This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 301?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wise4agm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 301?
    Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 8:37am
I've been tossing around the idea of building another 301 for my 190xt to make mine a little hotter. I know that there were improvements through the years so what would be the best one to look for and what are the improvements that they have? Any big structure differences I should look for? (Block, head, rods?). Is there any 301 that is going to have a big enough pump on it that I could use or will I be looking at replacing that anyway?
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 9:00am
Talked to an older mechanic last night and he was talking of the JAP rods etc in the 200, the later 301,s ; he talked like they were all junk , nothing in spec ; seems the early ones were good ecept for the cam driven oil pump set up
AS185 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AS185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 9:42am
I run my stock 301/8010 engine around 45-50 lbs of boost at 4500 r.p.m. no damage yet and it has been 6 years of pulling. I have to agree with the older mechanic.
2wise4agm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wise4agm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 1:52pm
That's what I have now. Cam driven oil pump and connecting rods with the serrated caps. Works great and pulls good, but I know it's probably gonna give it up some day and I just want to be a little prepared when it does. It isn't too hot, turns 3000 or so rpm and only builds 40 lbs of boost so I've got a little time. Most of my pulls have a speed limit of 5 or 7 mph. My tractor is really good in those pulls, but I don't have the power to run the open classes which I would like to do in the future.
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 10:11pm
The later 301 block are nice due to the crank driven oil pump and piston cooling. If you plan on running good enough to be in 7th gear in a 190 the connecting rods probably should be hardened. If you want to go faster than 7th gear in a 190 you need an inline pump or could use the American Bosch rotary pump (like on the later 8010 engines). The later cylinder heads vs. the older heads - no difference in performance. Copper injector sleeves in the newer heads.
rowcropmafia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowcropmafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 12:42pm
I have one for sale on here with a bosch pump. Im sure you already saw it. I have it a 180 could run 6th gear well sometimes 7th at 3000 rpm
AC200Puller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC200Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 6:11pm
I run a late model block with hardened rods in it and 426 valves ported early head and 426 valves with reliefs cut in the jugs to make room for them with a dm style pump putting out 410 cc's seems to be very reliable and competitive, the biggest thing is to have a turbo that matches your setup.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic