This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B timing cover bolt torque

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00transamnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B timing cover bolt torque
    Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 11:49am
Anyone have a torque spec for the timing cover bolts for a B?
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 1:07pm
The IT manual I have does not give a specific torque but I would say just a bit past snug; you don't want the bolts working loose but neither do you want to warp the cover. A thin paper gasket will tolerate a lot more torque than a thicker cork gasket. The manual did state that there a 3 different length bolts that need to go in the proper location. This older equipment is a lot more forgiving of inaccurate torque than what is out there today, most of the old farmers didn't even own a torque wrench. That being said, you won't go wrong by using one.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 1:11pm
I never use torque wrench. You need tighten enough so they are past snug. If you tighten enough to bend the top down at the bolts it is to much and will leak. 
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 8:07pm
good and snug but don't over tighten
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 10:25am
Keep in mind there was a special tool required to align the cover for the front crank seal. When I overhauled my CA engine I noticed there were no alignment dowels. It was also much easier to install the new seal with the cover off the engine. To align it I stood the engine on the flywheel end and allowed the seal to position the cover. Hasn't leaked a drop in nearly 20 years.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 10:26am
Now that I think about it, I think somebody made an alignment tool, might have been from a piece of PVC pipe. Might have been Don Bradley...
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 10:29am
Don made one out of PVC. It's in his oil pan gasket video. I made one too out of a lock collar.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic