This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bought me self a tire machine today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought me self a tire machine today
    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 7:33pm
For them dam lawn mower tires. Then, I bought the wrong size tires. I gots ta find a 1/4" plate about 14"x14" to bolt to the bottom of this thing. Then I can clamp it in the rim clamp tire machine and not have it taking up room on one of my benches. Gots ta head back to TSC tomorrow and trade tires. I had the right size in my hands and put them back. Sorts ticks me off at myself. Need to remind myself to pick up a half doz short valve stems. Dad ratted short memory anyway. Hoping you are all having a great day.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 7:54pm
Tom,
 Sounds a lot like my normal day!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 8:43pm
I got's the right tires today. Went to put them on. 1st tire, right front, I pulled the snap ring and washer off the spindle, but the dang rim would not come off the spindle. I fight the dang tire off the rim and fight the new on. Then trying to get the darn thing out against the rim so it will take air. I finally got a strap outta the motor home and squished it out against the rim. That was after I could not find a clip on air Chuck. There are at least 3 in that darn shop. Took about 2 hours on this 1 darn tire. Left front tire, rim came off the spindle, it took about 5 minutes to change this tire with the new tire machine. The dang right front spindle on this lawn mower is bigger in diameter than the left one. At least I got the road ditch mowed. Old gal wants to mow tomorrow. I'm glad to let her do it. Oh ya, the dang #1 grandson had a flat tire on the right front of this mower last fall. He said he had it fixed. Ya wanna piss off an old tire man, let him find out #1 grandson has filled his lawn mower tire with fix a flat. Man o man that stuff really ticks me off.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 1:44am

Hey Tom,,,and here I thought I was the only"ist one to always fight them dang small tires,,,,, Some time ago ,,I bought the one Harbor Freight sells for the car and trk tires and after some modifications it works pretty darn good,,but you cannot use it on lawn mower tires,,,,,PFFFTttttt,,,!!!
 Can you post a pic of the one you bought ,,,,at TSC,,,??

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 6:26am
The bane of my life IS them small front tires.... flat, not from thorns  butold,cracked rubber,low air, sidewalls split.psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst
I've sat on the fence about buying one of them small machines for 20 years..
have found a reasonable 'cure' though...
tubes !!!
duh !, Princess Auto here sell the 'Hi-Run' brand of HEAVY DUTY tubes ! THICK rubber. I take my time and carefully install, pump up to 25PSi to seat and stay. Spray very soapy water on them, go have coffee, come back 'no bubbles-no troubles'.
Every flat tire gets a tube from now on.......
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 9:02am
I've got one of those lawn trailers. A tire on that would hold air, so I used some of that Fix a Flat on it. That was a few years ago, so far so good.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 6:28pm
I've had one of the HF ones, for years, well worth the $40.  The smaller the tire is the worse they are to mount!  Even putting tubes in is easier...  I just made a vise mount for it, stick it in when I need it...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 10:11pm
I put a 3/4" x 6" (could be a 5/8) Grade 8 bolt into the vise and crank down REAL tight.  You could use a shorter one, but that was all I had at the time.....  Add a couple of big washers and a nut and crank it down so it can't move.  Add a BIG C-Clamp or welding Channel Locks to keep the wheel from spinning, and take the tire off and on.  Put a 2x4 in between the clamp or Channel locks and the vise to keep it from spinning.  Works like a charm and no more cussin and fightin them little pain in the butts mower tires.

But yeah Tom, like Joe says, show us a pic and where you got it.  Might be a lot easier than my method, but I doubt it.  Besides, I'm frugal.

Edited by Ted J - 20 Apr 2020 at 10:13pm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 10:50pm
and i thought ole Joe was the only cheap dude on here besides me! i took one of them little tires in to be fixed once, had a slow leak somewhere. got it back and they charged me something like $30. to have it fixed. well THAT won't happen again! i'll buy another from HF or else foam them! i gots a few of them lawn trailer tires too that seem to be flat on the bottom. i'll just foam them and be done. Tom...if'n i brings you one of them foamed tires...will you fix it for me??? LMAO
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 8:46am

Well,,,I will surely tell you,,,,soons as ole Tom lets us know when, what, where he gots his tire thingie,, ,,Ima gonna get me one or else "Do a Chinese" on it and copy it to make it better,,,,,,(sorry,,I couldn't help myself) Wink I am a terror bout modifying chit to make it better,,,,or cheeper,,!!LOL
  Case in point, last week, I had been workin on a Go Kart my brother brought me to get  it running and he had bought 4 new tires for it and wanted me to dismount and mount the 4 tires,,,,,and,,,and,,,I flat told him NO,NO!! Told him I would charge him $50 per tire,,so he would take em elsewhere,,,!!!
 He took the whole mess to a tire shop and,,,,,,,,,they charged him $25 per tire,,!!  $ 100 bucks to do that,,,But I've been down that road as everybody here. Some of them small tires can cause a man to rethink his goal in life,,I'll tell you for sure,,,,,LOL

TOM,,,,TOM,,where are you,,??
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 10:52am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 12:44pm

Hey Chask,,That is the exact one I bought at HF and it works many wonderfuls on the car and trk tires ,,,but will not work on the smaller tires. I thought it was ole Tom that had bought one strictly for lawn mower tires,,,???
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 1:10pm
i think the one for the small tires mount on a work bench, i've seen a couple 3 and that's how they were mounted. gotta mount them real good! oh...and i thunk maybe ya'll could just burn them little tires off the rims...i know the heat would prolly take the temper outta the rims but...stay with me now...maybe you could re-heat them rims up and then dunk them in the water fast to re-temper? oh...man...i'm starting to thunk like ole Les now!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 2:29pm
Last time I went to tractor supply to buy a tube for my garden trailer tire I bought a tire and rim mounted cheaper than I could buy the tube.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 3:34pm
That's the only one they showed on their online shopping. Maybe they have a smaller one in some stores. I believe it said it would do 8" rims. Harbor freight has them small ones for $37.99 with coupon right now I see.

Coupon 39506312. Use In-Store or Online

Edited by chaskaduo - 21 Apr 2020 at 3:39pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 4:27pm
Only one way to seat beads-----CHEETAH!!! lol! The little 5 gallon guy is big enough ---run that sucker up to 130 psi and blow them right on! ---course ya gotta go chase them little suckers across the yard after you blow them,---BUT 9 times out of 10 the bead is seated! ---I just did one front one on the sunstar 20 this morning----it was a bear! ---some of these tires must be 14 ply! --sidewall said 2 ply BUT it was as stiff as my dump trailer which is 14 ply!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 5:31pm
I use 'belt dressing' on the bead/rim area of all the garden tractor tires I deal with and NONE of them have ever leaked from there afterwards. If the tire's in GREAT shape( NO cracks), I tie a fat rope, centered on the tread, twist rope down a bit, then blow 120# air in. They all seat fine...
I can't be THAT lucky they ALL seat EVERYTIME.....

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 6:04pm
I think its easier to buy it, than build it, but here's a link:

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 9:04pm
Guys I may have miss lead you guys. The little tire machine came from H.F. mower tires came from TSC. Just Google HF. The picture of it comes up. I did put it in the vise, but it makes it so high that it is hard to get any leverage to mount/demount the tires. My welder man is making me a 14"x 14" x 1/4" thick square plate. I will bolt it to the plate and clamp it in my rim clamp tire machine. That will make it about 15" lower and be easier to use. It is not a unit for a professional tire shop, I had 1 of those in the tire shop. This one is good for A home owners garage/shop. Dam JD yellow paint. I had to take the left tire off and put a tube in it. The dang paint was coming off the inside of the rim and I could not get the bead to seal. DYDave that's it thanks you for posting the link. I don't know how to do it.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 21 Apr 2020 at 9:06pm
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

I think its easier to buy it, than build it, but here's a link:

Hey Dave,,,thanks for the link,,, I gots to go to C-Bad again Thursday and I'll stop in and check it out,,,,Clap
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:09am
Tom...what did ya learn by owning that green machine? i thinks the last time i had to seat a bead, i sprayed sum starter fluid inside the tire and throwed a match down in it. it seated just fine!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:13am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

Tom...what did ya learn by owning that green machine? i thinks the last time i had to seat a bead, i sprayed sum starter fluid inside the tire and throwed a match down in it. it seated just fine!

I've seen some of those videos of people doing just that,,,some work,,and some really hurt people when they blow up,,,,,,
 I thought bout tryin that,,,,one time and that was just bout how long it took to change my mind,,,,,,Clap
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:54am
ya gots to know how much juice to squirt in them!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:05am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

ya gots to know how much juice to squirt in them!

Not only how much, but what type.  Since gumbint has changed the formula of ether you can get, the new stuff, just don't have the kick, to get a tire seated!Ermm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:06am
yeah that 'paint' is krappypowder coat , so you need to sand the rim smoooooth, then tire might seal. Might.  Add a thin layer of belt dressing on 100% of the tire beed ( a finger's width..) and the tire WILL seal fine. Unless the tire's got weather checks or bead is damaged from taking tire off....

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:48am
Joe, I had a friend of mine come in the tire shop one fall day. His face was burnt, no eyebrows, etc. He was trying to seat the bead on a big ol combine tire, using ether. He tryed several times with no success. He actually went to town, bought 3 cans of either and squirted all 3 of them in the tire. He actually blew the tire completely off the rim. His hearing finally came back. It was on a Saturday morning, we were very busy in the shop. But I sent one of the guys out. He couldn't find any broken bead wires, so he put the tire back on the rim, used our big bead blaster and had the tire back on in a few minutes. That was the worst case of being an idiot with either I saw. I gotta toss this can of real runny bead sealer and get me a can of thick Bowes brand. I think it would have worked with that brand.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic