This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Boy 4014 7/30/19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Boy 4014 7/30/19
    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 7:23am
[TUBE]Za8YQOi0I4E[/TUBE]
I drove up near Fulton,Il yesterday and sat in the shady breeze for an hour and a half to catch a close up view of the UP's Big Boy headed back West toward Clinton,Iowa.
 Make no mistake, when they say BIG BOY Wink
 I didn't notice till I had the video uploaded, that each baggage and passenger car has a name. Then I found a UP site that lists all their named cars,with a listing of pdf files. each file tells about the individual cars, when they were built and a bit bout the name. Some files have pictures of the interior of the car.
 The cars on this train, front to back they are, Joe Jordon, Jim Adams, Art Lockman, Howard Fogg, Lynn Nystrom, Challenger, Promontory, Green River, Walter Dean, City of Denver, and Kenefick. Each of the cars names can be viewed at this link. There is a pdf file for each name. https://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/historical_equipment/index.htm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Sponsored Links

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 7:41am
Thanks for posting, very interesting. Do the cars carry passengers on this trip? If so, wonder how you get to be there.
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 10:37am
I love those old steam engines,  yes I do remember them chugging up through our woods.  That track was our play ground.  Lonesome whistle blowing in the middle of the night is a memory I will never forget.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:20am
Thanks for posting the video!
The only car I know is Howard Fogg, he was an artist (painter) who lived a few miles from me.  He was in love with steam and painted trains of all kinds, usually with a beautiful background.  I think he painted at least one picture of a steam tractor that the family I attached myself to owns.  Austin, who is on the Big Boy crew, wasn't able to attend the wedding last Saturday for his cousin as he was on the train.  I did see his wife there.
I was hoping to see Austin in the video as he often fires the engine but not this time I guess.

Edited by JohnCO - 31 Jul 2019 at 11:26am
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:46am
I was going to see what route they had planned for it and how close it got to me, and I forgot to look.
 Just looked and seen it was just 25 miles from me two times... and could have had a chance to watch it thunder through twice between the 18th and the 23rd. DANG! Cry   Angry!!!  Sure would have been awesome to see it go through. Oh well. 
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 1:19pm
Why was the diesel engines in the train?
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 4:04pm
i have to admit i was wondering about that too.........
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 4:07pm
They use the diesel for the Dynamic(Electric backfeed) Brake and extra air(larger compressor) for the regular brakes.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 4:56pm
The diesel engines may have also been powering AC units on some of the passenger cars? A couple of them definitely had something running, you could hear it in real life as they went by.

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:15pm
That is a monster! Thanks for sharing.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:54pm
All the reasons stated above, plus the big wigs at UP insist on a diesel.  Part of the thinking is that basically, the Big Boy is a brand new engine and there is always a chance something can break.  I was told they don't want to stress anything too much with only a few dozen hours on it.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 8:23am
Very nice! Thanks for posting!
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:14am
did they have the challenger with it when it came to ogden utah they had the two steamers and a diesel there to 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:48am
Nope, this was a solo trip with that diesel unit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic