This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brush Hog Black and Blues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brush Hog Black and Blues
    Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:20pm
Hooked up the (Ford 5 ft) brush hog to the D17 Monday nite.  Knocked over some tag alders with the loader, then I was running them over with the brush hog.  Went over into the long grass a bit, felt something whack my leg, looked down and saw a rock about the size of a 1 liter pop bottle going out past my foot.  Wow did that sting!  It didn't cut me, just rubbed off a patch of skin and left a heckuva bruise.  Neighbor happened to be at the house, he heard the noise and came out with his truck to give me a ride out.  Couldn't walk too well yesterday so I stayed home from work.  Not feeling especially bright today, I still have to go get the tractor and put it in the shop.  I'm afraid to look at the brush hog, it was really shaking when I shut the tractor off.....probably broke a blade.  Krap now will have to find one somewhere.
Never thought a rock would come up that high - it hit me above the ankle 3-4".  Maybe came off the tire?
Cheers,
Creek
Sponsored Links

Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:23pm
Ouch!!!
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:30pm
That will happen before you know it happened!! Glad you didn't get hurt worse!! My dad hit wire with his once and was cut pretty bad with it whipping him. He still has the scars from it.
Osage_Orange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osage_Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 2:41pm
I broke a blade (about half the length of the blade) once on my 7 footer. It went through both sidewalls of the left tractor tire.  Sure glad I was on the tractor when it happened.  That gave me a whole new respect for brush hogs.
Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but always time to go back and fix it?
Creek Jenkins View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 2:48pm
I'm going to go out and have a look at the old girl tonite - might rain and since I built the shop two years ago I promised the Hooter it would not sit out in rain or snow again.  Hopefully it's not banged up too bad.  Still can't finger out how the helms it got up on the platform.
cheers,
Creek
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 6:37pm
I lost a hole blade on a 6ft brush hog. It went about 30 yards and stuck in a junk car I was glad it went thair 10ft away was my truck. 
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 7:26pm
I cant figger out how that happened. On a D17 your feet are pretty well protected by the footboards and the tranny. And the fender some, too. Just a good thing it didnt get you from behind. Maybe we all ought to have those short chains hanging down in front like I see sometimes. I was mowing cow pasture once with a 190XT III and a nearly brand new New Idea disc mower. I hit a small rock and one of those short, sharp blades landed on the back fender right next to where I was leaning with my right hand. Cut right thru the curtain.Gave me the cold chills for a while, thats for sure!      Guess the BIG GUY was lookin out for us all!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 8:46pm
thy getting a set of box springs wrapped up in a 7 foot bush hog....fun and games...
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 8:54pm
Try having a C with a 5' bush hog push you through a barbed wire fence when you're too young and stupid to be bush-hogging anyway. Luckily she wound to a stop before the bush-hog blades got to the barbed wire. I was standing on the brake pedals and pulling up as hard as I could on the steering wheel. My butt wasn't on the seat. Good thing, I probably would have pinched a chunk out of the upholstery!LOL!
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:27pm
Back when I was still working, I was working on a new house and A guy was bush hogging outside. He picked up a baseball size piece of cast iron and it came through the wall of the house, through the master bedroom, down the hall and then rattled around in the kitchen. I figured that one missed me by six feet. I heard it hit, but never seen what it was until I found it laying in the kitchen. You can't imagine the amount of insulation in the air when it came through.
Larry in OK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 9:32pm
As potentially dangerous as some the stuff we "play" with is,  it is a wonder there are any old farmers around at all.

Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 10:59pm
I had a rock come off my 6 footer, thru the chain guards, hit the back tire and land next to the tractor after about 15 seconds in the air....wonder how high that baby went!! I was talking to the grounds crew supervisor at the high school where we put in the school farm.  He said they were mowing it last year and took out  the windshield of a passing car with a rock....can't be too carefull!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 11:11pm
Eldon, that just reminded me. The high school that I went to had a steep bank about 50' high behind all of the vocational class shops. They were cutting the brush with side-arm mowers, and hit a brick that was thrown down there from the construction class shop. Unfortunately, Mr. Peck, the construction teacher was standing outside at that particular moment. Brick caught him square in the side of the head, and knocked him "cold as a tater". He suffered a concussion, broken jaw, several stitches, and was all different colors of black and blue for what seemed like months. Think he lost a couple of teeth too.  Wonder he survived that kind of impact. He used to do home remodels as a sideline. I worked with him some, and told him if he wasn't so dang hard-headed he probably wouldn't be here now.
TexasAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 7:20am
I was running a six footer about six months ago which threw a blade.  Looked for an hour and did not find it, figured it landed in some tall grass near where I was mowing.  About a month later I found it a good hundred yards uphill from where it broke loose.  Glad I always have the wife and kids stay in the house when I mow.

Edited by TexasAllis - 09 Apr 2010 at 7:21am
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 8:25am
After loosing a blade from a stump strike (could have been worse, could have been the tractor pto shaft) I installed a clutch on the pto shaft of my 6' brush hog and adjust it so it will slip when the blades strike a stump or rock. It will also slip some in heavy cutting; however, I just inch the tractor into the stuff when that happens. Have not lost a blade since the clutch has been installed. The clutch costs about $100 at your local farm supply house.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 8:13pm
I returned to the scene of the crime today, put the tractor back in the shed.  Took off the brush hog and had a peek underneath - blade is broke.  Looked around a bit and found the piece off aways to the side.   Here is what happened as I reconstructed it - I was going over rough ground, so I had the deck set high.  One wheel dropped down in a hole, which must have tilted the deck enough to allow the blade to strike a rock that stuck up a bit.  My brush hog does have a clutch on it - I set it loose enough so heavy grass will make it smoke, but it came with plenty extra disks, so I figured better safe than sorry.  Anyway, the blade broke right at the dogleg down, so it is a slightly bent shape.  It came out the front of the brush hog and either hit something or maybe the bent shape made it climb.  It went right under the left axle, put a groove in the side of my leg about 4" above the ankle.  Went on to strike the loader frame and bounced off to the left side.   I saw it go by, but thought it was a rock - just a flash of something about the size of a 1 liter pop bottle.
So looking at the piece I found - it has been welded and broke at the weld.  No surprise there.  I bought it at an auction a couple years ago, should have checked the blade closer - never dreamed that someone would try to weld a blade like that.

I really lucked out.  I'm black and blue from my heel halfway to my knee and have a shallow groove in my leg, but 1" to the right......

cheers,

Creek
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 8:26pm
Here is a pic of the piece of blade - you can see where the original owner must have built up the edge with a hard rod.
The other pick is the break - looks like it was cracked and he welded it or maybe broke and welded it but part of the weld never fused.

Edited by Creek Jenkins - 09 Apr 2010 at 8:27pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 6:35pm
So anybody know where I can get a set of blades for my Ford brush hog?

I looked at it again tonite - the front is open but it loooks like it did have something on the front at one time - chains? rubber?  Anyone else have a pic of one I could look at?  I would like to put something on the front before I use it again.  If it had chains they would have to be pretty short as the blade comes pretty close to the front.  It's blue, so it must be pre New Holland.
cheers,
Creek
jls View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 7:29pm
chains are usually real short, 4" or so and use 3/8" chain or better so it's heavy enough to hang down pretty well. Long sold a bunch of blue ones around here (NE Ohio). Don't know about up your way but here TSC has a bunch of different blades in stock-I take the old one in and match 'em up.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 10:01pm
Looks like the blade was just cracked, and the weld repair had no penetration to note. Judging by the rust inside the crack, it had been like that for awhile, and just needed that angled strike against something to shear it the rest of the way off. You were very lucky sir. Glad you're OK. Like JLS said, take your old one with you and go to TSC or a local ag supply. They should be able to get you a set that will work for you. I would replace the shoulder bolts that hold the blades on too, especially with that kind of damage to a blade.
StanOhio View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StanOhio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 8:16am
I got a set from Value-Built Tractor. You are lucky it didn't cut ya open. Long long ago, I remember farmer was mowing and hit something and about 15 min later he started getting dizzy. He looked down and seen blood on foot board and here his leg was cut half way to the bone. It happened so fast he didn't feel it. Drove to the house, yelled for wife and past out as soon as she wrapped it up. Don't remember if he died or not, I was only 6 or 7. I was VERY careful when I mowed grass with the push mower. (At the time, I didn't know there was any other kind of mower other than a reel mower). I couldn't figure out how it would almost cut your leg off and not know it. Ah, to be a young, dumb kid again! Oh, where's the leg pics?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 9:39am
Okay Stan - you asked for it:
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 10:14am
Glad your OK. That looks like it will sore for awhile.

I ran over a truck wheel in high grass with a bush hog.
Lifted the bush hog off the ground.
It sounded like the end of the world.
A person who lives 1/2 mile away heard it.
He though a car crashed. He came down my way to see what the noise was and couldn't believe what the bush hog did to a truck wheel.

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 12:02pm
Dang , guess I will keep my Ford flail mower or at least be sure blades are good on any brush hog mower, for the price of blades X why anyone would spend the time weldng them I have no idea . Poor and slopy weld and false economy with rotating part /accident waiting to happen / and it did .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 12:32pm
Yah I'm scratching my head too.  I bought the brush hog at an auction 2 years ago.  Haven't used it much.  The old guy that had the farm was retiring.  The outside has been repaired a few times.  He had converted it to a snap coupler hitch arrangement but all the parts to go back to 3 point were there so I converted back to 3 point as most of my other attachments are 3 point.
I kick myself for not checking the blade - if I would have seen the welds on it I would have replaced them.  I just never imagined someone would weld something like that.  My own fault - dumb.
cheers,
Creek
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic