This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AUCTION RITUALS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 4:40pm
Yep I don't care how bad I need something, if there is a buyers premium, I'll go buy a new one before I pay a buyers premium. I won't attend a sale with one.
Sponsored Links

exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by TimCNY TimCNY wrote:

Red Bank, ditto here! 100% of the auctions I've been to, some one or other finds what they want and they (and sometimes their family as well) literally sits on the piece. They glare at anyone that comes near. Every once in awhile I have a little fun when I see it happen, especially if they're giving someone a hard time about looking at it; I go over, look excited, pull out my cell phone and (without dialing of course) tell my brother-in-law that he has to get over here NOW and bring all the money he can get his hands on, that whichamajigger he's been searching for is RIGHT HERE!!! Anyways...
Usually it's someone that can't afford the piece anyway but not always. I went to a collectors liquidation a few years back. Guy had two basket case TD-6's and a bunch of new parts. Since I had a TD-6 at the time I figured $2500.00 would keep me in spare parts until the dirt nap. There was a guy and his wife in beach chairs sitting near them watching the auction. Come time for the dozers I stuck my hand up and left it up. So did the guy camped out. We blew through $2500.0 as fast as Russ Kiko could rap and I surrendered. Turns out all this guy did was buy,fix and sell small dozers. He said he was willing to go to $5000.00 just to keep me out or make me pay full retail.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by 200Tom1 200Tom1 wrote:

Yep I don't care how bad I need something, if there is a buyers premium, I'll go buy a new one before I pay a buyers premium. I won't attend a sale with one.

Good one less person to bid against.

My math skills are good enough to know if I budget $10,000 for a item and they have a 10% premium I can pay $9,000 and be ok.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 5:37am
When to a livestock sale yesterday.
A guy I know decided he wanted 2 feeder pigs. Should of sold for $15-$20 each.
A couple of the penhookers seen how bad he wanted them and ran him up to  $55.50 each.
OldSchoolRecovery View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:28pm
I get better deals at consignment auctions.  Around here, there is both a buyers and a sellers fee.  % is based on amount.  Anywhere from 3% to 12%.  As an example, if an item sells for 1000 bucks, the seller gets 845 ($25 dollar lot fee) and the buyer pays 1100+tax.  Auction house makes 225 bucks. 

As my cousin says "cost of doing business".

Anyway, if you can't figure it out (the buyers premium), then you probably should not be bidding.  And, you should have a good idea of what you going to bid to also.

And, from my many years of auctions, there is no real strategy to bidding.  Just go to the number you had figured and walk away.  I hate the guys who string it out.  Not sure what they are trying to do.  I still have my number and will stop when it gets there, and bid it up as quickly as I can.  No sense in dragging it out.

My favorite time was when I was looking at and bidding on a "dead" truck.  In the ad, and posted on the truck, "truck does not start".  For three hours, before bidding and while actual bidding was taking place at least a hundred guys got in it and tried to start it.  Can't believe the battery lasted that long.  I didn't get it.  Ran it up to 2,800, stopped and the next guy got it for 2,900.  Took all of about three minutes..  2,800 was my number.

One caveat would be when the bid is jumping by 100's and my number is $650, I will let them know that, by saying 650, etc.  My last tractor was $650.00.  LOL..

And, that is all that everyone does is pull the dipstick on every piece of equipment.  I laugh.  It's not like anyone would change the oil before bringing it to the auction if it had a head gasket leak.  I like dark used looking oil.  Fresh oil, you never know.. 

Just sayin,

Carl

1942 Farmall H
1940 Allis B
1944 Allis B
1945 2N
1947 8N
1948 8N
1951 8N
1949 JD M
1951 JD A
1951 JD AW
1951 WD
1952 Allis D Grader
1957 D14
1958 D17
1961 Case 440L
1963 IH Lo Cub<
John (MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 7:31pm
Best auctions are those others don't go to. Too hot, too cold, don't like the auctioneer, buyers premium, it don't matter why. $100 is $100, whether it's $10 for the bid and $90 for a premium or $100 bid and no premium. If you can't do grade school math, go to an overpriced sporting event instead.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:51pm
When I bought my bucket truck a few years ago, it was written on the windshield,"doesn't run, leaks fluid".  I bought it for $3,000, I'd talked to one of the lot guys who told me it had been driven off the trailer.  Discovered the batteries were weak and the leak was a water pump gasket, which cost $7.  I'd originally planed to just make a trailer out of it and tow it with my Freightliner or a tractor, but it turned out to be too nice a truck.  Still driving it.  One of my best auction buys.
I've never had the nerve to try it but I know some people just bid the price they are willing to pay, at the beginning and quit bidding, some times it works, usually it doesn't.
Watched a guy buy a couple good 38" tires on IHC rims for $400, auctioneer was trying to get $100 at the time, nobody bid him up.  Probably worth nearly twice that.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic