This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Basket Case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markmc60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basket Case
    Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 7:43am
OK, I have a D grader that was inherited by my bro in law and I ended up with it via trade.
the engine is in basket, (the valve cover to be exact). the short block is assembled after being rebuilt, new pistons, honed, pan on, lifters in their holes. head appears to be rebuilt valves appear new, lots of surface rust. the original owner passed away and not sure how long this sit before I got ahold of it. I have posted here before and now I have completed rebuilding my JD450 dozer and it is time to move on the grader. I am interested in how the engine is assembled. I have never seen a WD engine before. It appears to be fairly straight forward. I need someone I can bullcorn with and get some ideas of where what goes, we all know about them "whats!"
the serial number on the side of the block are WD 232162 CA or OA (I know it is an A, just cant hardly read the first to be certain a C or O).
I used a 3/4 drive 1 7/16 socket to make me a crankshaft adapter to turn the crank while ii is on my engine stand and it turns very well, I cleaned and re-honed/gonna do a little more cross hatch but the rings should seat.  I am certain I will have a few questions on the governor and getting the timing on for the dist.
I hope there is some interest in these older D graders, I need something like it on my hay farm.
thanks and look forward to getting this grader back together and back to work.

Sponsored Links

Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 10:16am
Good morning.   I am not a mechanic. I am sure a few mechanical helpers will be commenting shortly. The 'D Grader' is a great machine. Here is a picture of Calvin Schmidt grading his laneway with my 1967 'D Special'.
   Have you got some pictures of your grader? We all would like to see pictures of your project.    Ross. Sorry for the sizing.
markmc60 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markmc60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 10:25am
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 8:29pm
You should be able to get good info, from a WD tractor manual, on engine assembly...Thumbs Up
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 8:55pm
Nice job of grading! Lane in my sister-in-law's place now owned by the Dad of a world famous pop singer!

Edited by Calvin Schmidt - 22 Aug 2016 at 8:56pm
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
markmc60 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markmc60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 6:42am
URL=http://s1099.photobucket.com/
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 8:19am
Hey Cal! You look right at home on that thing brother! Nice job on the road!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic