This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery/ starting issue AC170

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery/ starting issue AC170
    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 2:07pm

Howdy,
    AC 170 gas barely started today. Parked for a hour and no start. Starter wants to turn over but can not. Now and then lucky it cranks enough to start. Battery has 12-13 volts but only 4 volts at starter when cranking. So where do I start?

Thanks Kurzy
Sponsored Links

Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 2:30pm
How old is the battery? Sounds like it could be bad, need to check voltage when running and make sure it’s charging.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 2:33pm
bad cables ? What happens if you put good jumper cables direct from battery to starter ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 2:39pm
   Howdy,
   Battery test 12 volt but 12 volt   at alt when running. Thats a problem. New cables. Will try good cables to battery to starter.

Thanks Kurzy
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 2:44pm
The first thing I look at is to make sure the terminals and cables are clean. I had the same problem with my 170. The battery had 13 volts but would not start. The cables and terminal were black. I had to use a reamer type cleaner to get them clean. The brush type would not do the job.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:04pm
Howdy Joe,
My cables and everything else on this tractor are clean as new or new.

The battery bought just 6 months ago is at carquest now for their charging and test. I dont have a battery short enough to go in its spot right now. What a way to make to get a battery in a 170 AC!! You can take hood almost off then you can get a much bigger battery in. So later today i will go get my battery and try cables battery to starter.

Thanks Kurzy.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:49pm
IF you only have 12 volts at the starter with the motor running, you have an alternator problem.

and JOE is right about the cables... I know this is probably not your problem, but MOST starting problems are due to dirty cables... Dont "LOOK" at the cable and say its clean.. Run a reamer or  40 grit sandpaper over the batter terminals, cables, ground clamps.. They have to be BARE and SHINNY...Not just LOOK OK.

Edited by steve(ill) - 23 Sep 2021 at 3:52pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:00pm

Howdy,
  Just put battery back in from carquest and they tested and charged it. 12.8 volts. OK so put battery in and hooked cables to post to starter. starter snap right over and started right now.  this would mean starter is not the problem? Only two things left, solenoid or regulator? Whats next fellows?

Thanks Kurzy
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:24pm
   HowdySteve,
  I know what you fellows are saying, my cables are clean as can be, yes shiny just like new lead inside and out. Post too.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:43pm
If it started right up after charging the battery, then the battery, starter and solenoid are OK.... Something ran down the battery, or the alternator is junk... You said the alternator was only putting out 12 volts... should be 14 v..... im not sure if you have an internal regulator  in the alternator or external... One of them is bad.

if you have external regulator , and the COVER is removable.. remove it and close the contact manually and see what alternator output is.

Edited by steve(ill) - 23 Sep 2021 at 5:45pm
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 7:10pm
    Howdy Steve,
  My charger showed the battery full charge. Car quest just charges battery before testing. The battery they borrowed me also was full charge but did not turn the starter enough to start. After repeated attempts to try start the tractor it did it  start twice barely. But jumping battery to starter took right off.  Will check regulator tomorrow.

Thanks Kurzy
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 7:24pm
Kurzy, you have conflicting information... Battery will not start tractor, but if you jump to starter it will start... You back to dirty cables or bad ground...

Second , the battery appears to be charged, but you get 4 volts at starter when cranking... that ALSO says  BAD CABLES . ( or your solenoid has burnt contacts ?)

Third, when running, you only have 12 volts at the alternator... That says bad alternator or bad voltage regulaltor.
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 7:38pm

Howdy Steve,
  You could be right, solenoid, alternator and voltage regulator could all be junk. Battery cables are like new, put on when I restored tractor not so long ago. But tomorrow I am going to take them right off and start from scratch. Need to at lest eliminate that issue.

Thanks very much Kurzy
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:01pm
Put a load test on battery then through cables. Cables can be bad on inside. Have saw new tractors with bad cables that came across the big pond.                       MACK
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:02pm
Like Steve said look at the cables. not just at the battery, but both ends.
I just bought a loader from a man who was having the same problem. He had bought a new starter, same problem. I noticed that every time he hit start. the ground cable moved. It then started smoking where it attached to the frame. In this case the radiator frame.
I always run my grounds to one of the starter bolts.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:53pm
Instead of guessing and changing parts, do a voltage drop test. If you measure more than a couple tenths of a volt, you have unwanted resistance in your circuit. Under sized cables, or internally corroded cables can do it too.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 2:40am
Check the ends of the cables too... could be looking great and not have juice running through them.
 Undersize cable will get hot and self distruct under the covering or inside the terminal attachment on cables.
 Check every stud the cables are attached to to see if they have been heated or rusted or corroded.
  Yup, jumper cables can help find electrical issue, attach red jumper to batter + post and take other end of jumper and go down the line attaching other end to each connection till your at the Starter.  Have some body push the start button for each spot you start hooking up at... and if foot safety switch is in line yet, hold that down too... check for juice to starter solenoid to activate too...
  Easy check for alternator charging, if there is magnetism at rear of alternator center... Or put a small jumper from F post on alternator to Bat terminal on alternator and see if it makes the headlights shine bright... or the ammeter show charge.  Ammeters can be burnt out inside and not let charge through. 

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:14am
   Howdy JC,
   I will try jumping them two terminals. But can one run the tractor with wires off alternator and see what volts come out the alternator?

Thanks Kurzy
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:39am
yes, but ONLY providing the 'regulator' in built into the alternator and is a 'one wire' unit.
But you said 'wires' and that implies you've got a '3 wire' alternator ( 10SI,CS130, etc.) so no....

Not to sure why you want to do that though. Normal test is measure the battery now, write down the number(say it's 12.5), now start run tractor at mid throttle, measure the battery, write down the number(say it's 14.3). Since 14.3 is bigger than 12.5, alternator IS working. Now whether it's working 100%,you'd have to read the AMPS going from it into the battery.
PS, be sure the fan belt is tight ! MY FL alternator slowly unfixes itself...so just-a-bit-loose belt doesn't allow alternator to put FULL charge into battery. Takes about 1/2 year...one day I gotta fix it right as it's a royal PITA to retighten....one day, maybe,...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:50am

Howdy,
   Its only  a two wire. But will try both ways.

Thanks Kurzy
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:57am
A model "170" came from the factory with a 32 amp Delco-tron alternator with an external regulator, located under the battery tray on the left side.  Same set-up as many GM vehicles from the 1960's/early 70's.
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:57am

Howdy,
    Regulator on side of tractor below battery. I get 12 volts at battery or at alternator running or not. Took both wires off alternator, running at alternator alone is 1 volt!

Kurzy
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 7:18am
Checking at the clean battery posts you should see 12 volts (more or less) with engine OFF. Engine running at half throttle or more you should see more than 13 volts and probably 14 volts at the battery posts. Now go back to the ammeter posts and see what it says there to determine if the ammeter is good or not. Check BOTH ammeter posts !! Leave all wires connected at the alternator !!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 7:52am
" I get 12 volts at battery or at alternator running or not. Took both wires off alternator, running at alternator alone is 1 volt!"
 The origonal alternator had 3 wires connected to it. Battery wire with ring connector, field wire with a female spade connector and a ground wire with a slip on fit over grounding stud.
12 volts when running, Sounds like a charge problem.
  Do you have 12 volts at alternator on heavy wire connected to Bat post when tractor is off?  Should have exactly the same voltage there as the battery has when off.  You said you do have voltage there.
 Do you have voltage on 'F' wire that goes onto spade lug in back of alternator with switch off?  Should be Zero voltage when disconnected from alternator.
Do you have voltage on 'F'  wire when switch is on? Should read some kind of voltage like battery voltage when disconnected from alternator.  If not, regulator could be your problem.
  My quick check for alternator is to have engine running and lights on and take a wire from bat post on alternator and touch it to the F terminal on alternator and the lights should start getting brighter... or have a tester hooked to bat terminal and ground and should read 13.6+ or more voltage, if not, then the alternator is in need of repair. ---- Remember, when jumping from F terminal to bat terminal, you are putting the alternator into full output mode and do not run it any longer than needed to see the results.

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 8:12am
And  when everything is off, there should be no draw between BAt post on alt. and bat wire.  If there is, diodes are possibly bad.
 and like Doc said, check the ammeter because they can go bad... but since you have voltage at alternator bat wire, it should be alright. The ammeter needle does move when turning lights on ...correct?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 8:21am
Does the voltage regulator have a removable cover ?  Remove the cover and look at the contacts on the little relays.. When when the tractor is running, push the contact closed with a pencil or small stick. See if you get your 14 volts at the alternator with the contacts closed...  Its one or the other that is bad.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 4:19pm
Battery cables cause a lot of issues like this. I have been changing mine over to 1/0 wielding cable and it has solved a lot of my issues especially on 6v tractors. Make sure grounds are clean to bare metal and all other contacts clean.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 4:31pm
On those regulators, if you pay attention, you can hear them "click" when you turn on and off the key. No "click"??  no charge for sure.

Edited by DrAllis - 25 Sep 2021 at 4:32pm
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 4:15pm
   Howdy All,
   To let you all know where I am on this starting issue on My Ac 170 gas. I restored this tractor 3 - 4 years ago. When done everything working and up to snuff.

After much checking found loose connections on almost everything on dash. Push in connectors to threaded studs with small nuts. I hardly use this tractor so how in the world can that happen!
  Ok heres the good part, Took that new at the time ground cable right off. I remember I had to drill the ring connector out to 1/2 inch for the mounting stud. When I took that end off the ring was broke in half. Due to drilling out left little material around ring. Plus a little too much paint behind connection. Looking at the battery end of this cable didnt look right. Pot holes so to speak in the lead end. I cut this end into pieces, looked like a big empty hole around the wires coming in! How can that make a good connection?? So that cable when back to carquest and got a heavier one with a larger ring on other end. Back together and starts right up, still working on charging. I can start this tractor and start this tractor, leave the lights on high, still get 12 volts and no more. Lights are bright, no trouble turning over and for right now I am a happy camper! Will keep eye on volts as use this tractor. Might just be charging at 12 volts but it works!

Thanks all Kurzy

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 4:36pm
if its not charging, you will be able to start the tractor 50 times and run the lights for a few minutes before the battery goes dead... Check the voltage with the LIGHTS ON and see if it drops below 12v.... i assume the meter you are using is in good shape.

You can just put the battery on a trickle charger when not used, or put on a normal charger for 8 hours once a month and not worry about the alternator.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic