This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blinking lights: had enough of them!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blinking lights: had enough of them!
    Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 7:26am
Since my chemical delivering job was seasonal, I got laid off a few months ago from it, and went to work for a neighbor delivering cattle mineral for him. For him, I am driving a chevy four door one ton dually. Now since all of my vehicles are old, and this one is new, this is my first experience with a vehicle with a blinking light in the side door mirrors. Now is this just me, or is that blinking light in the mirror the dumbest idea that anyone ever dreamt up? The things are so bright that you can't see if you look directly at them. When you pull up to a stop sign to make a left turn, obviously you have the left blinker on. Second obvious thing is that you have to look out the left window to check for cars coming, and if all you can see is this freaking bright red arrow in the mirror blinking at you, I fail to see the safety factor in it. Also, when I go to make a lane change from right lane to left lane, I check the mirror, then turn on the left blinker, just like I've done my whole life. And bam, bright red arrow blinds you. I am getting used to looking forward before turning on the blinker to make a lane change, but I still don't like the SOB light when making a left turn. Darrel
Sponsored Links

Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 7:32am
It's a Chevy thing, both my Rams have mirror mounted blinkers and you can't see them from the passenger compartment.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 7:51am
It's just another 'feature' that shouldn't be. It probably  was  done to put food on several relatives tables...
If it was on my ride, the wires would be disconnected PDQ..though some 'genius' might have the 'computer' KNOW what I'd done and even MORE lights would flash warnings AND the truck won't start.......

reminds me of the guys installing LED brake/turn lights. LEDS ARE better(come on faster). less power BUT the 'computer' don't see them and say 'warning ,warning, bulb busted...'

I hate computers...

now heated side mirrors would be nice....

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 8:13am
Sounds like a job for Gorilla tape to me.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 9:24am
Another bad reason why trucks cost what they do.😡
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 11:09am
Hopefully you can take it to t dealer and they can disconnect them.  More crap that WE don't want and like Stan says, "Another bad reason why trucks cost what they do.😡"
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 12:15pm
I drove three different new trucks last month. During the day I never noticed a problem. Would a piece of duck tape help? Kinda Red Green her up???
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 12:30pm
since it's not your ride, duct tape is the best solution.

you might want to try to find WHICH of the 200+ fuses powers it...
Jay

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 12:44pm
Humm i dont think my '15 F250 has that feature? Or if it does I havent noticed it. Could be a Chevy thing? They really need to just work on getting their headlights and running lights to last. Just sayin.......:)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 12:45pm
Our Ford T/S lamps in the mirrors are forward and outward facing, nothing in the mirror lens.
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 1:37pm
My 09 Chevy has it in the mirror and seems to shine at the cab more than my wifes 19 gmc yukon
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 2:04pm
I was think carry a roll of electrical tape to cover the arrow
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 5:43pm
I did forget to add that it's only problem after dark, not in the daylight. Darrel
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 5:53pm
Its to keep old farts from leavin their blinkers on, fer miles and miles...Wink
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 10:06pm
them things is on my old lady's.....oooops….I mean the loving wifes new burb too. they don't blind me when I drive it, but I always keep doing what I've done all my time of driving. maybe re-adjust the mirror some would help? a lot of the new semis and straight trucks also feature this.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 10:53pm
My company vehicle is now a '19 F250.

The yellow blinking light in the mirrors is part of the 'blind spot awareness'.  Here's how it works:

Dirt accumulates on sensor in the rear turn signal area.
Sensor detects echo of garbage around the truck, and flashes the yellow light to attract your attention... blinding you, so you can't see anything in the mirror, and distracting you long enough to hit something on the opposite side, or ahead of you.

When you start to slide a little, the 'stability control' starts activating the brakes, so that countersteering has no useful purpose, at which point, you release the seatbelt, open the door, and jump out into the ditch, and wave goodbye to a $60,000 piece of junk.

The first thing I did, was pull this brand new truck into our shop, applied masking paper to the windshield and doors, and spray paint the mirrors black.  Why?  Because the stylists thought it cute to put  big chrome-plated plastic caps on the mirrors, facing the driver, so that ANY time there was glare, it would be reflected into the driver's eyes.

Then I took out all the chrome inserts in the dash vents, and took a big black magic marker and blacked out all the other chrome trim, turned on  the headlights after dark, and smeared black ink all over every backlighted thing on the dashboard.  I put black tape over the yellow lights in the mirrors, and placed a piece of cardboard over most of the instrument cluster- I left the speedometer visible, and shaded the odometer with some window tint film.

Next thing I did, was disconnect the multi-function display panel in the middle of the dash, because, like everything else, is so damned bright in my periphery that it destroys night vision.

Now I haven't yet figured out how to stop all the nuisance alarm bells that're going off  (Trailer Connected... side traffic protection disabled)... and (Windshield Washer Low) and (Backup Camera Not Available) (no $#it... there's no tailgate either...) and "Dog Pissed on Tire" and "Cupholder is Empty" and "Cellphone is not paired to SYNC" and "Heater is finally working" and "Check back seat for unopened pumpkinseed packages" alarms...

One of these days, some company will get really smart, and invent a truck that has a steering wheel, a keyswitch, a light switch, turn signal stock, shifter, brake, and gas pedal, and call it done.

I got a '74 Chevy one-ton... one of these days, I'm gonna put the extra Buick 455 in it, with a MegaSquirt and a 6spd auto, put a real service body on it, and give my boss the keys to this aluminum skinned POS...  It only gets 9mpg, weighs almost a ton more than the old Chevy, and they have the exact same GVW.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 6:03am
gee Dave , you could get rich writing a book about your 'favorite ride'...WinkHonestly I appreciate your 'from the drivers' seat'  feedback. Maybe you can dedicate a post of just your 'fun with the Ford' ? Sadly I KNOW you're going to add to it....

Jay

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:26am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

gee Dave , you could get rich writing a book about your 'favorite ride'...WinkHonestly I appreciate your 'from the drivers' seat'  feedback. Maybe you can dedicate a post of just your 'fun with the Ford' ? Sadly I KNOW you're going to add to it....

Jay

He already did a while back.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:31am
Gosh it must be a real bummer to have to drive a new truck.  LOL

My Antique 2012  F 250 does not have all of them nice features.  But it is a plain Jane XLT.

Can't you turn the display off like we can in the wife's Toyota?

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 8:02am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Its to keep old farts from leavin their blinkers on, fer miles and miles...Wink

Certainly hasn’t helped to cut back on those morons doing that, as I see it all the time, mirror lights blinking right along with all the others for miles. Then on the other hand, thers’s the steering wheel holder school graduates that don’t even know That their car has turn signals, even though turn signals have been standard equipment since the early 1950s.
    What cars really need is a photocell installed in the High Beam curcit to turn off the brighter than the sun headlights when another vehicle approaches.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 8:37am
I guess I'm in the minority here, I've got a 2015 Ram 3500 4x4,6.4 Hemi single cab work truck, sat radio, bluetooth, power windows, mirrors, and locks, sliding back window, limited slip rear end, transfer case lever on the carpeted floor, plow and trailering packages, chrome appearance package, still a pretty basic truck, cost $35,000 out the door new, gets 16 MPG going down the road at 70+ with 4000 lbs in the box, and I couldn't be happier, just turned 82,000 miles this morning and I've done nothing to it but change oil and one set of tires. Nothing back in the days of plain jane trucks (90's and before) could compare to this, power-wise, fuel economy, towing capability, or cost of maintenance. I liked that one so much that last spring I bought a loaded 2500 crew cab Ram for personal use, with every bell and whistle known to man on it, no complaints there either, and probably won't go back to Fords any time soon. Both of these trucks haul about 75% of miles driven, especially the 3500, so they don't sit in the drive to look pretty. I like the comforts and have no desire to go back to old school gas guzzling, oil leaking, gutless V-8's or even worse, straight sixes of yesteryear. First shop I ever worked at had a C60 chevy with a 292 six in it, 4 speed with a two speed rear end, spring packs about a foot high, put 5 tons on that 5 ton truck and it took just about a half a mile to get her up to 55, which was all it was good for, right to the mat, no thanks. Same shop had a one ton Chevy, 292 again, that jewel would haul two tons and do 65 right on the floor and average about 6 miles to the gallon, new engine required about every 50,000 miles in both of them. I bought my first new truck in 1979, and about 15 since, every one has been better than the one they replaced. I will agree that a lot of the trinkets are excessive and not needed, and I saw a Chevy with those mirror mounted turn arrows, and they are annoying to say the least.  I just had to replace the mirror on the Laramie (chrome, heated, power adjust and power fold) and the list price on that was over $900.00 and that did sting a little. But in general I don't miss 8 MPG loaded, 12,000 mile tune-ups, 30,000 mile brake and exhaust work, and rust holes in 2-3 years from new. With the new trucks, If the lights on the dash are too bright, I dim them and keep going, if the roads are greasy, I turn off the traction control, if I'm hauling and hear a noise, the cargo camera puts my mind at ease instead of stopping on the interstate and getting A$$ brushed at 75 MPH by some slick who's not paying attention. We've got a group of kids here at the shop now that are into 70's 4 x 4 trucks in a big way, good hobby for them, and they have some really nice old trucks, but I have no desire to borrow one for the weekend, I'd rather take my old M-37 out in the woods, top end of 50, but pretty much unstoppable in low range, and it has no turn signals, no power anything, no heat, no air, wipers that barely work, and will leave me sore and tired after 3 or 4 hours of two tracking.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 9:38am
Did NOT get all the bells and whistles? GEEZ, Mine looks like a stripped refugee from a scrap yard after all that!!

I will not buy a new wagon for awhile, TOO much money for what you end up with. I will most likely run my 99 Ford SD into the ground where when it dies I will purchase a Class 7 and cease all the Wanna be big truck BS off. Do not use the FWD as often as ever considered, did pretty much everything I do now for YEARS in a 2WD truck. Bells and whistles, do NOT need a BU camera for trailering, nor do I need one for general purpose as I DO LOOK BACK and KNOW How to Drive as well KNOW HOW to USE Mirrors. Large Trucks may have a back window but are useless where you earn your seat in operating them by NO ACCIDENTS.

4000lbs, hmmm. My SD 250 when I used it was hauling 14000 on the Goose WEEKLY to Salem MO with near to a thousand IN the bed around the hitch, speed was not so much the rule as was keeping safe stopping distances, ABS and I are NOT friends. Truck Licensed at 24000#. I was a mechanic too long witnessed MANY a test that DID NOT show out well. Traction control I LEAVE OFF in ANY vehicle I am behind the wheel in, have no use of that. Saw a friend with that on his truck get hung up MORE than not in FWD when I was still in 2WD and went around him. ANY system that applies braking in a traction control condition is ASKING to get you STUCK.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic