This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Backhoe question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backhoe question?
    Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 1:52pm
I hate to ask about a John Deere backhoe on an AC board but it shouldn't be any worse than asking about a Massey these days. I work with a gentleman who seems to be an honest person and he purchased a used backhoe to work on his place while he was building a new house. The contractor had made him mad with his reply to him about digging a basement for such a large house and told him he could probably do it hisself if he had his own backhoe so he went and bought one. He has kept the backhoe for 2 or 3 years now and said he had been thinking about trading it for a small tractor to maintain his place. I asked him about selling it and he said he hadn't thought about it but he told me the history behind the purchase. He bought it with a problem in the hydraulic system ( contamination) and most of the seals were shot severely. Before he came to work with us, that was his area of expertise, so he bought it and rebuilt everything and flushed and replaced the fluid. He says I can park it in my garage for a week and there will not be a drop of anything on the floor. He said the tread on the tires was excellent when he bought it but that the sidewalls were cut up so severely that two of them would leak down so he took it and all new tires put on at a cost of $1800. He is kind of a stickler for everything being right. It is a '97 John Deere 310SE which is a turbo 80+ hp tractor with 4wd. It has about 1500 hours on it and he was guessing he would sell it to me for about $20K. Does anybody that has any knowledge about backhoes have any thoughts on this? Thanks
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 1:59pm
Unless you have a lot of money or plan on using it to make money the 20K is a lot to tie up in a toy.
 Sounds like a good machine for someone who would use it but for home use a lot to play with. My AC 715B cost half of that and I have put over 4000 hours on it since i owned it doing sewer and water and basements.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 5:59pm
Coke's right , that 's a lot of coins,especially today for a 'toy'.Sounds like a good machine( I've run Case 580,680s mostly) but if you're happy, he's happy and the wife's happy..then go for it.
David Gantt N.C. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Gantt N.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 6:54pm
I would look around abit longer, I can't see that kind of money if just to use once in a while, it does sound like a good machine, but what you decide to do is your business.
C. Burnett View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 7:24pm
I know that you gentlemen are right about it being too much for just a toy, which it would be. I know my practical side would have decided that in the end but just every now and then I wonder how it would be if my other side were to win an argument. I just had a hunch this was a good machine but as I tell my wife when she comes back from shopping, "just because something seems like a bargain doesn't mean it is if you have no use for it".
Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 7:16am

Might look at buy the a tractor back hoe unit. would be cheaper. seen a 1985 Ford  80 hp with hoe go for $6500 on November. On Hansonyoung .com. A Case 580 4 wheel drive loader Back hoe went for $8500 in April. Both where in good working order. The guy, I bought my 816 from, replaced it with a 2000 Case 580 he bought for 10 K. I gues what I'm trying to say is,  shop around. Like Coke said. It is best if  it will be making you money. Otherwise it is a expensive toy. 

Edited by Dave A - 26 Jan 2010 at 7:32am
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
Denis in MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis in MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 8:04am
I bought one of the original Case 530 Construction Kings a early 60's I believe.  It had a overhauled engine but needed tires I paid $3500 at the auction and drove it home.  I then found a set of brand new blemished tires "AKURET brand" at a local tire store and was able to get them delivered and installed for $500 cash. It leaks and needs a few cylinder seals and a I have replaced a few hoses, but I put in my own drain field and dug out stumps and fill dirt and it more than paid for it self in he first two years. I would not get rid of it for anything except maybe trade on a AC backhoe. At $20,000 you have alot of digging to get your money back but you may.  Depends on what you plan to use it for if your going into buisness it is probably a good machine if your looking for something to play with I would go a cheaper route, unless you plan to sell once you use it.
1938 B, 1945 B, 1941 IB, 1949 C, 2 1938 WCs, 3 1950 WDs, 1951 WD, 2 1955 WD45, 1957 D-14
Kevin(Alabama) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin(Alabama) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 8:36am
I farm alot of low creek bottoms around here and have a lot of beaver problems and have to have a backhoe around to tear out dams and have found that a Ford seems to be better in getting through  wet spots where others will break though the wet ground. 
"I would die a thousand deaths before I would betray a friend."...Sam Davis, Nov. 27, 1863.....DEO VINDICE
Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 9:26am
 a wanted to buy ad in the local farm paper might help with getting something for the right price. I found the 816, buy putting a WTB ad on Craigs list. Might be selling it, if I can come to a price agreement on a T-14 with hoe down the road

Edited by Dave A - 26 Jan 2010 at 9:28am
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 9:32am
How much work are you looking to do?  I know a lot of fellow around here that buy a decent shape 530 case for around the going rate.  Use it for the work they need to do, then sell it the next spring and get all or more of the money they put into it.  Better be sure exactly what you are buying but it works well.  Know quite a few fellows do the same thing with bulldozers every 10 years or so to clean out fence rows, making sure they have decent undercarrages and final drives before purchasing.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic