This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Practices for Winterizing Allis-Chalmers Trac

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elitecontainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Practices for Winterizing Allis-Chalmers Trac
    Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 5:16pm
Hey Allis-Chalmers enthusiasts,

With winter approaching, I wanted to share some tips for winterizing our tractors:

1. Fluids: Drain and replace engine oil, coolant, and other fluids.
  2. Battery: Disconnect and store the battery in a warm place.
  3. Fuel: Add a fuel stabilizer to prevent the fuel from degrading.

What are your winterizing routines? Looking forward to hearing your tips!

Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 5:47pm
4. Raise tractor up on blocks,so no weight on tires/tubes/rims
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 6:17pm
no need to drain anything.. get antifreeze down to -20 degree level ( or lower if your in COLD area)... charge battery with tender and leave in the tractor.. no blocks, it can set for 3-4 months... run the fuel down as low as possible.. add stabalizer to the las gallon if you want.. i dont bother and have had no problems.

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 Jul 2024 at 6:18pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 7:59pm
My personal opinion is if I was going to drain (change) fluids, I would rather do it in the spring, just before I was going to use it, so any condensation is drained out. I do watch for milky fluids.

My tractors don't get enough hours on them to even change oil every year. Some are lucky to get 5 hours of actual run time in a year.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 7:47am
So WF, how often should one change oil in a tractor that only runs a few hours per year? I have the same problem; they are stored in an insulated building and rarely does the temperature get below freezing. Thanks.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 8:24am
Winter approaching? Check your calendar, it’s July where I am.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 8:24am
Run the fuel in the tank way down.
Add some Stabil in the fuel tank.
Drain the Carburetor and fuel line completely
Pull the Battery and put it on a Battery tender in the wire shop
Air the tires up a little higher than I would normally have em'.
If sitting outside, I put a 4 mil plastic zip bag over the Alternator or Gennie
Give it a good coat of wax on it for the Winter months.
I do the same thing with my Antique cars. But I put the cars on jack stands to get the weight off the tires to eliminate flat spots. I leave the Antifreeze in all the Tractors and vehicles....
Steve@B&B

39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic