your fingers will cause a problem, and if you can optain it find yourself some hylamar gasket sealer, its made for rolls royce engines and it helps the gasket bond ALOT, but if his protrusion is way off none of this will matter it will blow out again. The gasket is probably blown from either from the former owner not understanding that that engine needs good glow plugs to start, even in summer.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 10:01pm
The 262 does not have glow plugs. They do have a preheater in the intake manifold. The big thing about the 262 was proper treatment along with maintaining the cooling system. If the sleeves have dropped below the surface of the block, a new headgasket is unlikely to hold any length of time if at all. The 262 operator that allowed it to idle and warm up before going to work and idle again to cool down after work had much less trouble. To get the head to seal again, it's pretty much going to be a rebuild. If the block is not rusty in the counter bores where the sleeves sit, the bores can be recut and the block surfaced to restore sleeve height. If it's rusty, it's better to find another block. They are the same block gas or diesel. They were also built in 2 configurations, early with the water pump mounted on the head, and late with a block mounted pump. A later block can be used to replace an early block by making a block off plate for the pump hole. When reassembling the engine replaceing old rusty head bolts with studs and nuts is a good idea.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
rayfromTX View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayfromTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 6:15am
That's what I had found also. I had searched this and other sites. I spoke to Bill at Sandy Lake Implement. On his suggestion I used copper tubing to reinforce the water port at the point where these gaskets fail. I don't like the dissimilar metals being used and the copper will go away over time but I did it anyway. I threw out the thermostat and will not replace it. I cut the old fire rings apart and used the .010 thick rings that were produced to shim the new fire rings except on one. The ring that failed was only below the surface by .002-.005. A shim would have put it very high. If it fails in this place again, I will shim it. The others were down .006-.015.

I torqued, warmed it up and torqued again. I'm glad to have the manual. The valve lash was also way out but I got it adjusted. It purrs like a kitten and has no leaks. Right when I got ready to start it, the sun came out. Good sign on a drizzly day. There is a lot to like about this machine. It now idles at 135 degrees and operates at 160. I will warm up and cool down for 10-15 minutes on each use. I will install an alarm set at 210 degrees to alert me to danger. I will pray each time I go out. Always a good idea anyway.

Thanks for your help Don and Brian. I read all your posts on the subject prior to doing the work but money for a complete rebuild isn't there right now and we decided to chance this route before and after talking with the other members of the subdivision board. The gasket blew after the thermostat failed and allowed the engine to overheat. The engine behind me and the focus on the blade let the problem get past me until it was too late.

There will be other things come up and eventually I will tighten up the steering linkage and be forced to replace the seals in the hydraulic pump that oozes from the main seal but today, I'm gonna work on roads instead of machines. Fingers crossed.
rayfromTX View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayfromTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 6:22am
Kcgrain- I wish I had seen your comment before it went together. I tried to get it very clean but I would have used acetone to cut the oil residue if I had seen this. I got it clean and handled the gasket very little with clean hands. I would have gone a little further to be safe had I known sooner of your suggestion. I checked the forums one last time before I went out to do the rebuilld yesterday. Hoping for the best is all I can do now. I think it will be fine and I would have handled it all differently if I used the machine every day. It will see about 120 hours a year of use. A few years would put us flush with cash with greatly improved roads. Fingers crossed.
rayfromTX View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayfromTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 7:28pm
I just ran it for 5 hours. It ran from 160 at idle after it got warmed up to 180 when grading up hill and 170 when light grading on level ground or down hill. Still no leaks. Knocked out 1/2 a mile of road and ditches. This just might be ok. Scared to take a chance on a thermostat. They fail and in this case it caused a lot of heartache and I'm not sure how many blown head gaskets this engine has left in it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic