This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

back to square one,,,sorta,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: back to square one,,,sorta,,,,
    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:59am

Well,,I had commented on wantin to help a friend out with his forklift but couldn't find the dang thread,,,so,,,here I go again.
 A good friend has an older  Hyster Model RT100 forklift that he was using to move some old cars and trks around on his yard and the engine finally crapped out. I had done a southern engineerin job on the carburator as it was messing up and we could not locate a kit for it so I made an "adapter" from the Hyster manifold to a Carter I had laying around and it worked great till the engine crapped a couple of weeks ago. The engine in forklift is a 6 cylinder gas Silver Diamond Model GRD214.
 Then he bought what they told him was an Industrial Ford 6 cylinder that would bolt up to the Hyster bellhousing,,SOO I tool that engine home and was gonna get it tuned up and running for him to stick in the forklift. Flash forward,,the engine is out of a dang Ford Pinto or some such and it was locked up and after 2 weeks of the Acetone/Atf,treatment ,it finally broke loose but it has ZERO compression,,,rings prolly stuck really good and since it is NOT an industrial ,,it will not even bolt up to the hyster bellhousing. I convinced him to either overhaul the Hyster engine or find a used replacement somewhere.
 Does anybody here know if any other engines will interchange since the Hyster's are almost non-existing,,,? Prolly parts for his are gonna be even harder to find as well,,,,,,
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 10:52am
Well Joe, you remember you were just a good ole sucker sometime back?

Here you go.... was back at page 3.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 10:56am

JEEEEZE,,JC,,,you mad at me or something,,,,,?
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:21pm
Silver diamond makes me think its an International engine. Must be a few of them sitting around
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:49pm
i have a good 549 IH V-8 engine i'd sell to put in that!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 10:31pm
That 549 would would work well at keeping the back end on the ground!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

i have a good 549 IH V-8 engine i'd sell to put in that!

OK,,MY GOOD BUDDY,,,,,,you gots my attention now,,,,!!! Is the engine installed now or out of the vehicle? Tell me more, Shameless,,,tell me more,,,,,
  I did find an exact replacement  In Line 6 Cylinder that was on Propane and says in great running condition. It was taken out of a Hyster forklift too,,!!Clap
 Only'ist thing,,the dang engine is in Scranton, Pa,,,,,,,
 SAY,,,I have NOT heard anyone talkin bout any moving of tractors, engines in a long time,,,anybody still doing The Allis Express,,,,??
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 5:42am
there HAS to ba a zillion inline ford 6's around...used in welders, wood chippers, big water pumps.....yeah, gas but odds are can be converted to propane(maybe later ??).
I KNOW there's one 15 miles from me...kid was too lazy to install in HIS forklift, 15-20 years ago.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 6:41am
Hi Joe,Is a continental a no go?
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 6:53am
I've got a 300 six in an '89 E-150. Still use/drive it some.

Dusty

917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:09am
I'm pretty sure that is an international engine and you will have the easiest swap if you can find another IH engine in that series.  A true Ford industrial might work, I don't expect the car engines will without some modifications.  As we all know: time, money, a torch and welder can do a lot of things. 

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:25am

Well,,from what I've been reading lately,,the Ford inline 6 is out,, as there is no mention of it been used as a replacement for the Hyster. That 6 cylinder in PA would be the best candidate but getting it to here would be a killer.
 The Hyster owner just needs to get his engine pulled asap to check out the extent of the damage,,but like ole JohnCo says in another post,, the overhaul kits for industrial engines have become so friggin expensive,,it lots better to get a running engine and do a swap out.
 Hey JohnKc,,it sure good to hear from you,,!! I'm hopin the forklift owner can get the engine pulled on his forklift so we can measure out the bellhousing configuration on the Hyster to see what will interchange,,,? UMMmmm,,,you got one of them in your shed,,,??Wink
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:27am
Versatile 400 swathers used a ford industrial six cylinder engine. There's a bazillion of them around here. Darrel
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:44am
I have 3 continental long blocks for forklifts that have been overhauled.
2, 6 Cyl and 1, 4 cyl
I forget the model numbers right now.
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 8:01am

Hey JIM.ME,,,,many Thanks for that link, Guy. I didn't see this particular L6 listed as it has "Silver Diamond" cast on the left side of block and the Hyster info tag calls the engine out as a GRD-214 with 214.6 CID,,Bore=3.312, Stroke=4.125, and HP= 82.4.
 I would expect that most if not all of IH's older L6 engines would share the same bellhousing bolt pattern,,don't you think so,,and maybe even their earlier V8s?
 Again, Thanks Jim.
 Hey Darrel,,It good to hear from you too, Buddy,,,!! The wife has been making noises lately that she wants to go see her Momma as she is well along in her years. I kinda dread that LOOOOONG trip for so many reasons mainly for the accomodations like motel rooms with handicap accomodations along the way and even when we get there,,,so we may finally meet up one of these days,,,,Clap,,,,UMMmmm,,,BEFORE the first snow flies,,,,YIKES,,,,!!!!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 8:02am
Originally posted by johnkc johnkc wrote:

I have 3 continental long blocks for forklifts that have been overhauled.
2, 6 Cyl and 1, 4 cyl
I forget the model numbers right now.

PM sent
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 5:59pm
... models has a 3-5/6 inch bore and 4-1/8 inch stroke and develops 82.8 brake horsepower at 3400 r.p.m. ... GRD-214 / GRD-233 General Engine Specifications.
Missing: 214.6 ‎CID,, ‎3.312, ‎4.125, ‎82.4.
The International Harvester Company (IHC) has been building its own proprietary truck engines since the introduction of their first truck in 1907. International tended to use proprietary diesel engines. In the 1970s, IHC built the DVT 573 V-8 diesel of 240 and 260 hp (179 and ... stroke and a 5-inch (130 mm) bore, and produced around 18–20 hp (13–15 ...
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 1:26am
there is a hyster forklift at auction this week, www.delpeterson.com
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 9:14am

Yeah,,Shameless,,I seen that one but,,,I was kinda hopin to run across one a little closer,,like maybe just down the street,,,,,LOL
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 2:02pm
Well, one of you could make a road trip......just an ideeer...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:16pm

I have not heard any discussion on anybody moving anything with " THE ALLIS EXPRESS" in the longest,,,,did that very good thing just go away,,??
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:16am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

I have not heard any discussion on anybody moving anything with " THE ALLIS EXPRESS" in the longest,,,,did that very good thing just go away,,??

They still haven’t delivered my Jeep yet.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Yeah, Thad,,but,,,,but,,,we sha'nt give up so easy,,,I just KNOW ole Shameless is just testin our ,,,,resolve,,,,,Clap I've made him a couple of "deals" that most anybody would of snapped them right up,,,,  Every mornin,,I take a look towards the northeast,,,thinkin thet Big Boy Chevy of his be pullin thet trailer of his just chock full of them goodies that he don't NEED no more,,,,, I ain't givin up just yet,,even tho,,it HAS been some time,,,,,WinkWinkWink
 SAY,,,maybe he's got the neighbor yard hand pullin thet International Harvestor emgine he offered,,,yep,,thas prolly why,,,,,ClapClap
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 7:59am

Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Yeah, Thad,,but,,,,but,,,we sha'nt give up so easy,,,I just KNOW ole Shameless is just testin our ,,,,resolve,,,,,Clap I've made him a couple of "deals" that most anybody would of snapped them right up,,,,  Every mornin,,I take a look towards the northeast,,,thinkin thet Big Boy Chevy of his be pullin thet trailer of his just chock full of them goodies that he don't NEED no more,,,,, I ain't givin up just yet,,even tho,,it HAS been some time,,,,,WinkWinkWink
 SAY,,,maybe he's got the neighbor yard hand pullin thet International Harvestor emgine he offered,,,yep,,thas prolly why,,,,,ClapClap

Now that you say it, he does have a big boy and lots of trailers. He could be quite a hotshot driver. He could haul the Jeeps and Chevallis for a test run. Oh I think he’s gonna do quite well. Prolly haul our stuff for free just for thinking of it.
I think I’m gonna go hide ole Yeller that way when he pulls in all he will see is my GMC , Jenny’s Jeep and orange tractors.

Edited by Thad in AR. - 13 Sep 2020 at 8:01am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 8:41am

Well,,thas a great idea,,,I best go move that dang Ford Ranger and the Ford Explorer over to the neighbor's down the street,,,,can't have him thinkin I gots anything to do with them dang ferds,,,,,,,,,LOL
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 12:11pm
Dreamers  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic