This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best mower type for B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best mower type for B
    Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 7:03am
I need to mow about 5 acres of grass on a regular basis.  I would like to use my little B to do this.  What would be safer for this tractor, a pull along mower (bush hog), or a belly mower?  I've read here that the C and B tractors are too light in front and often pull the wheels off the ground. Also, what SIZE bush hog would be appropriate?  I'm assuming these come in different sizes.  My wife may also do some of the mowing--thus the question about safety. 
Sponsored Links

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 8:13am
That would based on opinion and not fact. Both tractors were designed as farm tractors to do heaver tasks than mow grass and are only unsafe when used in an unsafe manor. It is sad that some people can not recognize when they are not operating a tractor in a safe manor and blame the tractor rather than themselves.   Old people that bought these tractors when new were not stupid. You only have to look at the numbers manufactured and sold to make a judgment. Or you could look at the number that survived not being rolled over side ways or tipped over backwards.

Edited by Dick L - 21 Jun 2015 at 3:01pm
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 8:38am
Steve,
Woods belly mower comes to mind as being about right for the B. May a 5 foot version. Not sure how they rig to the pulley for the belt drive? Lifting the unit may be the challenge?
Tractor safety should always be on our minds.
We need some pictures of the model B!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
cosborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 8:47am
A belly mower hooks up by a pulley to ether the rear pto or the spindle for the belt drum. A tensioner pulley set up is used to correct the direction. It can ether be a manual lift or hydraulic.

If you use a brush hog. I would recommend a 4 or 5 foot pull type with an overrun clutch. And front wheel or engine weights.
1949 "C" vin #c71215, 1939 "B" Wide front, WD45 nf, WD45 wf, 1941 "C" work in progress. Wd wide front
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 9:20am
Belly mowers are GREAT for a weekly mower. They make it look like a lawn. Down side is, mounting and dismounting if you want to use the tractor for something else.
 A small bush-hog could keep a patch mowed pretty good and not HAVE to do it every week. It can also be detached easily , to do other things wit your tractor.
 Light fronts are pretty easy to remedy, but it would only be light if you had a mounted 3 point BH. A trailer type BH will do the same mowing job, maybe not quit as handy as 3 point for backing up.
 Lots of things to consider !

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 9:22am
Mowing 5 acres with a 4' mower will become a part time job. If that's what you like, great. I'm mowing about 4.5 acres of a 4.8 acre piece this year with a 5015 and a 4' bush hog and it's over a 4 hour ride with no breaks. Last time I was there over 5 hours due to a 50 minute rain delay.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 9:49am
I doubt the front end would be a problem, no matter which way you went. Just don't mow up and down steep hills, which I wouldn't recommend anyway.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 10:16am
Hubnut,  If you are going to use my favorite for lawn mowing I would highly recommend the Woods L59.  About five foot wide, front mounted, covers a fairly large area and can be maneuvered easy. 
While I did not sell many I hear very good reports.  You may want to use the hydraulic lift arrangement. 
Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck!
Bill Long 
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 12:43pm
If you want it to be a lawn then a Woods L59 is the belly mower if choice. It is not good for mowing tall grass above 5 in. If it is not to be a lawn cut to 2-3 in,  then a brush hog is in order. I have used a B and a Woods mower for 35 years to mow my lawn.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
DanC911 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanC911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 1:09pm
How would a rear PTO finish mower on the 3-point work?  
1950 WD, 1955 B, 66 Jacobsen Chief-O-Matic, 68 Simplicity 2110, 77 IH Cub Cadet 1450 w/front loader
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 3:36pm
I have used my 3 pt finish mower on my CA and would not recommend it you can forget about ever lifting it off the ground and trying to turn. I do mow with my woods L306 on either the C or CA. It's a great mower. Hanging 700 lbs of mower deck under the belly of a C lowers the CG so far it's scary how steep of a in lie you can operate on. I would go with the L 59 or L306 on your B. I have removed the hyd lift function on mine since there useless any way and just installed a piece of pipe I place of the ram. The front chain needs to be hooked up to prevent the deck from dropping to far when the guide wheels drop in a hole. My L59 mowed great without guide wheels but the L306 tilted side to side without them. I take mine to the church and mow 8 acres. It takes 5 hours on a jd 60" lawn tractor. And 2 1/2 hours on the CA with a 72" cut. It's amazing how much faster the woods deck mows And still has an exceptable cut. It does however tie up the tractor for the whole summer. If I need a tractor for something else I use another tractor.
TL12A View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TL12A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 3:48pm
I mow about3 acres with a Woods L306 with a hydraulic lift and am very pleased with it. As someone mentioned, it's not a unit that you would want to frequently install and remove---Dan
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 5:06pm
Thanks all for your comments.  Are the Woods L306 or L59 still available for purchase?  Or am I looking for a used unit?
indiana2door View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indiana2door Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 6:31pm
I too mowed 5 acres for many years using  a Woods L59 under a B. Finally thought to myself there has to be a better way.  The non live pto and hydraulics always made things interesting. Got a Dixie Chopper and never looked back. One of the better decisions I've made.
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 6:48pm
I think Woods still sells them.
http://www.woodsequipment.com/productDetails.aspx?id=335
   A couple of things...
     With that amount of mowing, I would opt for the L306, which is the mower I have under my mowing B. The difference between it and an L59 will make a difference in a hurry.
     If you mow it regularly, you might also consider adding a Swisher style pull behind to the belly mower for width of cut (adding 60" Swisher to a 72" Woods belly mower) for an open space mowing machine, plus they get up under trees limbs without messing up the paint on the tractor.
    Most people have better luck with their Woods mowers if they run the belt on the tight side, and keep the blades sharp.
     While Woods is usually proud of their mowers in the price range, they are usually quite available in the used market, though not as common near us.
   Artsway is also another mower manufacturer that you might keep an eye on for your B belly mower.
   David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
dkattau View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkattau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 6:58pm
Whatever you get, try to get a rear discharge. You can go any direction, trim on either side, use less power, and it won't windrow as bad as a side discharge.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 7:12pm
And for support, a simple call to Brenda at Sandy Lake Implement has had everything I have ever needed for the mower, with fast shipping!
  David from jax
               Northeast Florida
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by indiana2door indiana2door wrote:

I too mowed 5 acres for many years using  a Woods L59 under a B. Finally thought to myself there has to be a better way.  The non live pto and hydraulics always made things interesting. Got a Dixie Chopper and never looked back. One of the better decisions I've made.

Ya beat me to it. I have a DC 60" with a 28 EFI Kohler on it.  2000+ hours on it, so far. Wore out 2 sets of rear tires, and working on the 3rd...Wink
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 9:01pm
The short wheelbase of a DC makes the ride a little rougher than a longer wheelbase Allis Chalmers B. The field I mow at the church was offered to the guy who does up around the building. He did about 1/3 of it and quit...said it was too rough of a ride for a zero turn.
   Around trees and other obstacles, there is no doubt a zero turn will outperform a B, but in wide open spaces, with the L306, I think the Allis will run with the best of them. Plus an Allis B with a belly mower can be purchased for a lot less than a DC, last time I saw a price tag on one.
   David from jax
               Northeast Florida
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 9:39pm
I mow with Woods 59's under the B or C because of the tractor I am using. Besides that it takes less gas than most other units.
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 12:50am
Get a regular 59 not the L59.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Nathan (SD) Nathan (SD) wrote:

Get a regular 59 not the L59.

Funny thing about that, is Woods lists the Allis B for both as compatible tractors, under their website. Since I prefer the 306, I won't comment about which L59 or 59 is supposed to be the correct one. I think Woods would steer him straight if he called them. Otherwise, get a 5 or 6 foot belly mower off another B.
   David from jax
               Northeast Florida
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic