This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B Valve Train Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 8:34am
Originally posted by drobCA drobCA wrote:

pretty sure previous owner here got too aggressive with a hammer - mine has been broken and welded back together.  works good tho.

main reason I'm following your progress (and generated advice) is that after I get this #$%@ 8N's multiple problems resolved my B becomes front and center for a second round look at getting it totally sweet.

got to!  you never know when Bill Long might drop by... don't I wish!!!

My father-in-law bought another B just for the PTO/belt drive that has a freeze busted block. He paid something like $25 for it. I thought this tractor had a starter hole, but it is another ‘38. This parts tractor is now here at my place. While the gas tank is a rusted out hunk of junk it has many good parts. From the torque tube back is in pretty good shape, and the steering sector is tight too. The cam and crank look to be in pretty good shape, and the cam has been in the electrolysis tank and came out clean. I am going to salvage as many parts as possible off this second B and use what I need and sell the rest. That junk tractor has the front hubs with automotive style wheel lugs, and will probably go on the B I am trying to save.
Put the bunny back in the box!
1938 B, 1977 Yanmar YM2200

No private messages:
use email:
theropod AT yahoo DOT com
Sponsored Links

theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 8:52am

Here is my pop-in-law unloading the other B.

No private messages:
use email:
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 9:50pm
thropod,  What a challenge you have taken on to restore that B.  I congratulate you for taking the challenge and cheer from the sidelines.  Thanks for all you are doing to keep my favorite alive.
You know, I only wish I was able to stop by to see your progress.  It would be my honor.  However, long trips are just out of the question for me now. 
Keep us informed as to how it goes.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  I review my posts from time to time and this popped up.  Just had to respond.           Also, Listen closely to what Dick L says.  He in one fine mechanic.
davh View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote davh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 6:41am
Would love to see a pic of your 55 gal plastic electrolysis setup sometime.  Been thinking of making one myself.  Love all the comments of this forum and the progress of your B.  Hope all continues to go well.
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 7:09am
Originally posted by Bill Long Bill Long wrote:

thropod,  What a challenge you have taken on to restore that B.  I congratulate you for taking the challenge and cheer from the sidelines.  Thanks for all you are doing to keep my favorite alive.
You know, I only wish I was able to stop by to see your progress.  It would be my honor.  However, long trips are just out of the question for me now. 
Keep us informed as to how it goes.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  I review my posts from time to time and this popped up.  Just had to respond.           Also, Listen closely to what Dick L says.  He in one fine mechanic.

I fully agree with your opinion about Dick L. His picture of the magneto drive dog/slot position alone was an eye opener. It took most of the mystery out of the issue for me. His advice to shim up the rocker assembly was top shelf!

Just yesterday the last piece of sheet metal came out of my electrolysis tank, the toolbox/steering column shroud, and is now primed. Now I am anxious for the magneto to arrive and get the old machine to make noise again. Those Autolite 295’s are gapped and installed! The engine needs to run, and get warmed up. I can then set the valve clearance, and steam off any water I know is still hiding down deep in the block.

This project means a great deal to me. Being a family heirloom is first on that list. Saving a antique is important to me as well. Then there is the aspect of keeping me busy, which this sure has done! I am not particularly a tractor geek, but I love old machines of all kinds. I can’t afford to restore an old car or truck so the B is my outlet.

So much remains ahead of me. I have to clean up the entire drive train, and then get it repainted. I am still leaning toward flat black for that. Then the rear rims and tires need to be bought. I need a new manifold, and muffler, too as rust has eaten a couple holes almost an inch wide into the exhaust side, and I don’t want any warped valves! I looked long and hard at my old rims and they are just too far gone to be safe or reliable. The front rims can be saved, but my father-in-law’s spare tractor has 5 stud hubs and I am going to use those for sheer simplicity, and get 3 rib tires mounted on new rims. I am going to box in under the seat bracket and carry all my onboard tools in that, and I am going to try to build my own seat. The gearbox and final drives need drained and lubes refilled. After all that, and the other things I haven’t found that need fixed, is done I will then have to reassemble everything with a ton of new fasteners. Yeah, this is almost overwhelming, but I am mule stubborn when I set my mind on something, and the old B is going to be saved from being turned into Chinese junk.

Don’t worry about keeping y’all updated. I am not shy by any means! I take pride in doing something like this, and am documenting nearly every step with photos. My science training forces me to document trivial things, and I have a small notebook just for the B. My restoration isn’t for show, or to impress folks. I am doing this to save the B! I despise rust with a passion!

Anyone that wants to come visit and look over the B is more than welcome. Just give me a heads up so I can let you in past the gate we keep locked 24/7. Meth monkeys worry the hell out of us, and I take my home defense very seriously. Just leave me a private message and we’ll work out the time. Some of y’all might be interested in checking out our off grid electrical system too.

No private messages:
use email:
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 7:36am
Originally posted by davh davh wrote:

Would love to see a pic of your 55 gal plastic electrolysis setup sometime.  Been thinking of making one myself.  Love all the comments of this forum and the progress of your B.  Hope all continues to go well.

I will get a picture or two of the tank today, and post them. The seat bracket needs dunking so I will post a picture of that going in, and then after it gets cleaned up. It doesn’t have a speck of paint left on it so the process should go faster than the sheet metal parts I have treated so far that had dead paint insulating the steel from the electrolyte. That dead paint gets as soft as if paint stripper had been applied, but with no toxic mess left over.

I wish I had discovered this process years ago. There’s no telling how much time I have spent sanding and grinding on old parts from other projects. I am still amazed at how well it just kills rust. I have seen where other folks used kiddie swimming pools for even larger parts, but the plastic drum is plenty big enough for the parts from the B.

I have a set of barrels from a seriously old shotgun I found while doing survey work looking for dinosaur bones in South Dakota. They were out on the badlands miles and miles from anything. Turst me when I say I looked hard for the reciever! When I get time it is getting the treatment. If those barrels could talk there’s no telling what story they could tell.

No private messages:
use email:
davh View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:11am
What do you use for a power source? And how many rods around the barrel?  Thx. Dave
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:29am
Be sure there is some valve gap before starting it, probably 5 or 10  thousanths more than the hot specification.

Gerald J.
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by davh davh wrote:

What do you use for a power source? And how many rods around the barrel?  Thx. Dave

An old non automatic 12 volt 10 amp battery charger, and right now 5 rods. I have used old web wire fencing and it works great, but it's very hard to clean up when it gets coated in junk.

Here are the images I took this morning. The first one is of the barrel with the seat bracket just barely showing. There was a little paint left on it, but very little. I topped up the barrel with more electrolyte to cover the bracket completely. I expect 3-4 days will have it ready to wire brush, rinse off and prime. Note the broken weld near the all thread rod I use to suspend the parts.

The next picture is of the rods arrayed and the charger clamps attached.

The last picture is a closeup of the process starting. Note the foam forming around the anodes. As the process goes on a skim of gunk covers the surface, and I skim that off and throw it on the ash pile.

No private messages:
use email:
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

Be sure there is some valve gap before starting it, probably 5 or 10  thousanths more than the hot specification.

Gerald J.

Yep. I have them set at 15 thousandths now, which might be a tad tight after it gets warmed up, but I am gonna be careful to make sure they don't burn.

No private messages:
use email:
davh View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote davh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 2:44pm
Great pics of the Electrolysis setup!  Going to set mine up this weekend and try it out.  I have projects that will keep it going for some time!  Thanks for the pics and explaining the details of the setup.   Dave
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 4:09pm
I have been really enjoying the dialogue back and forth on this project, and like many others learned quite a bit.  DickL has  a world of experience and much to teach would be mechanics such as myself.
Rooting for your success from north of the 49th.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 4:42pm
Just a comment/ question? I haven't had my E tank fired up for a while, but I usually see bubbles at the part being cleaned, can't remember seeing much bubbles from the sacrificial anodes?? And I can never remember the correct hook up of the pos and neg!?
If the parts are clean then its good! I like the process a lot too.
Your doing a good job on bringing the B back to life. When you talk about running it for a while I assume you have radiator and water cooling systems functioning?
Sorry for the questions.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 5:35pm
The silver coated copper core plug wire showed up today and I have cut it to length and the little clips are soldered on to the plug ends. I used one of my plugs to make sure the boots were set so the rubber goes down past the ribs of the porcelain to the smooth part, but not touching the steel shank. The ends that attach to the magneto cap have the clips too, but I formed little blunt spikes that fit into the dimples of the distributor copper contacts like a glove. That wasn’t all that hard to do as I over applied solder and let it form little teardrops that I formed to fit with needle nosed pliers. When I get everything to fit just so a small bead of high temp RTV will seal the wire to the boots.

The magneto didn’t make it today, but tracking shows it to be in route. I am another step closer to getting the B to make some noise. Maybe tomorrow.

I am thinking about packing the exhaust half of the manifold in fiberglass wool to keep the air from rushing back in and warping exhaust valves after I shut it down. Yes, a new manifold is on the list. I have just spent beyond my budget for the month. A new carb, wires, plugs and mag has done me in. Good thing this was the wifes dads old tractor!

Thanks for all the kind words y’all. I figure the least I can do is share my journey since I am getting so much help from this awesome group. The way I see it I am, and will be, getting the better end of this deal. If what I am doing can help someone else all the better.

No private messages:
use email:
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Just a comment/ question? I haven't had my E tank fired up for a while, but I usually see bubbles at the part being cleaned, can't remember seeing much bubbles from the sacrificial anodes?? And I can never remember the correct hook up of the pos and neg!?
If the parts are clean then its good! I like the process a lot too.
Your doing a good job on bringing the B back to life. When you talk about running it for a while I assume you have radiator and water cooling systems functioning?
Sorry for the questions.
Regards,
 Chris

I too see bubbles coming off the part being cleaned, which is the CATHODE, or negative post. In my picture above my ANODE, or positive, rods have just been given an angle grinder wire brushing down to bright steel, and always seem to go nuts bubbling after that. The part being cleaned spreads the bubbles out more, and the bubbles rise straight up around the rods.

No, the cooling system is not functional yet. I don’t plan on running it long enough for the engine to get seriously hot. Maybe 5-10 minutes depending. When the block gets warm to the touch I will shut it down. When I am satisfied with the function of the running, and set the valve clearance, I will mount the radiator. I want to flush out the block and radiator before mounting them. Mice may have crammed junk in the block as the water pump was off for a long time. My plan is to jam a hose into the bottom/intake of the block and make sure there is not a wad of nesting material that would get sucked/pushed into the radiator. I think the new water pump will push anything like that out. I have removed the thermostat and will put a long hose on the housing so I don’t soak the mag or carb. I was thinking about putting a screen in line with the thermostat housing to catch any junk that might be in there. I will face that problem when I get to it. I don’t think running the engine for a few minutes under close observation is much of a risk. Every car engine I have rebuilt has followed this pattern, and I haven’t cooked one yet.

Edited by theropod - 01 Dec 2017 at 6:13pm

No private messages:
use email:
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 8:03pm
I wouldn't run it 5 minutes without water in the block. The heat is built inside the firing chamber heating the sleeves and valves. Without water around the sleeves they are going to be really hot before you will feel much heat on the outside of the block.
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

I wouldn't run it 5 minutes without water in the block. The heat is built inside the firing chamber heating the sleeves and valves. Without water around the sleeves they are going to be really hot before you will feel much heat on the outside of the block.

OK, I will get that cooling system flushed and sorted.

Perhaps that screen between the thermostat and radiator can cover my backside in case mice made a nest in the block. Again, I might be over thinking the issue, but a plugged up radiator is something I cannot deal with right now. Could I run it without the pump belt and just have coolant in there?

I have never delt with a sleeved engine before, again my assumption was wrong and learned something.

Edit: OK, I am going to flush the block and make a metal screen wire “cone” to fit inside the upper radiator inlet with enough extra to overlap the outside and clamp down with the hose. I may have to change it several times, but I cannot allow that radiator to get plugged with trash.

Edited by theropod - 01 Dec 2017 at 8:52pm

No private messages:
use email:
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 8:51pm
on the electrolysis , how long it works ( hours) and how often it needs cleaned, depends on the "rods" that collect the rust / paint/ crud off your parts......... one thing you might try is to replace the "rods" with material that has more surface area...... I have used 1 or 2 inch pipe , flat strap 2 inches wide / 1/4 inch thick , 2 inch angle iron,  old leaf spring off a car, etc....... MORE SURFACE area is good... use 3-4 equally spaced around the barrel.

old steel fence post cut to 30 inch lengths would also work !

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Dec 2017 at 8:53pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

on the electrolysis , how long it works ( hours) and how often it needs cleaned, depends on the "rods" that collect the rust / paint/ crud off your parts......... one thing you might try is to replace the "rods" with material that has more surface area...... I have used 1 or 2 inch pipe , flat strap 2 inches wide / 1/4 inch thick , 2 inch angle iron,  old leaf spring off a car, etc....... MORE SURFACE area is good... use 3-4 equally spaced around the barrel.

old steel fence post cut to 30 inch lengths would also work !

Makes sense. I will dig around my scraps and see what I can come up with.

No private messages:
use email:
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 3:44pm
OK, A buddy of mine gave me a set of leaf springs from an old dead log truck and I cut a couple up to make new anodes for my electrolysis setup. I am redoing my hood and gas tank for the B with the same primer/sanding/painting process as the fenders, radiator shroud and tool box. I am amazed at the difference as the paint I applied in late August is already peeling and the part is absolutely foaming! Maybe I can have it cleaned up and primed before the weekend, as we are off to the in-laws for Christmas. We'll be down in Mena, AR for a few days and tractor work will be on hold.

Above is a shot of the barrel with the springs used for the anodes. I used my angle grinder to cut them to length and kept the curls from the attachment points to hook over the edges.

Above is a closeup of how the paint I applied in late summer is already starting to soften and come loose. I think this may be a good move as not only is the color match not right the smoothness of the finished paint is just much better with a good layer of primer to bind to. When the hood is finished the gas tank is going to get the treatment too. The huge anodes seem to be working much much better. I skimmed off the crud to show the progress, and this has only been going on for about two hours.

I know the hood is exposed here, and will turn the thing over to get to the now exposed end treated before ending the electrolysis on this part.

No private messages:
use email:
john2189 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:59pm
Theropod,  on the parts tractor, what are the front hubs?  
'41 Allis B
'45 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub
'72 IH Cub
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 5:12am
Originally posted by john2189 john2189 wrote:

They are 5 lug type, and I am not sure of the pattern. They “look” like Ford spacing, but I haven’t given them a good looking at yet. In the unloading picture one can see that there is a brake drum on one side and a bare steel wheel on the other. I do know these were not standard equipment for a 38, and were added who knows when. The donor had a freeze cracked block when my pop-in-law bought it for parts. I am going to get the donor jacked up and pull them off late next week as I begin to split the old machine. I am going to pull the entire steering system off, so they need to go anyway. The transmission and differential seem to be in good shape, but no PTO. I will probably have to replace the bearings and get new seals, and I am not sure about the spindles if they are the same as the ones on my 38.

I will get a picture of the hubs and post it later today. I have to make a run into town early today and pick up a goodie for the wife’s Christmas present. My problem there is she was born on Christmas day, so it’s a double tap for me.

No private messages:
use email:
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 7:16am
I get it. My wife's birthday was the 11th, my Mom's birthday on the 15th, my anniversary (25) was yesterday, then there's Christmas.
1951 B
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 8:56am
I wish I had your work ethic theropod. My projects seem to sit idle most of the time. I've tried the electrolysis. I can see that it will work, but my problem is my battery charger. I have to use a battery in line just to get it to run, then when the battery reaches 100% the charger shuts off. I can't keep the process going long enough to accomplish anything. I've tried using a worthless battery that wouldn't charge up in a 100 years and that don't work either. I need to find a older charger that still works. I'm enjoying keeping up with your progress, but it reminds me of my lack of progress lol. Keep up the good work.
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 9:53am
This charger from Tractor Supply will work.  It's what I use.  It doesn't need a battery to run as it is old tech, a dumb charger, if you will.  Inexpensive.

Edited by HoughMade - 20 Dec 2017 at 9:55am
1951 B
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by theropod theropod wrote:

Originally posted by john2189 john2189 wrote:

They are 5 lug type, and I am not sure of the pattern. They “look” like Ford spacing, but I haven’t given them a good looking at yet. In the unloading picture one can see that there is a brake drum on one side and a bare steel wheel on the other. I do know these were not standard equipment for a 38, and were added who knows when. The donor had a freeze cracked block when my pop-in-law bought it for parts. I am going to get the donor jacked up and pull them off late next week as I begin to split the old machine. I am going to pull the entire steering system off, so they need to go anyway. The transmission and differential seem to be in good shape, but no PTO. I will probably have to replace the bearings and get new seals, and I am not sure about the spindles if they are the same as the ones on my 38.

I will get a picture of the hubs and post it later today. I have to make a run into town early today and pick up a goodie for the wife’s Christmas present. My problem there is she was born on Christmas day, so it’s a double tap for me.

Above is the inside view of the 5 lug hub with the brake drum mounted for some reason.

Above is what that looks like from the outside.

Here's what the other side looks like with a steel wheel. Below is the inside view of that.

Of course the seals are non existent, and the bearing are rusted junk, but just by looking these hubs seem to be about right to fit on my project B. I had plans on making the front end tighter anyway, so new races and bearings were already on the menu. My upright pivots bushings (whatever they're called) are in much better shape than this, but probably need replacing nonetheless.

With these hubs I should be able to find some nice new steel rims and 3 ribbed tires to follow. Maybe some flat spoke 4 " wide trailer rims? Yep, new studs and maybe chrome nuts on both. I think the brake drum was just used as a spacer, but I will look into the difference more fully when I pull things apart. Both hubs look exactly the same to me.

Is there a chance these are hubs for an old pickup, or trailer, and never intended for the tractor? I know AC didn't offer these in 1938. My tractor has the disc looking center with a set of hoop type wheels that lock at 4 points with bolts.

No private messages:
use email:
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by HoughMade HoughMade wrote:

I get it. My wife's birthday was the 11th, my Mom's birthday on the 15th, my anniversary (25) was yesterday, then there's Christmas.

Sustained assault, eh?

LOL

No private messages:
use email:
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by HoughMade HoughMade wrote:

This charger from Tractor Supply will work.  It's what I use.  It doesn't need a battery to run as it is old tech, a dumb charger, if you will.  Inexpensive.

No, don't give up on the process. It is just too cool.

It takes the ability to apply sustained wattage. Think of this as a battery in reverse, and instead of acid as the electrolyte this is a base. The electrolyte carries the current from anode to cathode, and displaces iron oxide (live rust) with ferrite (dead rust). An extra oxygen atom is added to the iron oxide which stops that molecule of iron/steel from reacting with oxygen further. The iron molecule cannot absorb another oxygen atom.

cathode ( + ) {sacrificial steel}
anode ( - ) {part to be treated}.

The supply voltage can vary, but probably shouldn't.

amp X volts = watts.
12 V X 10 amps = 120 watts

This is what I am running when my anodes are fresh. The amperage drops as crud collects on the anode and reduces surface area.

That isn't a lot of power!

I would love to try the DC function on a good welder where I could crank the voltage AND amperage.

48 V X 15 amps = 720 watts

To do that with 12 V it would take nearly 33.8 amps! A 50 amp charger should be able to do the same thing, or better, IF it is not one of these computerized jobs. What is needed is a constant flow of power through the process.

How many watts are applied determines the POTENTIAL action of the process. As I have learned larger plate size on the anode side makes a big difference in not only speed/efficiency of the process, but greatly increase the longevity of anodes. With the little 1/2" rods I was using I had to clean them every 8 hours, or less, to keep a good reaction going. With these big wide springs I ground to shiny steel before using them they only need wire brush cleaned every couple days. Again this will depend on how covered in rust the part to be cleaned is.

My hood has very little, if any, rust, but the process gets under paint and works on the steel anyway. Just checking it and it already looks like paint stripper has been applied. After a couple more days my angle grinder wire brush should clean it up enough to rinse it off in hot soapy water, dry it, sand it, clean it again, prime it, sand it, clean it again and finally paint it. Then my gas tank is going to get another round in the barrel, and refinished.

Whew!

Edited by theropod - 20 Dec 2017 at 3:23pm

No private messages:
use email:
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

I wish I had your work ethic theropod. My projects seem to sit idle most of the time. I've tried the electrolysis. I can see that it will work, but my problem is my battery charger. I have to use a battery in line just to get it to run, then when the battery reaches 100% the charger shuts off. I can't keep the process going long enough to accomplish anything. I've tried using a worthless battery that wouldn't charge up in a 100 years and that don't work either. I need to find a older charger that still works. I'm enjoying keeping up with your progress, but it reminds me of my lack of progress lol. Keep up the good work.

Just tryin to stay busy. I firmly believe sittin on your backside after retirement leads to an early grave. I'm going to go til I can't.

See my other post. I realized I quoted the wrong person and I ain't changing it.

No private messages:
use email:
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 5:21pm
Looks like the brake drum was there to space that rim from the hub a bit so the rim and tire didn't drag on the axle end. The other rim has more offset.

Tractor fronts or wagon wheels will be available with several offsets and will be reversible to allow using positive or negative offset with the same rim.

Gerald J.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic