This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

blower question on 516 buda/allis engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blower question on 516 buda/allis engine
    Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 10:00am
On my recently aquired forty-five road grader, the blower is froze up, and I was wondering how difficult it is to rebuild it. Now it is not a turbo, it is a belt driven blower. Don't know if it is a matter of just pulling it apart and putting in new bearings, or if there are some high tech specs that need to be followed closely, and a rebuild should be left up to only those who know what they are doing. I did find a company in Missouri that specializes in these old engines, and I was going to send it to them, but I think the freight would be quite spendy, as it is a pretty heavy blower. Any thoughts or advice on it? Thanks, Darrel
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 11:33am
 If sometime I can help am still have a complet blower #4349251
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 6:10pm
gemdozer, where are you located, and how much for the blower? Thanks, Darrel
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 5:03am
 You could open your blower and make he is not just stuck and yes this blower is very heavy and I could dismantled mine for parts
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 8:55pm
Gemdozer, for now I will see what I can get done with mine, and I'll get back to you if I need something, as you are quite a ways away from me as well. Thanks anyway, Darrel
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 6:14am
Darrel,

We're in the process of getting a Forty Five going.  I've found manuals including a service manual that covers this blower.  Details are listed at

as that was about the only post on these beasts that I'd found and there doesn't seem to be a lot on the ADS 516 around when we were looking for parts.

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 6:28am
Gemdozer

The blower assembly part number in my genuine Allis parts book is 4349329, which includes 8 studs, 8 lock washers and 8 nuts.

No number for a bare blower.

Parts book is Form TPL 272 B, overwritten with 70626041. 

The Jensales one is AC-P-45 M GDR ,dated August 1959.  Seems to be the same.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 9:43am
Ian, are you doing a complete restoration, or just getting it useable? I think that I am going to end up shipping my blower to a company in missouri to get rebuilt. They seem very knowledgeable on the old buda engines. Where are you located? Darrel
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 4:32pm
Darrel,

I'm in Queensland, Australia.

We're doing a "get running" for general ranch work, including fence line grading (since a kangaroo put one son's motorbike into a fence and near cut his throat on a barb wire).  This son is a Cat diesel apprentice, so we have professional advice.

This one has been "improved" - now has hydraulic wheel lean and blade roll.

The original engine had dropped a rod bearing and been left open.  We tripped over a rebuilt short motor, and a pair of heads that seem good, so that part will be pretty well restored.  Our blower seems OK - not making oil and the gear clearance seems reasonable.  It sure sucks on hand power anyway.  The comment from our Allis source was that these blowers might look like GM but were made by Allis and parts are almost non-existent - they had a part rebuilt one that they couldn't complete as they couldn't locate a new gear set.  

If we have trouble, an option would be to run it without blower as we have the intake etc from a HD 11 - might smoke a bit.  But it might be possible to play tunes here - graders have a 10mm injector pump plunger and run at 1600 rpm at 28 degrees.  HD 11's had 9 or 10mm plungers, ran at 1800 rpm with timing 28 or 32 degrees.  More research.

I've grafted a Bosch alternator on, as the generator was gone and the water pump was driven by "emergrncy belting".

Our engine is done up to injectors, then rebuild clutch plates and replace in frame.

Next known problem is the worm in the circle drive box.  That will be find a second hand box or a reconstruct.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 4:55pm

My blower too has 8 studs,washers and nuts and I remove the side cover were is the drive pulley andthe the bander pulley and the drive pulley ben sold and the intake manifold from the motor #is 4349433 and the blower # then I give you was on the tag and should blower ass.

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 2:52am
Gemdozer,

OK, got your part.  There were two intake manifolds, change was engine # 98863.

This 9**** engine number appears in other places, mixed with 45-**** type numbers.

This is a complete guess - did Buda have this engine going before Allis bought in, and, if so, what else was it used in?
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 4:04am
This blower was instaled on grader ALLIS CHALMERS with motor 10000 BUDA ALLIS  but dont remember if it was 45 or m100
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 6:04am
Gemdozer,

Cards on table - I'm new to the Allis field, but no stranger to working with parts books and service manuals - and to asking.  And I'm feeding what I find in as "Archives" as one of the better comments I've got on this job was "The people you need have left or died".

I've got no info on M100's, but I'd guess they would have had 10000's (vertical injectors, direct injection) or 11000's (turbo'd 10000's).

The ADS-516 blower engine (in the "Forty Five") has horizontal injectors and Lanova "Energy Cells" on the opposite side of the piston.

If it was on a 10000 series then, according to the "forty five" and "45" parts books I have that looks like a "post-Allis" job.

But probably do-able.  Later 10 series HD 11's drove the fan from the same place as the ADS blower pulley, which likely would have fitted.  But they wouldn't have had the big front camshaft bearing and maybe not the oil feed to the blower drive bearing.  Both of which I presume were done for a reason.

Exhaust manifold are the same part number, so an ADS 516 intake manifold should also bolt on - I guess with a blower  on a 10000 you'd sort of make an 11000?

Incidently the HD 11 parts book I have on loan has a identification table of "Model Symbol", "Engine Model (with tractor number)", "Description" which goes from HD 11B to HD 11FC which I could scan if it would be useful.

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 4:39pm
My motor had ENERGY CELL head and am still have these head and the fuel pump ben sold
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 4:01am
Darrel,

I just found a plate under the paint on our supercharger.  It was made by Schwitzer.  Not sure what this might mean in parts supply.

Any ideas?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 7:00am
I would guess that would be the same company that is very big into manufacturing turbo chargers. I know that they are still in business, so that is a good sign. I may have to hop on their web site and see what I can find, thanks. Darrel
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 5:01am
Darrel,

I had a look.  Now part of Borg Warner and I didn't get very far. 

They seem to have an interesting starting date for Allis if I read that part correctly.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 5:08am
Gemdozer

If those heads are good someone might like them.  Our Allis man said these heads gave a lot more trouble than the vertical injector ones on the 10000 series.  They never got a good pair to finish the short motor we got, and that was a major Allis place. 

Heads I've seen have been good, cracked between intake and exhaust valve (presumably repairable?),  and "repaired".  The last have a lot of erosion on the flat bits and the repair area is also pretty rough. 

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 5:12am
The latest find with ours is that the small worm gear in the circle drive box is stuffed.  So find a wreck or look at rebuilding.   These projects sure keep you off the street.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 12:06pm
I check fast this morning the heads and they look in good condition and the # on is 4336489
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 1:50pm
Ian, I think you will find those Budas are from before Allis bought the company. I have read about the LaPlante Choate TS160 motor scraper which had that engine before Allis bought either of those companys.   Mac
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 5:33am
Mac,

I'm not suprised.  Supercharging seemed to be a thing of the era.  Just been to the Transport Museum at Alice Springs (recommended if you get the chance) and noticed that superchargers feature on the RR's in the Vesty road trains (Rotianoff) and on a Cummins of around that era.

Also saw a mention of supercharged 844 Buda's in trucks in a early Kenworth forum.  Apparently these were in very early HD 21's.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 7:26pm
Update.  We're going! 

Our 45 moved under its own power on New Year's Eve.  Circle gearbox is rebuilt and control drive lines tarted up.  Still some work to chase out wear in the eye of the steering arm.  And then tyres.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 1:01am
Good goin Ian. Another one saved from extinction!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 3:38am
Mactractor,

Yes, for the moment anyway.  And the bloke who was driving it when it blew came by and had a look and a listen.  And then commented "It'll see you out" - one tribute I can take, not sure I needed the other!

Re extinction - I haven't found a dead one to raid yet - or many live either.   I know of one earlier in the area still mobile.  And a grader workshop operator said he'd just done a school with a 45 that hadn't run for 15 years.

No-one has called me a bloody fool on this project, most comments being of the sort "If you get it going, they were a good old grader".

Now I have to learn to drive it.  More when I know more.

Some more on my findings on the ADS 515 posted at http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ac&th=139967
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic