This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best company to build a new shed/ shop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spencefarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best company to build a new shed/ shop?
    Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 10:11pm
We are looking at putting up a 60x80 shed with a 24x30 wood shop in it. I've talked to Morton buildings. I'm getting with FBI buildings tomorrow as well as Cleary. Is there anybody else I should look at and does anybody have any experience dealing with any of these?
Sponsored Links

Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 11:49pm
FBI is owned by the Bahler Family,,,,,,,, and are relaed to most of the AC's at Fairbury.................. 
They build a good building for a fair price. If you go with them, you wont believe how fast a building can be built!!!!!!!!!! Depending on size, I doubt if it will take the second day!
And their building will be every b it the equal of the other two. My uncle had a Morton, and it has been a good building,,,,,,,,,,,, but the framing lumber is small............... It looks like they take a 2@8 and rip it to make a 2@4..............
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 6:26am
sigh, wish I could get a 'shed' built  that was 60 by 80  !!!
All I can do is dream and offer you ideas like infloor heating for the wood shop,run power in external conduit NOT buried in the outside walls,windows on the south side to get daylight ,especially the woodshop, if possible.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 9:13am
I had a Morton put up in '83 a add on in '89 and again in '02. We moved in '12 and in the spring of '13 I had another new Morton.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 10:10am

I built an FBI building and they were $1000's cheaper than Morton and I am very well satisfied with it.  You and your dad were in it when you bought those parts from me.  if you would like to come look at it again you are welcome to come over and look it over or give me a call.  Wayne

TOM (NE) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOM (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 7:44pm
I have a 56 x 90 Astro building which is very well built. Our local dealer is out of Omaha Nebraska did a great job installing it.  You may want to check on pricing  with this company also.

Tom
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 9:26pm
Guys I see a lot of the Amish guys putting up buildings in Iowa. They have their own steel plant in Leon Iowa. If they are in your area, I would check with them.
Sherman Farms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 11:50am
Local amish just finished a 60x136 with overhangs,vapor barrier and overhead doors with openers for me for 51,000.Lots cheaper than other builders.
B, C, RC, 3 wc,2 wd,3 wd45, d15, d17, d19, d21, 190, 440, 7040, 918 backhoe, 12 roto balers, 7 60 combines, 40, 66,2 72,90 super, sp100, Gleaner E, F3, 3 L2, R62, and much more
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Sherman Farms Sherman Farms wrote:

Local amish just finished a 60x136 with overhangs,vapor barrier and overhead doors with openers for me for 51,000.Lots cheaper than other builders.
Stupid question I suppose.....but material AND labor?  If so.....HOLY $#!^Shocked
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 12:00pm
thats everything total cost
B, C, RC, 3 wc,2 wd,3 wd45, d15, d17, d19, d21, 190, 440, 7040, 918 backhoe, 12 roto balers, 7 60 combines, 40, 66,2 72,90 super, sp100, Gleaner E, F3, 3 L2, R62, and much more
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 12:14pm
Pictures and builders names ect would be nice.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Sherman Farms Sherman Farms wrote:

thats everything total cost

Well then, HOLY $#!^ !!  That's cheap.  Must be NO concrete work though??
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 8:44am
no concrete yet but will be putting heat in the floor by spring. This building will house our Allis and Gleaner collection.
ihc pickups View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihc pickups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:47am
I had a 40 x 60 with 12' walls and 4 doors put up 4 years back for 56,000. this was with 5" of concrete.. Happy with bldg. but if I did all over I would put in more of the insulation they offered VS what I had them put in. Other than that nice building. QSI is the building name.
Mike
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:00pm
I got a Morton (1986) and its nice enough but todays pricing is stupid.Think you can do better.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 11:22am
I built a Cleary 36' x 48' building a couple years ago.  It's been okay for me.  No complaints.

I've since put a concrete floor and drain in along with an apron out front.
Goose View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:05pm
I had a Northland building constructed and I am extremely pleased.
"People are human beings, produced by the society in which they live. You encourage people by seeing the good in them." ~ Nelson Mandela
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 5:39pm
No way to do it yourself ? 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 5:55pm
Check with the local companies as lumber yards and truss sales, they will have other names.  My House, Barn and workshop all built by same guys, quality work and at a third what the Big Names priced us.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 6:31pm
I had two buildings put up by Pioneer Pole Builders located in PA. First one was a 30x40, and the second one was 30x32 at the new house.  I was so pleased with the first building they did and the price they did it for, that I hired em' again to do the second building. Morton builds a nice building, but man they are expensive!  I could of had three pioneer buildings built for the price of one Morton. Not knockin' the company, just couldn't afford them!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by kenziereb kenziereb wrote:

Sorry to go back so far in time. I'm just going to make an annex to my house and possibly completely redo the facade and the house's overall design. I understand that it's not the same level of work as a workshop. You have to fork out more in that case and endure the difficulties associated with remodeling. What can you say about the companies that were listed above? I've considered different builders and liked Central Avenue Homes. I prefer the spirit of businesses that take on non-standard tasks. They are likely to have already had a lot of experience in this field. I think they know what to do and how to do it.

SPAM reported!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 6:36pm
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 7:19pm
Strat-o-span 60 x 120 here. been up 20 years now, still works o.k. Had a 60 x 100 from them at the other place that was s'posed to go to Alaska,---contract fell thru and we got the building at a bit of a discount. That was 30 years ago and that building is still doing its job.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 9:22pm
Sugarmaker builds a nice shed. See he'll give you a quote
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 10:07pm
I see spencefarm last posted on Oct 17, 2020, I'm wondering what company they chose for their building and if it got built?
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 2:14am
when i was thinking of a new building, i went to husker harvest days as all the building companies build their buildings there for the show. i checked each company's buildings and how they were built. what and how they were put together. saw alot of them with a space between the roof and the rafters. that's a good place for birds to build nests. i didn't build one that year, but went back to husker harvest days the next year just to see what each building company may have changed their buildings. i saw a few changes on some of them. (i had notes i wrote from the previous years observations). i settled on 2 brands, they were built pretty much the same, and had good bird control, the 1st was ASTRO, the second was LESTER. i did have a new ASTRO erected, 60x40x14.6., comparing some of the things...some companies used 2x4 nailers, ASTRO used 2x6. some had 12 ft bays, ASTRO had 10 ft bays. some used 6x6 posts. ASTRO used 3 2x6's nailed together for a post (better design), some used 2x6 & 2x8's in thier rafters, ASTRO uses 2x6 and 2x10's in their rafters. i saw one company fasten a 2x4 on top of a 2x6 calling it a 2x10! as per the LESTER building, the dealer for them in my area had just gone out of business due to an injury from an accident so there wewre no LESTER builders in my area at that time. so i went with ASTRO, have been very pleased with that building. the dealer/crew had it up and completed in 3 days. i have 2/3rds of it insulated. if i build any more, i'll go with ASTRO again. i had a CLEARY rep at my house last year quoting me for a steel roof on my house, i asked him if they could add a patio/deck roof onto my house and he said yes. i showed him where i wanted it and to send me a quote, he looked it over and said his crew don't dig post holes by hand, so he  said he couldn't give me a quote. he didn't get the job re-roofing my house either!      
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 2:16am
oh...and MORTON is the highest priced building in my area. they were also one of the companies that offered bird nest hotels inside and used 2x4 nailers with solid posts.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 8:26am
That must have been some time ago. My Morton was put up in ‘02 and has bird blocking in the gap between post and tin, laminate columns, and mesh screens to keep birds out of the soffit. And they never build a nest anywhere in the trusses. However, it did not stop a raccoon from climbing the door post and raise a litter in the header above the overhead door.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 1:21pm
I used a company in Pa— Shirks Pole buildings. Very pleased with price & quality. My father used Morton. Morton has a better updraft design than most local companies but figure my insurance will pay if tornado rips it up.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 7:43am
plummersc....one of the stockholders put his Morton building up about 5-6 years ago...that was the building i was comparing to plus the ones at husker harvest days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic